PDA

View Full Version : How many do HE players defeat VC?

40kdhs
24-08-2008, 17:48
According to VC forum, they currently own HE and I'm curious to know how many HE players manage to defeat VC. What kind of tactics do you use to accomplish it?

thank you

LKHERO
24-08-2008, 18:23
I'm currently fairing pretty well vs. them.

I haven't played for a month or so, but last time I did I was running a magic/shooty army with Teclis and RBTs ^_^

Show no mercy!

zak
24-08-2008, 18:33
High Elves have access to great anti-magic magic if that makes sense. With drain magic you can even make fairly simple spells such as IoN diificult. I would also advocate picking on one unit and trying to obliterate it as you can't raise something once it's gone! I use this to reduce units to below 5 RnF models and then use a single bolt from the Bolt thrower or my lord with the crazy bow on the Vampire!!! Add to this arrow attraction and you can make a dent fairly quickly. It then forces your opponent to use larger blocks to begin with, which means less units to face.

wamphyri101
24-08-2008, 18:43
Recently Played a sort of torniment/campaign using high elves.
Daemons won, VC second and me third

I played 2 different VC armys and managed to beat them both. I found the Vangulf pretty hard to deal with (went toe to toe with my lion chariot and i didnt even managed to wound it for 3 turns due to damn regeneration)

My white lions with the lion standard basically owend vc both games as they hack through pretty much anything.

Anti magic seemed to be the key most the time. I made good use of Drain magic which really puts a spin on there cheap spells

Way to beat them is just take out the characters. VC really cannot do much as soon as you kill the vampires and they are no where near as hard as they used to be

On a fun note, last 2000pt game i played my Boltthrowers took out his unit of 6 bloodknights on turn 1.

theunwantedbeing
24-08-2008, 19:07
HE's seem to do very well vs vampires around here.
High speed and ASF allow them to cut out the heart of the vampire army quickly and then they spend the rest of the game mopping up the remaining troops.

Great eagles will easily put blood knights out of the game as well as march block everything so regaardless of whether there is a vampire near them or not they wont be moving overly swiftly.

Really depends on the sorts of lists your used to using though.
VC players round here tend to take a minimum of 1k of characters at 2k.
The HE players tend to take a minimum of 4 character choices as well of course.

Mireadur
24-08-2008, 20:10
Only time ive played agaisnt them (hes a quite decent player) i got totally owned. Given i had the worst luck with dice ever seen in a game i still felt very inferior right since deployment.

The key, as some have very well pointed, seems to be able to cast drain magic (2 times if possible eventhough 2nd cast would be at 10+). Something really strange about the HE magic, given that is supposedly a defensive magic, is that they can get a big amount of energy dice but have trouble when gathering dispell dice. This will allow for sure to get off some drain magic if you try it. If VC magic bugs you too much you can always use the hateable vortex shard...

After some though i believe most VC units are quite underpriced (except skeletons) giving him the chance to rally for battle a true fearsome horde.

I cant wait to give the match some more tries, the 1st time i had no experience with the elves and have played a lot since then, but unfortunately this wont happen until mid-september.

40kdhs
25-08-2008, 04:32
Way to beat them is just take out the characters. VC really cannot do much as soon as you kill the vampires and they are no where near as hard as they used to be

How did you manage to kill VC characters if they join a unit?

What are some good HE anti-magic items?

thank you.

WLBjork
25-08-2008, 08:07
How did you manage to kill VC characters if they join a unit?

Big block of Swordmasters. No champion/characters, keep allocating attacks on the VC character.

You'll get a minimum of 4 attacks that hit on 4+ and wound on 4+.

The_Warsmith
25-08-2008, 08:39
i have beat the VC but to be fair my opponent was using his army for the first time, however i only started playing HE recently so im no veteran with them yet either.

my tactics where to play refuesed flank so his large blocks of skellies bottle necked and i concentrated fire on his small support units such as ghouls, dire wolves and the like destroying them before they could be raised and then taking on the core of his army piecemeal

EvC
25-08-2008, 21:12
With my VC I've probably played High Elves 15 times and won a dozen of those games. With my High Elves I've played VCs twice and won once, drew the second time (Possibly would have won as the Vamp Lord was stuck fighting two units on his own when my opponent left). Last game I had was my VCs vs High Elves and I was 200 points ahead... very interesting game, my opponent only had a lucky level 3 Archmage for characters (Still managed to cast Flames of the Phoenix twice and a huge Vaul's Unmaking in the game against my 6-7 dispel dice).

Peril
25-08-2008, 22:30
HE are very well equipped to handle VC if you wish.

1 - You have the perfect way to kill the dreaded IoN spam - Drain Magic!!!
2 - You have cheap units to divert uber units of Blood Knights - Eagles
3 - You have plenty of ways to blast ethereal units - umm most lores will do
4 - You can get around that pesky regeneration - Flames of the Phoenix or Lore of Fire

Jerrus
26-08-2008, 09:41
Lore of Light is pretty handy when dealing with VC :)

UltimateNagash
26-08-2008, 10:39
My mate plays HE, and I play VC. At the moment, it's a 50/50 split really. Sometimes I get lucky and my Wolves butcher his Mages and my Vargulf goes and takes down a RBT crew or something, but then is removed from the battle for a turn or two (worth it in my opinion. Those RBT are evil).

We play 1000-1500 point games for the record, and one time he took a Dragon Mage and just kept on killing the same Ghouls I could raise, me never getting enough CR to cause a Leadership test. Twas annoying, until my Vamp came along and slapped his Mage silly.

Killing my characters is quite easy actually, just charge in with someone and allocate all your attacks against him. Especially with a Noble or something, they can be very nasty.

Another thing, HE should make use of ASF. I should mention though that me and my friend play if both units have ASF, they negate and go to normal rules (GW, charging etc). So, my main unit for damage dealing (Grave Guard), need Vanhels or a Corpse Cart used on them, and because I have 2, I can mostly negate ASF and charge and strike stuff down. But then he gets the charge against them with a second unit in the flank, as his guys are great for killing stuff back. Which leads to very even combat results, or a loss. I'm always taking damage from CR because he can just kill more. Until the really nasty things like the Varghulf move in.

It's all a matter of isolating the nastiest bits in the VC army, separating them out and RBT anything that can boost VC combat (like Corpse Carts and characters)...

Geordie Vampire
26-08-2008, 10:44
im a VC player and normally i fair pretty well against HE i think ive only lost twice where as ive won the other 5 or 6. in my last game Konrad butchered nearly everything it was so fun.

EvC
26-08-2008, 13:22
Yeah Konrad's fun against High Elves, but not so nasty as to ruin the game- a few Spear attacks can be enough to kill him.

Fletch
26-08-2008, 13:41
According to VC forum

Do you have the link to this forum or the address?

Thanks

Geordie Vampire
27-08-2008, 11:04
Yeah Konrad's fun against High Elves, but not so nasty as to ruin the game- a few Spear attacks can be enough to kill him.

a few spear attacks lol if you are really looky for me konrad killed the HE Noble (general), a silver helm, about 7 spearman and a few archers. now i know that doesnt sound like a lot but it was only a 1500pt game and he did chase those units down once the ran away :D

aenarion67
27-08-2008, 11:13
hmm. i only had trouble against VC the very first time i versed them. now a days i usually win most of my games against them.
heres my list i use.
noble white sword,talismin of loec,dragon armour
mage lvl 2
mage lvl 2 amulet of light
20 spears
6 swordmasters
7 swordmasters
5 swordmasters.
5 swordmasters
bolthrower
and i think an eagle of boltthrower. ussually i win with this list. maybe an archer regiment. but drain magic and shooting is death.

EvC
27-08-2008, 12:00
a few spear attacks lol if you are really looky for me konrad killed the HE Noble (general), a silver helm, about 7 spearman and a few archers. now i know that doesnt sound like a lot but it was only a 1500pt game and he did chase those units down once the ran away :D

You do know that High Elves have this rule about them always striking first, right? On average it takes 9 Spear attacks to do one wound to Konrad, so perfectly possible for Spearmen to take him down. The HE Noble should also have had a good chance at dealing some damage before being splattered. Of course, it's not guaranteed, as long as you're not throwing him at walls of Swordmasters he usually pulls though :D