PDA

View Full Version : sensible unit choice restrictions for 2nd ed.40k?

sigur
06-11-2005, 14:10
Hi!

Yesterday I started getting back into the 2nd edition rules of 40k. Now I started thinking about writing army lists again, and stumbled across the problem I always encounter at this point: These precentage restrictions allow people (I'm talking about powergamers/munchkins/beardy guys/... in short: evil people ;) ) to write very cheesy lists. Has anyone of you thought of alternatives for that which actually work well?

Another little question I'm just asking to be sure about this: you're allowed to move and shoot with all weapons as long as it's not stated otherwise in the respective entry in the wargear book, right?

I'm hoping for contributions from you 2nd edition guys.;)

sigur
06-11-2005, 22:43
Interesting. I might consider that and look how it works with the different army lists.

A question concerning psykers: I heard some complains about not having the choice of psy powers but you have to draw them from the decks. Maybe we could find points cost for psyker powers so people can buy them like wargear?

And what about limiting psyker levels to "1 for each 500pts" or something like that? In a 1500pts game this would be 3 levels in total so people could get one lvl1 psyker and one with psyker lvl2?

Commissar von Toussaint
11-11-2005, 00:51
First off, welcome home. :D

You've made the right decision.

When my group first started getting back into 2nd edition, we had a similar thought: how to balance the armies.

At first we tried to use the new charts and keep everything balanced.

After playing for a while it became obvious that the reason 2nd ed. didn't use those charts was that it really didn't need them.

To put it another way, the battles are small enough that having a couple of squads of terminators face down an elite eldar force was pretty realistic and reasonably balanced.

The only problem we ran into were the mandatory character choices, which did tend to skew things a bit, particularly for the Eldar.

So we decided that the armies could use any character as a general. We also loosened the requirement that marines take a techmarine if they have any vehicles (it's still a good idea, though).

Once we did that, things worked out a lot better.

The thing of it is, 2nd ed. wasn't as beardy as people say it was. We've been playing for about a year and our games have been a blast. Now we're not exactly cut-throat players, but I've always had a problem with people like that and army list restrictions isn't going to fix it. WAAC gamers are just a pain, no matter what the game.

My advice is play a few games and see where you are. I think you'll find the game is a lot better than you remember. :)

p.s. There are some annoying bits that need to be fixed. We had a thread up here a few months ago with them listed on it. Basically we ruled that templates weren't persistent (no setting on fire, etc.) jump packs didn't scatter (but ork ones still had to roll for malfunction in a 1) and we don't use virus grenades.

Right there you solve most of the problems with the system.

Found the thread:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4296&page=2

sigur
12-11-2005, 13:20
Thanks for your contribution, CvT. Actually I was hoping for you to turn up in here to add some advice.;)

Trunks
13-11-2005, 04:19
We always used the psychic powers in one of the 2nd edition basic books (I can't remember, they may be in the basic rulebook, there are six, one of which is orks only). It made psykers not much more powerful than any other character and the psychic phase wasn't any longer than other phases. A little duller on flavor, but they work fairly well.

Griefbringer
14-11-2005, 11:55
Well, if you are playing in your own little group, I would recommend trying to settle it out with a gentlemen's agreement to avoid all the worst min-maxing.