PDA

View Full Version : Superstitions, saying and taking it too far.

Rathgar
06-11-2005, 14:29
Multi purpose thread this one.

Firstly, do you have any funny superstitions or traditions when you roleplay? I always leave my d10s with the "10" side facing up, so they learn that that’s the best side to land on (most of the time…).

Secondly, do your groups have any lingo or sayings that you've acquired through roleplaying games? Thanks to WHFRP, a hangover now feels like "being critical +10'd in the head".

Third and finally, do you ever just take it too far? Using roleplaying analogies in real life when you really shouldn't. Me and Athamas were in a pub before I left England, it all started to go down hill when we got the dice out and decided that the best way to tell if we were drunk was to take "consume alcohol tests" cue half hour argument about our relative toughness. Needless to say, many a Charm test was failed that night (so you wanna pull the bar maid? Ok, -40% for being such a total geek...).

Is this kind of behaviour normal or am I completely insane?

EDIT: Bugger, the title should say sayingS not saying! If a friendly mod could fix it it'd be a very happy rabbit.

warlordgrubnatz
06-11-2005, 15:59
your completley insane lol

Ash Maker
06-11-2005, 19:29
You are indeed insane, but in a very humourous way.
Hehe.

Wiseman
07-11-2005, 04:18
im willing to conform, you have a serious lack of sanity,

athamas
07-11-2005, 08:53
That is soooo not fair...

the fact that one of our friends keeps going into character and calcualting the probability of sucsess in any give situation is completly normal!

and highly amusing...

insane indeed.... just because i have had a conversation with some one in duck sounds...

Edit: oh and i also keep roling die when no die rolling is needed till i get a string of high rolls, allowing me to pass all the insanity tests im required to make, but not cast spells or do any damage!

Morph
09-11-2005, 13:56
Always go left. That's the code our adventuring party live by.

Barbarossa
09-11-2005, 14:58
Several in fact.
In Deadlands our motto was "If it flies, shoot it." We got in a lot of trouble when we extended that motto to other RPGs. Hiding from a Dragon isn't easy when the group's elf pesters it with arrows. :-/
And we have the bad-pun-jar, filled with 1 €uro coins. One day we'll buy Games Workshop, thanks to all these abysmal puns. :D

Tanith Ghost
10-11-2005, 22:22
So I'm not alone in the looney bin. :p My D&D group does this all the time.
Sayings like 'He failed the spot check when he hit the glass door'
'I'm the drunken master, Hal's a drunken student'
'somebody just failed a ballance check on the steps'

Tyra_Nid
15-11-2005, 11:11
Dont have it with roleplaying, but do have it with online Gaming.

Its quite depressing, but incredibly humerous :D

nikolai7
17-11-2005, 11:02
the only thing i do in real life is occasionally use the dice of destiny.. 2d6 roll.. odds we do one thing evens another.. one time we took 3 hours to make a 20 minute walk by asking the dice which way to go next.. memories..

Tom - Heretic
17-11-2005, 12:51
Whenplaying warmachine, I always think in my head "come on, denny, gimme some lovin' girl" when I roll dice for her spells or attacks.

Just too weird to say aloud.

Hate Train
19-11-2005, 07:38
Yes, we repeatedly joke with my friend who won a Fantasy game purely because when it came down to a duel between his Blood Dragon Lord and my Strigoi Lord, he rolled 6 to wound on three attacks which as we all know makes: 666. His killing blow didn't help any either.

I still say Satan was with him that game.

Heph
19-11-2005, 13:41
My groups thing is whenever we go into a tavern or something and we try to haggle prices down to buy a room the bar keep makes a story about having to raise the prices cause their daughter (Always named Brandeen, and always red necks) is possessed by a bloodthirster and her head is doin 360 turns like in the exorcist and we need to exorcise her and that there costs money. It is always the same.