PDA

View Full Version : GW price rise

Fay_Redd
24-08-2008, 19:57
Today i was in my local GW, and there was a notice on the front desk.

"price increase"

yep GW are boosting prices again, metal minis and other various items throughout stores, plastic kits are not seeing an increase thank god, but watch your wallets cos metal minis are now gonna set you back a fair amount, 25% increase as it happens.

so abbadon the despoiler is set to hit a wopping 15 quid. sorry black legion players, but obviously its not just baddy, its all metals and metals boxes.

Captin Korea!
24-08-2008, 19:59
SOB/ Nurgle/Tz armies are going to be a pain to play now with a 25% increase.

Spell_of_Destruction
24-08-2008, 20:39
It's a double edged sword for GW. On one hand their costs will likely have gone up quite a bit due to the ludicrously high oil prices.

With economists predicting a recession in the UK though the price increase does not fall against a background of strong consumer confidence. I'll still pay the prices because I earn decent money and have no one other than myself to support but are parents really going to carry on buying their kids miniatures at a significantly higher price? They already seem expensive.

SPYDER68
24-08-2008, 20:46
People will complain say they refuse, then walk out to their local store and buy it all the same.

Overt_Spy
24-08-2008, 20:53
Aye, I noticed the upcoming Space Marine codex is $25 online. Still, It won't stop me from buying what stuff I need for my Tau and HE. Though it may stop my impulse purchases..

Question: Are all codex's and army books going to be $25, or is SM special because it's 144 pages?

Slaaneshi Slave
24-08-2008, 21:35
My main armies are Sisters of Battle and Vostroyans. I have about 150 Sisters of Battle at the moment, and planned on increasing it to 250 as an entire Priory. That aint going to be happening anymore. It's not that I couldn't afford it, but it is just rediculous. year after year they increases prices by way above inflation. It wasn't too long ago you could buy 2 Rhinos for a tenner! Now they are 18 quid each!

Templar Ben
24-08-2008, 21:38
There is a thread on this in Other GW as we speak.

I am sad because I prefer metal but such is life.

Senbei
24-08-2008, 21:45
People will complain say they refuse, then walk out to their local store and buy it all the same.

You say that, but in the last year I have only bought two items from GW. I used to buy things every week. Nowadays I just tend to buy second-hand metals and models from other companies.

starlight
24-08-2008, 22:04

Not so...I've spent under $100CA in the last four years at GW and that was a single purchase for a project about a year ago. I *used* to spend over $1000 a year over 2-3 purchases, but eventually they priced themselves out of my acceptable range. Given that I drop $1000-2500 at will when I see the value, it took a fair bit for them to do that...:(

Askari
24-08-2008, 22:09

You think so?

Because I, as a student, cannot afford 15 for Abaddon the Despoiler.

If plastics stay the same price, then it isn't too bad, as they are nearly all I buy anyway.

But I can't see this one not biting GW in the backside. 25% is ridiculous.

Templar Ben
24-08-2008, 22:21
Here is the discussion.

http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158577

Cergorach
24-08-2008, 22:55
It wasn't too long ago you could buy 2 Rhinos for a tenner! Now they are 18 quid each!
Time flies when your getting old ;-)
The three Rhinos for 9.99 quid is from 1988, that's 20 years ago. Two Rhinos' for 10 quid is from 1993 or something (they stopped selling them in boxes of three after a while), that's 15 years ago.

A lot of stuff is getting more expensive because less resources need to be split among more people (third world countries are starting to industrilize).

But a 25% price increase for metal minis is excessive, if they don't want to loose customers they need to ramp up production of plastic units to phase out the metals. I already intended to stay 99% with plastics and only buy those metal models I think are cool to paint, with a 25% price increase that's going to happen less often. Ebay, here I come ;-)

Bloodknight
25-08-2008, 00:02
According to the inflation calculator of the Bank of England, a Rhino bought in 1993 at a price of 5GBP should now cost about 7.50 GBP. The problem with that calculation is that inflation is not equal for all things.
Sure, the overall rate might be something between 2 and 3 % p.a., but that includes stuff like computers which are in comparison filthy cheap today (not only for what you get, but their price in general. Example: the first IBM PC cost about 15000 Euro in Germany in 1980, and a PC today costs maybe 1000. That's a negative inflation rate of almost 10% p.a. on that product, and it got infinitely better, too), or TV sets (look at the price for a standard, non-flat TV in 93 and today and laugh...), as well as other stuff that got a lot cheaper, while other products got exceedingly more expensive.

In the time from 1998 when I started driving a car to today, Diesel fuel went from 52 Euro cents per liter to about 1,42 Euro today. That's a rate of about 10% p.a.

Assuming transportation cost, oil as a raw material, cost of work etc. that Rhino going from 5 to 18 in 15 years is not too far off at 8.9% p.a.

When I started collecting IG in 97, 10 Mordians with a sergeant, a lascannon and a special weapon cost about 40€ (assuming two DM for one Euro, which is close by 2.5 cents to the official exchange rate), today the same figures cost 41.50€. That is a rate of 0.37% p.a.

Sisters of Battle:
a blister of 3 Sisters went from 11.50 Euro in 1998 to 11.50 Euro today. Exactly the same. Inflation rate zero.

Sisters box: (6 models 25€, adjusted to 41.65 because the current box includes 10 models): 41.65 in 1998, 30€ today. -3.2%. p.a.
Even if they slap on 25%, that is still 4.15€ cheaper today than it was.
Seraphim box: cost 35€ in 1998. Costs 30 today, plus a single Seraphim for 9€ => 39€. (6 model vs 5 model box). 1% p.a.

Chaos Dreadnought (same model still), went from 44.50 to 40. -1% p.a

IG Ogryns: 15€ to 15€ => zero, and the new models are better, too.

Another example, plastic this time:
Space Marines, Tactical squad, plastic. 20€ in 1998, today 30€. 4.3% p.a.

Space Marine Battleforce: 1998 75€, today 80€: 0.65%. p.a.

Imperial Guard tanks:
Basilisk: 35€ to 35€ => 0%
Chimera: 30 to 30 => 0%
Leman Russ: 30 to 35: 1.5%
Leman Russ Demolisher: 45 to 40€: -1% p.a.
Hellhound: 40 to 40: 0%
Sentinel: 25€ to 20€ (bad comparison, the old one was metal)

I am actually astonished that GW's price rises over the last 10 years have been pretty much far from being excessive, but in line with the inflation rate, and often below, at least when it comes to Germany. Here, people's opinions are often skewed because GW lowered a lot of prices when we went from DM to €, and they are now catching up to the "real price".

I used a WD price list from 1998 and an inflation calculator for these numbers and will gladly look up other stuff if someone needs something specific :)

Templar Ben
25-08-2008, 00:02
Please feel free to comment in the other ongoing thread.

Bloodknight
25-08-2008, 00:44
Yeah, I actually wanted to post there and got confused...this one should be closed, IMHO.

Kissaholic
25-08-2008, 01:26
im quitting 40k.

Templar Ben
25-08-2008, 02:11
Okay but seriously there is another thread on this topic. Please post there instead.
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158577

Rioghan Murchadha
25-08-2008, 03:08
I am actually astonished that GW's price rises over the last 10 years have been pretty much far from being excessive, but in line with the inflation rate, and often below, at least when it comes to Germany. Here, people's opinions are often skewed because GW lowered a lot of prices when we went from DM to , and they are now catching up to the "real price".

I used a WD price list from 1998 and an inflation calculator for these numbers and will gladly look up other stuff if someone needs something specific :)

Try doing this using Canadian prices, and be prepared to cry.

Lancaster
25-08-2008, 06:38
PRICING UPDATE
As everyone knows costs are going up all over the world, and just like everyone else we are seeing increases in the price of oil, metal, printed materials and transport. Up until now we've absorbed these increases, but the recent and dramatic doubling in the price of tin is simply something we are unable to ignore and therefore some of our prices will be going up too.

As from 29th September 2008 we will therefore be increasing the price of all metal models as well as a selection of other items including most of our books and some accessories including paint.

The good news is that we do not intend to raise the price of our plastic kits at this time which means Games Workshop's plastic range remains excellent value for money for all hobbyists. This has also encouraged us to accelerate our plans for expanding our plastic kit range even more quickly so keep a look out for new projects in the future.

Recently sent to my inbox. I haven't bought new models in 3 years because I can't really afford to spend frivilously and pay tuiton. It doesn't look like I will be buying any more anytime soon either... too bad :'(

Brimstone
25-08-2008, 06:46
Move to the correct forum and closed because we already have a thread on this subject.

The Warseer Inquisition