PDA

View Full Version : New 2K dwarf army i'm working on

cheesydude03
23-08-2008, 18:18
Hello everyone and welcome to my thread. Anyways i've been working on a new dwarf army list built for 2000 points and i'd like some comments on what i've done so far and help filling it out. The orginization isn't that pretty becaues it's kinda a rough draft and i've only stated any additions to the units and not there basic equipment. So without further adue the list! Hope you enjoy!

Dwarf 2000 points list

Lords: Dwarf lord with Axe of adamant (runes of cleaving, fury and Alaric the mad) Holy armor (runes of gromil and fortitude) and ring of the ancients (rune of spite and warding) (375 points)

Heroes: Runesmith with shield, hammer of death (runes of speed, fire and flight) armor with rune of stone and staff of the spellbreaking (rune of spellbreaking) (152 points)

Core units:
20 dwarf warriors with great weapons and full command. (225 points)

16 Thunderers with shields and full command (265 points)

15 Longbeards with shields and full command (205 points)

Special units:

14 Hammerers with full command (198 points)

Grudge thrower (80 points)
Engineer (attached to grudge thrower) with brace of pistols (20 points)

10 troll slayers with full command (143 points)

Rare units:
Flame cannon (140 points)

Total: 1660

There it is i'd appreciate any comments on what i did well or could improve on and help filling out the last 440 points. Oh I do intend to name the characters and units as well as add background to the army a bit later.

Stinkfoot
23-08-2008, 18:29
Well it's kind of hard to comment since you are still missing 340 points, but there are a couple of things. Mainly, why do the thunderers and slayers have full commands? Their banners are just going to be easy VP for the enemy. The thunderers are too large to expect to all shoot as well, so you're likely wasting fours on the last 6.

Longbeards aren't such a powerful unit that you can get away with 15 men. They need to be bumped to 20, and dropping thunderers would make points for it.

I think you really need another full combat unit. Ironbreakers are a good choice, as would be more warriors.

Your Runesmith would be better off with a great weapon than his current kit.

Where is your Battle Standard Bearer? I'm sure I'm just overlooking him, because EVERY Dwarf army ought to have one.

cheesydude03
23-08-2008, 18:40
Okay a rundown of your response firstly the full command for the thunderers was mainly just because the plastic kit comes with it as for the slayers i actually questioned myself on the full command there. Thus i will probaly change it to simply 2 or 3 giant slayers for a stronger unit. The thunderers though decent it combat are meant to be in rows of 8 sounds slightly crazy i know but on a hill that's 16 shots per turn the command is debatable as to removing.

The longbeards numbers for filling out the last points i will probaly bump them up to 20 like you suggested. (BTW i am using the classic metal longbeards not the plastic ones in the warrior kit.)

Runesmith weapon change once you suggested it sounds nice and i will definetly consider as looking back his rune weapon isn't even that great in terms of boosts.

Finally the 3 things that popped into my mind for finishing the list were ironbreakers, warriors and a BSB so 1 or 2 of those will most likely get added. I'll work on a revised and completed list and post it in a bit.

Stinkfoot
23-08-2008, 18:48
Thunderers are decent in combat, but giving them a standard makes them easy targets. A unit of cavalry will still roll them over, since you only have 2 static combat res. I think the unit would be better if you took out the standard bearer and replaced it with nothing - just fought the battle 24 points short. Standards are a big liability on anything but main-line units.

cheesydude03
23-08-2008, 18:56
Well i decided to take a good deal of your advise here is the revised list with a good deal of changes.

Dwarf 2000 points list

Lords: Dwarf lord with Axe of adamant (runes of cleaving, fury and Alaric the mad) Holy armor (runes of gromil and fortitude) and ring of the ancients (rune of spite and warding) (375 points)

Heroes: Runesmith with shield, great weapon hammer, armor with rune of stone and staff of the spellbreaking (rune of spellbreaking) (106 points)

Thane BSB carrying a standard with rune of courage or rune of guarding (undecided at the moment) (150 points)

Core units:

10 Thunderers with shields, musician and veteran (165 points)

20 Longbeards with shields and full command (265 points)

Special units:

15 ironbreakers with full command (212 points)

10 troll slayers with 2 giant slayers (140 points)

Rare units:

Total: 1999

bork da basher
23-08-2008, 19:02
Hello everyone and welcome to my thread. Anyways i've been working on a new dwarf army list built for 2000 points and i'd like some comments on what i've done so far and help filling it out. The orginization isn't that pretty becaues it's kinda a rough draft and i've only stated any additions to the units and not there basic equipment. So without further adue the list! Hope you enjoy!

Dwarf 2000 points list

Heroes: Runesmith with shield, hammer of death (runes of speed, fire and flight) armor with rune of stone and staff of the spellbreaking (rune of spellbreaking) (152 points)

Core units:

16 Thunderers with shields and full command (265 points)

15 Longbeards with shields and full command (205 points)

Special units:

10 troll slayers with full command (143 points)

Rare units:

Total: 1660

There it is i'd appreciate any comments on what i did well or could improve on and help filling out the last 440 points. Oh I do intend to name the characters and units as well as add background to the army a bit later.

first of all lets start with your charecters, you have gone nuts with runic items which you will not need nor will you ever be able to get your points back on. a dwarf lord IMO doesnt need anything other than a rune of stone, shield bearers and a great weapon. he's hard as nails as it is and will have a 1+save, T5, 3W, 4XS6 A, 2XS4 A and will be immune to killing blow. run him cheap and spend your points on units, its them that will win your battles.
your runesmith doesnt need to have runic weapons, you dont want him fighting you want him surviving, a shield and a rune of stone with give him a nice 1+ save, spend his points on anti magic, as this is really the only thing you need to take one for.

units. make them bigger, 20 is the minimum i use. warriors generally can go to 25 but 20 is fine. longbeards and hammerers will take casualties and need to be bigger IMO. they win combat by static CR and taking hits on the chin not so much dishing out the hurt, max the ranks out. think about ditching the great weapons on the warriors they work better with handweapon and shields for a 3+ save in combat. wound denial is better for warriors, let hammerers do the killing.

i advise 4 more thunderers and splitting the unit into two units of 10 with no command group and armed with shields. 16 isnt very efficiant and it will be very hard to deploy them on most battle fields. 10 strong with shields they can take charges more often than not and with two units you have two options of what to target.

grudge thrower and flame cannon is fine, look at some runes for your thrower though. a rune of accuracy is a must for 25pts.

trollslayers. i use a unit of this size too more out of desire to use the ace miniatures than anything else. if there is any kind of shooting in the enemy force these guys normally get shot down because they're an easy target and quick VP. if you can keep them alive they make a good blocker unit and can put the hurt on too. consider adding a rank.

you have some points left and my main suggestion is to bulk out your army and trim off the fat. in 2k points my force outnumbers you almost two to one, has more charecters and twice as many warmachines.

buy yourself a BSB, they are worth there weight in gold and make a high LD army next to unbreakable. give him something so he can survive, he will be a big target. master rune of gromril is nice or go with a runic banner. rune of courage of stoicism is a good choice without it getting expensive. if not on the BSB then on your warriors or longbeards maybe.

once you have sorted out your units look into some more artillery if you want to go down that road, a cannon is very useful but organ guns is where its at. i love them. id also strongly recomend a gyrocopter aswell but you have 1 rare slot left so this is down to taste normally. gyros are great at march blocking (gives you more turns to shoot stuff) and can really mess up low armour shooty units with its steam gun, they give your force a bit of speed too. however you cant easily pass up the potential destruction an organ gun can cause.

always remember that although its easy to go nuts with the runes its best to keep them minimal. they help but they dont win battles. as it stands your army is pretty tiny with next to no manouvrability, overexpensive charecters in undersized units and relatively short ranged and minimal firepower. dont get me wrong all my first army lists looked like this and it wasnt until i got shown the hard way that i realised the error of my ways.

the best thing to do is plan your army lists with charecters the very last thing you think about. kit out your units properly and once all is in order see what you have left over and use it for runes. at the moment your dwarf lord and hammerer unit is almost 600pts and it doesnt even have full rank bonus. if i saw this unit on the table id concentrate on it and have it destroyed or running before it got half way accross the table. its worth a 1/4 of your VP and one turn of concentrated fire would massacre the unit. after this you'd be very hard pressed to manage a draw let alone a win.

hope ive been of some help. if i seem harsh its meant in the best possible way. good luck to you.

cheesydude03
23-08-2008, 19:06
Hate to break it to you dude but all your comments apply to the old list which i updated not to long ago

bork da basher
23-08-2008, 21:27
thats really weird when i looked at the post and replied there wasnt any replies at all i would have been the first. strangeness.

still suggest you seriously drop the rune items on the lord and fill out your hammerer and ironbreaker units.

Stinkfoot
24-08-2008, 05:47
Your new list is an improvement, but far from perfect. The main thing that I don't like is a unit of 15 Ironbreakers. That completely defeats the purpose of the unit - Ironbreakers exist to win combat through a good CR score and excellent defense. If you can't take a fully ranked unit then you're better off taking something like hammerers that aren't as good at winning combats but don't care if they lose. If you haven't already assembled them I'd drop the GWs on the warriors for the points, as well as the command on the hammerers (they don't really need it, save perhaps the champion). If you're STILL short on points start dropping champions on units that you don't intend to put characters in.

The BSB should have the MR of Gromil and the Rune of Resistance. The Lord doesn't really need the MRoGromil since he can take a shield and shieldbearers.

Like I said though, it an improvement.

Alehkine
25-08-2008, 05:54
How can the lord take so much runic stuff? I thought they were limited to 125 point of stuff. You have more than 150.