PDA

View Full Version : Tactically Sound Themed lists

Kaine
24-08-2008, 12:24
I'm looking for a new army to do, and am considering the following themed options, would like some opinions please, peoples prefered option, issues with any of the options etc.

1. Pure TZ demon army (alot of magical power)
2. Pure Nurgle demon army (all 3 heralds mounted insider PB units)
3. High Elf Tir Chariot army (very mobile shooty army)
4. Vampire counts ghoul army
5. Wood Elf army (not sure on theme yet)

Doesnt have to be ultra competitive but should be able to stand up to Vampire Counts at min (since the store has lots of VC players)

Makaber
24-08-2008, 13:44
I think it's perfectly possible to make very good themed armies, and I've done so myself in the past with great success. The basic approach I'd recommend is to look at the defining elements of the theme, and build the rest of your army to act as support to that core. For instance, if you made a Khanite Dark Elf army, you'd want a lot of Witch Elves and Executioners as the theme defining units, but you'd also want something fast and hard hitting to put the pressure on your opponent and act as support to the infantry, so you'd want some chariots or knights in there as well. Don't go overboard with the theme; if you make a ghoul army for instance, you can't have nothing but ghouls if you want an entertaining game out of it. You have to mix it up a little.

Pure Daemon armies are a bit dull, truth be told. Tzeench can probably work to a certain degree, but on a very "gunline" basis, and you'll have very little flexibility. Nurgle will similarly be extremely limited, with a lot of hard-to-kill troops that aren't really that good at winning combats, because the overall army with lack punch. Also, you'll end up with very few units to chose from, which is boring in itself.

A chariot army I guess could work fairly well, but don't limit yourself to only chariots. Make a normal High Elf list with a lot of chariots in it, and it should probably do fine, although you're not getting the most out of the Speed of Asyrian.

Personally I have a weakness for the ghoul horde concept. Ghouls are very good troops and I don't think the lack of full command is that harsh, since (if played offensivly) their superior stats (to skeletons) should ensure that they kill a bit more troops to make up for it. My personal favorite of the ones you've mentioned, and the ghouls aren't too expensive either so you get plenty of points for some non-ghoul units to add diversity.

And wood elves are boring.

Kroxigore
24-08-2008, 13:57
I'm looking for a new army to do, and am considering the following themed options, would like some opinions please, peoples prefered option, issues with any of the options etc.

1. Pure TZ demon army (alot of magical power)
2. Pure Nurgle demon army (all 3 heralds mounted insider PB units)
3. High Elf Tir Chariot army (very mobile shooty army)
4. Vampire counts ghoul army
5. Wood Elf army (not sure on theme yet)

Doesnt have to be ultra competitive but should be able to stand up to Vampire Counts at min (since the store has lots of VC players)

1. If you don't want to play an army, that everyone complains about, I wouldn't play such a list. I think it is not much fun to play against.

2. Could be fun to play, but I'm not sure, as I don't know, whether it would be too slow to not get outmaneuvered. I guess, you would have to try and go magic heavy with 2-3 wands of nurgle (or whatever they are called). Also the planquin of Nurgle should be an option to consider for such an army.

3. A Chariot army could be frowned upon by some players, but it generally depends on the exact built (wether it is built around some core of a few chariots or wether it actually consists of chariots). I would consider the latter option a one trick pony, a quite effective one I guess, but not much fun to play against.

4. I don't know enough about VC to really comment on that, but to me it does sound like the best option of the ones, that you have mentioned. I guess ghouls aren't too powerfull, but good enough to make a core for an effective army. They of course need some support by other units and some magic, but I like the idea of such an army. Reminds me of the old horror films.

5. I like woodelfs a lot and I guess, you could build some themed armies around them. For instance an army of forest spirits would be quite fun, but it would really suffer from the new daemon lists, as all wardsaves are negated. You could also build a 'wild hunt' themed list, which has loads of these cav. units. Also a wardancer themed list could work well, but I have not much experience with wardancers.

Hope that helps

Stinkfoot
24-08-2008, 20:12
5. I like woodelfs a lot and I guess, you could build some themed armies around them. For instance an army of forest spirits would be quite fun, but it would really suffer from the new daemon lists, as all wardsaves are negated. You could also build a 'wild hunt' themed list, which has loads of these cav. units. Also a wardancer themed list could work well, but I have not much experience with wardancers.

Wouldn't the daemons also lose their saves? Add to that the fact that dryads are better in combat than most daemons with their t4 and 2 attacks, plus skirmish, and I think daemons wouldn't be too tough.

JRGumby
25-08-2008, 03:27
Wood Elves boring! Pft!

I think you can do a themed army in Wood Elves and be rather competative, but what I've heard from other WE players is that they are generally hard-pressed to beat VC in the 2k+ range.

Themes (besides seasons) are Wild Hunt, which is interesting (basically a lot of Wild Riders), and "Sethayla" which is a nearly all-cavalry army based around 1-2 units of warhawks and great eagles (sethayla being the kin bands in the pine crags where the hawks live).

As for Forest spirit-only armies, the problems are that they basically can never negate ranks, so they start the fight losing by 3-5 CR. You lose all of your shooting capabilities, your speed (no cavalry), and warmachine/mage hunting. It's also much harder to control your fights because you cannot redirect charges as well with most troops being skirmish, and you cannot flee from charges.

El Haroldo
25-08-2008, 04:14
Wouldn't the daemons also lose their saves? Add to that the fact that dryads are better in combat than most daemons with their t4 and 2 attacks, plus skirmish, and I think daemons wouldn't be too tough.

Quite the opposite. Demons attacks count as magical, and thus can strip forest spirits of their forest spirit save, whereas daemon saves are now upgraded to full ward saves, meaning they will always get their +5 regardless of what they're hit with.

Same point cost, yet daemons are unsurprisingly better in every regard.

Stinkfoot
25-08-2008, 04:52
Hmm, I didn't realize that daemons lost their "ward saves versus mundane only" rule. Still... Dryads skirmish and have 2 str4 attacks. It would be tougher than I thought, but still very doable.

El Haroldo
25-08-2008, 05:39
Oh they can hurt demonettes or bloodletters if they get the charge. But the demons have ward saves, and ranks/standards. It's not going to be a winner unless you combi-charge.

Krusty
25-08-2008, 07:20
well of what you chose, i would go with the vc ghouls, and for WAAC, the tzeentch list...

also, there is always the black hooded horde of smelly night goblins...
if assembled and played correctly, ng hordes can be amazing...