PDA

View Full Version : Heresy novels info...

reds8n
22-08-2008, 23:19
There's times I love posting this "rumour" stuff.From Mr. Abnett's blog ;

Postcards from apology city for the delay in bloggage. Busy type business has been taking up my time of late, though I am now much, much better, thanks for asking. Writing my Primeval novel at the mo, and just girding my loins to get into Blood Pact, the next Gaunt. Also, had fun and games up at Black Library HQ yesterday with the BL crowd, and Graham and Jim, as we plotted and brain-stormed what the next serving of Horus would be about. Looks like Graham and I will be dividing one of the big events up between us... and there was a blinding idea too about what Jim might do next.

Gosh, it’s going to be exciting. My next Horus, due after Blood Pact, looks like it’s going to be my biggest Horus yet, in terms of shooty-death-kill per square inch... and I can’t believe I’ve volunteered to write about Space W-

Opps! Did I say too much?

Battle for Prospero a go go then baby

and from Graham McNeill's blog

News from the Dark Tower
Afternoon folks, it’s not been that long since the last blog entry, but after yesterday’s visit to BL towers, I just had to write something. I ventured into the dark towers of BL with Dan Abnett and Jim Swallow to talk with Lindsey, Nick and Alan Merrett about what was next for the Horus Heresy. As always, it was a great fun natter, with us veering wildly along the road marked ‘Topic’ with several detours to ‘Tangent Village' and ‘Aside Town’. All of which was mighty fine fun and meant we came up with loads of very cool ideas for stories and mashed out the specifics and themes of what Dan and I plan to do next…which looks like one of the big, big events.
Much coolness was thrown back and forth, with ideas and new thoughts jostling together in new, exciting ways that got me straining at the bit to get busy on it…even though I’ve a bunch of novels to get written beforehand. Damn you, Schedule and your evil demands on my time! Suffice to say, the next project Dan and I are planning is gonna be big and if I were to mention someone with more than a superficial resemblance to Polyphemus, then I’d be saying too much…

All sorts of cool things came out of the meeting; not least of which was an idea that Jim might take on, which will be exciting if he does. Hell, I already promised him that if he didn’t do something with it, I’d fight Dan for it! It’s always fun having these brainstorming sessions, as there’s a lot of creative energy zinging about and when they collide the result’s normally something you’d never have expected or come to on your own. One of the many reasons I love coming into BL to chat to the guys there is that everyone has their own perception of an idea, and mine is always going to be different to theirs – often in very unexpected ways. When I gave BL the synopsis for Killing Ground, I went in and chatted with Nick and Lindsey about the story and in the course of the chat we came up with loads of cool ideas that weren’t in the original pitch or were new ways of looking at the story that I hadn’t considered. So whenever I’ve a book to do, I always like to go in and chat with them and see how they’ve interpreted the story and how we can work to make it even better.

So with ideas zipping about my head for my next Heresy project, even though the last one’s not yet out, I find myself sat in my usual teashop with a pot of English Breakfast and a white chocolate cookie (hey, I just gave blood, so I reckon I deserve one for being so brave!) working out the nuts and bolts for the next Uriel Ventris adventure. After the last two books of strangeness, this is going to be a balls-to-the-wall, all out action adventure story of Space Marines doing what Space Marines do better then anyone else. It’s been interesting going back to the Space Marine archetype and saying, ‘What is it about Space Marines that makes them so cool?’ I reckon it’s going to be a lot of fun to write, with lots of crowd-pleasing scenes and will, I hope, be a lot of fun to read. A return to family values if you like…so long as the family are seven-foot tall, gene-bulked super warriors…

And stay tuned for news of Games Day. After talking to Caroline at BL, it sounds like this is going to be a fantastic event, so I look forward to seeing you all there. And keep an eye out for the Mechanicum extract in the BL sampler, it’ll give you a taster of what’s to come when the book itself comes out. Oh, and we’re trying to get a signing sorted in London for the book’s release. No firm plans or dates yet, but we’re trying. I’ll let you know as soon as I know something.

Polyphemus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphemus)

Nazguire
23-08-2008, 04:37
Excellent. Though I would have preferred Dan Abnett write about the Thousand Sons, as they have so much that we haven't been shown, such as their organisation, their leaders, relics, etc. I believe Abnett would be better at it then Graham honestly.

Luckywallace
23-08-2008, 07:58
Oh yes! I have not been that impressed by any of the books in the HH since Fulgrim (the first 5 were awesome however). This is heavily implying the Battle for Prospero which would be just what the series needs to get back on track (and stop wondering off into tangents).

I wonder what Johnathan Swallow's idea was... I liked Flight of the Eisenstein so hopefully he can turn in another good book as long as it is not some irrelivant side-story like Battle for the Abyss was.

Nazguire
23-08-2008, 08:05
The Thousands Sons novel should read like every page is part of an occult ritual. Even loading up teh boys in the Stormbirds should be something mystical. That's the reason that the Thousand Sons got in so much trouble to begin with. I don't believe McNeill is capable of pulling that off, whilst Abnett is.

rickie8437
23-08-2008, 10:32
its about time that this was done, and i just cant wait forthem 2 books

The Anarchist
23-08-2008, 17:24
I'm jsut hoping we get to see the Emperor at last, maybe we can see Russ getting his orders to deal with the Thousand sons. see what the orders were; destroy or chastise the sorcers (and everythign in between). so far i ahve found all the black library authors have gone well beyond their normal levels of skill with the HH series. however getting back to the main thrust of the Heresy might be better than the storys. as a sde note whilst all the Authors have been brilliant, well beyond what i expected of some, thats no reason why Gotto should ever get one of the HH books.

anyways, jsut my two cents.

SockMonkey
23-08-2008, 21:15
Good lord!! Save us all from another Goto book!

Lastie
23-08-2008, 21:34
Good lord!! Save us all from another Goto book!

Where did anyone mention another Goto book?

Fire Harte
23-08-2008, 22:34
Well, I have to agree, the last two were a disapoinment, especially descent of angels. Is the Battle for the Abyss worth a read, because if not I shall pass.

But yeah, it seems that it will pick up a bit, and hopefully no background of the whole founding of the legion rubbish.

abasio
24-08-2008, 12:57
I've found all the HH series worth reading. Some are directly related to the Primarches' battles but there is more to the Heresy than that. Half of everyone & everything rebelled. The primarches were 20 (18). I enjoyed Battle for the Abyss as it didn't focus on the big names, but in the long run was damned important to the future history of the imperium.

azhagmorglum
24-08-2008, 20:18
Imo, the HH series is good because it tells of battles we heard about before only in a few sentences in background fluff etc...And I personally like to have them depicted from the point of view of characters that were involved in them. The story of Istvaan III and V were great.
After that some of the books were about side events like Legion or Battle for the Abyss, some barely related to the Heresy itself like Descent of Angels, and some as linking events or further tales of what happened like Fulgrim or flight of the Eiseinstein. They were interesting also, except maybe for DoA or BftA which are the less interesting imo.
Legion was great because of what it deals about (no spoilers here :-).

Anyway, if what this thread is about (battle of prospero) makes it to publication, I think it will be great because it will be the tale of an event everybody knows about and of a great moment in the HH. "Great" like in tragic.

Otherwise, I hope BL will continue to delve into the HH without wandering too far from it, until the last battle (horus against the emperor). The thing is, even if I'd like to read about the emperor etc..., I'm afraid that if they eventually put him as a character in a novel he would turn out to be disappointing. But I'd really love to read about the siege of terra. For the moment, I'm more interested in reading about the primarchs, and a prospero novel should fulfill that requirement.