PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with Hydra with VC?

him_15
22-08-2008, 16:25
It's hard to kill as hell, any idea?

g0ddy
22-08-2008, 16:34
Wraiths will kill it... but it will be a pain in the ass... Spirit Hosts could just tie it up...

Other than that.. you "could" take Fire or better yet... METAL magic (likey more useful) with one of your wizards and try and deal with it that way.

You should also just be able to tie it up with something... but it will kill a lot of them.. especially in the first round.

~ zilla

theunwantedbeing
22-08-2008, 16:43
Wraiths/banshee, spirit host, blood knights, black knights.

Frostblade, the D3 wounds great weapon, the flaming lance + red fury(among other things).

Fire/metal magic..metal being a tiny bit more useful as it'll ignore the save of the thing for 2/3 spells that deal it st4 hits.
Unseen lurker, in2 hydra falls down big hole in the ground (just like a vargulf does :P)
The beast cowers, hydra can't move or fight in combat

The hydra isnt half as hard as people think it is.

Red_Duke
22-08-2008, 17:08
Plus Grave Guard with banner of flaming attacks could give it some trouble. Especially if combined with a Corpse Cart and helm of commandment for ASF hitting on 3s goodness!

szlachcic
22-08-2008, 17:14
A lot of these suggestions take into account that you KNOW you are facing a DE army with a Hydra (or two) and you tailor your lists.

That being said, I think VCs have many ways they could tie up a Hydra or even kill it with Knights (of either kind). Hydras are tough, but they aren't that tough.

g0ddy
22-08-2008, 17:33
Wraiths and or spirit hosts is something 'every army' should have... regardless of build ;)

When in doubt.. just tie it up with something...

~ zilla

fubukii
22-08-2008, 17:34
spirit hosts are a good unit, i and if you have high lvl casters (which you iwll being a vc player) cast wind of undeath bam free spirit hosts, preceed to vanhels or charge them into the hydra.

Gokamok
22-08-2008, 17:38
Wraiths and or spirit hosts is something 'every army' should have... regardless of build ;)

When in doubt.. just tie it up with something...

~ zilla

In a tournament list, many VC players (including myself) will not use ethereals since they're rather useless against deamons and such.

But, Blood Knights, Forbidden Lore, tarpitting should all do the trick:D

sulla
23-08-2008, 02:25
A lot of these suggestions take into account that you KNOW you are facing a DE army with a Hydra (or two) and you tailor your lists.

That being said, I think VCs have many ways they could tie up a Hydra or even kill it with Knights (of either kind). Hydras are tough, but they aren't that tough.

Well, then, a fully ranked unit of ghouls charging him should do the trick, especially if you give them vanhel's to reroll the misses in combat. Don't use the helm to boost their ws though; you want a bigger chance of rolling poison, not a bigger chance of hitting. Even if you don't kill it, you still have a good chance of taking it out of the game for a long time.

Or a unit of black knights with the flaming banner. If you are talking tourney composition (which the original poster wasn't), then this is a useful utility unit anyway, what with all the regen out there at tourneys.

Calyst
23-08-2008, 03:31
I actually just recently played as VC against DE and had the hydra pursue into a graveguard (shields not gw) unit. When my turn came up I made zombies and danced em into the hydra's flank. The hydra lost the CR and was caught on the pursuit....no more hydra.

Hvidponi
24-08-2008, 01:09
Blood Knight Champion with Flaming Lance or Almost any unit (but my favorite is Black Knights) with Hellfire Banner... 5 Cairn Wratihs, as well as any big unit of skeletons or grave guards... A Vampire with a Great Weapon... There are just so many...

Latro
24-08-2008, 07:37
Just regular Skeleton Warriors with the Helm of commandment nearby will defeat the Hydra just fine after the first round ... 'nuff said.

:cool: