PDA

View Full Version : I have a problem

onermedboxer
24-08-2008, 22:59
The shop nearest to me to play is over a half hour away, and i can't drive(haha pathetic I know). I have tried other possibilities such as trying to get my younger brother interested but his patience cannot wait for tabletop games. Anybody have any advice or similar situations?

Grimtuff
24-08-2008, 23:06
Erm, walk. I live about a 1/2 hour walk from my local store.

Jeez is the world really getting this lazy? :rolleyes:

Vorenus
24-08-2008, 23:06
Half an hour's not so bad. Why not just make the effort and go anyway a few times? maybe you might meet some people who you like, and they might come to you to play, or maybe give you a lift sometimes? If you don't go you'll never find out. :)

onermedboxer
24-08-2008, 23:09
dont get me wrong i make every effort to go there and i have quite alot. but not as much as i would like. its a 1/2 hour by drive, so im not really sure by walking

Grimtuff
24-08-2008, 23:10
dont get me wrong i make every effort to go there and i have quite alot. but not as much as i would like. its a 1/2 hour by drive, so im not really sure by walking

Heard of Buses?

Do we really have to think for everyone now?

pityedbythedicegods
24-08-2008, 23:11
What about the bus I know it won't get you beside the shop but you will be closer then a 30 min walk.

Askari
24-08-2008, 23:13
Exactly, there must be a bus somewhere nearby.

And before you say it costs money. So does the hobby, far far more money. :p

onermedboxer
24-08-2008, 23:15
Heard of Buses?

hahah to be honest i never actually thought of it. i was asking for help not insults but it appears you have supplied both :)

Brother Cambrius
25-08-2008, 00:25
Bus services are probably your best bet. How often do they come around? Mine are horuly jobs and I have to walk 15 mins to get to the actual bus stop. It sucks living in rural Wales sometimes...

Cambrius

Templar Ben
25-08-2008, 00:31
Public transportation in the US is nothing like public transportation elsewhere. I would ask your friends to play you.

HsojVvad
25-08-2008, 00:56
What buses are you talking about? $2 bucks for public transportion or Grey Hounds where it cost like $20 bucks or more?

Remeber that public transportation is not like major cities. Some places don't even have Public Transportation.

sigur
25-08-2008, 01:03
Public transportation in the US is nothing like public transportation elsewhere. I would ask your friends to play you.

I heard so but makes this the bus much less of an option? I'm just asking because I really never took the bus when I was in the U.S. in school.

onermedboxer: Good to see you not getting worked up about Grimtuff's remark. ;) It's just weird that you haven't thought of the bus to get to the gaming store. Is the public transportation system really that bad?

HsojVvad
25-08-2008, 01:08
I took puplic transportaion all the time in my younger days. That is bus and subways. I did walk once and it was a 3 hour walk, mind you I took public transportation home witch was about 45 minutes to an hour then lol.

Ambu
25-08-2008, 01:24
there is always vassel, it fun but doesn't replace the real thing though so hitch a ride from a friend, take a bus or taxi or walk.

Templar Ben
25-08-2008, 01:25
I heard so but makes this the bus much less of an option? I'm just asking because I really never took the bus when I was in the U.S. in school.

A bus stop could very well be over 15 miles from his home.

The_Patriot
25-08-2008, 01:41
A bus stop could very well be over 15 miles from his home.

Or further since Wisconsin is primarily a rural state with one major urban center of Milwaukee and the state is 65,498 square miles in size. Contrast the size of Wisconsin with the size of the United Kingdom since the UK is 94,526 square miles. In the states we don't put much stock into public anything much less transportation and being spread out like we are we prefer to use cars. In short, I agree with you and just wanted to explain to our friends from the other side of the ocean. :)

Ghilleman
25-08-2008, 01:42
Invest in a bike, I'd say.

onermedboxer
27-08-2008, 00:57
haha sorry my internet has been out for a while . And yes here in wisconsin everything is a bit spread out but im looking around and trying to find bus routes and meeting new people who also play. The midwest is a lonely place.

Maxis Lithium
27-08-2008, 01:13
Ouch! US Midwest. Yea, spaced out poulations are murder on niche gamers like use. If you're too young to drivre, then you're likely still in school. try talking to your buddies in school, and seeing if they'll have a go. If they don't drive, bring more models and try 2 small forces, to get them interested. I suspect we're talking high school here, so you might be able to set up a school club for such things as warhammer and role playing.

If what I have suggested is not applicable, then try organizing a car pool with someone at your FLGS. You can lilky find someone who comes from your general direction, and cold go 5 min out of his way to pick him up. Offer to split fuel costs, and that'll likely make them much more willing to go for it.

Good luck man.

Overt_Spy
27-08-2008, 01:22
I'm with Ghilleman, bike there! Be sure to wear a helmet and obey all the rules of the road and you'll have no problem. Plus biking is good for the environment and good for you! You'll be tackling several things at once on a bike. And since your in the midwest, I'd imagine it's not that hilly (not as hilly as Washington state at least, trust me, that was hell for biking), so it shouldn't be a hard ride at all.

AfroCelt
27-08-2008, 02:13
As a fellow resident of the Badger state I can tell you that the busing options are practically non-existent outside of Milwaukee, Madison and Green Bay. Also realize that there are parts of the state that have maybe 1 person a square mile. You can't even get a train from green bay down to Chicago...you have to rely on greyhound busroutes to get you to the train stations.

Anyways, biking is a good idea. If you're in the Green Bay area I'd recommend the buses though...Gnome Games has a bus stop not 75 feet from the front door. I'll see you there :) .

Edit: check this out to get a feel for what we're talking about, you funny urban Europeans :P
http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/landscapes/maps/state/population-2000.htm

Malevon
27-08-2008, 04:40
Don't lump all us Mid-Westerners in with you poor Wisconsinites; I can take the bus or light rail pretty much anywhere in the Twin Cities.

Really though, if you've exhausted all your other options, is a half hour drive really that bad? I know gas prices are high, but you could lump your other errands in with your trip to your FLGS.

Go bikes though!

Znail
27-08-2008, 05:46
He cant drive thou. I think he said the bus option might work thou. Else if you live in such an issolated place then aquiring some form of transport, even a bike, sounds like a high priority.

BrianC
27-08-2008, 05:55
Are taxis not an option? Or are they as rare as buses in the mid west?

Calibrate
27-08-2008, 07:03
Teleport. That's what I do. Duh.... So obvious... I can't believe no one though of that?!

Ambu
27-08-2008, 07:07
Teleport. That's what I do. Duh.... So obvious... I can't believe no one though of that?!

You must play Necrons huh......:eyebrows:

Burning Star IV
27-08-2008, 07:55
Heard of Buses?

You gonna be alright?

OP: I was in a similar situation (still kinda am) and I came up with a decent solution. I decided to direct the focus onto a different aspect of the hobby, that being painting/ modeling. I basically just painted and on the rare occasion that there was a game available, I played. I don't know if this is an option for you or something in which you'd be interested, but I thought you may want to consider it.

Marshal Argos
27-08-2008, 08:28
Are taxis not an option? Or are they as rare as buses in the mid west?

Taxies are only in the larger cities... Depending on where you live it could cost $50 just to get the taxi to come to your town. Honestly I don't ever recall seeing one outside of the city. As others have said, buses are pretty much none existent. I lived there for well over 18 years, and the only buses I saw regularly were the school buses. Of course if you drive an hour or two to one of the cities you'll find one.

@OP: I feel your pain, growing up there it was quite hard to play or even find like minded individuals. My village was about 1000 people and the next town where I could play was a 30 minute drive. I either waited till the weekends and got the 'rents to drive me, or I would ride the bike and get the 'rents to pick me up at night.

shabbadoo
27-08-2008, 08:38
Biking 30 miles to your LGS is a slight problem. Fortunately there is this thing called the "intarweb", which you seem to be connected to, and you can actually *buy stuff* from websites on it(or get info for calling people who will take your orders for stuff!). It's amazing I know, but there it is.

AfroCelt
27-08-2008, 13:06
Biking 30 miles to your LGS is a slight problem. Fortunately there is this thing called the "intarweb", which you seem to be connected to, and you can actually *buy stuff* from websites on it(or get info for calling people who will take your orders for stuff!). It's amazing I know, but there it is.

I think he'll be ok figuring out how to buy product. His problem is getting to the shop to use it.

Askari
27-08-2008, 17:49
Indeed, sometimes us Brits forget how massive the US really is. Still, he the OP has it better than I do, I live in North Wales, and my University in Mid Wales... the nearest GW is an hour and a half to two hours drive away. Luckily, there's trains :)

So, forgive my, and my fellows, our lack of courtesy [to say the least].

shabbadoo: He wants to play... not buy...

Lord Solar Plexus
27-08-2008, 19:03
The OP has my heartfelt sympathy. I know how difficult it was to get from Groton, SD, to Aberdeen, SD, without a car...

Don't lump all us Mid-Westerners in with you poor Wisconsinites; I can take the bus or light rail pretty much anywhere in the Twin Cities.

Aren't they called Wisconwegians, Mr. Johnson? :)

winkypinky
27-08-2008, 19:26
Well if cant ride a bike, cant get a bus, walking is not an option and neither is driving in a car.
Then that would leave the moped (scooter or whatever its called) as the only remaining transport option perhaps?

kilokalex
27-08-2008, 20:02
i dont know about his state but there are few buses at all even in urban centers there might not be a bus till the population hits 500,000 or so in texas. he is to young to drive maybe because he said he cant. So I think your best bet is to get a ride there for one day by who ever will take you then sit around social and get someone there to drive you if they live near you and pay a little for gas. dont berrate him he needs some suggestions.

Marshal Argos
27-08-2008, 20:04
Aren't they called Wisconwegians, Mr. Johnson? :)

I prefer Cheesehead. I still wear mine every year, but only now I wear it for Fasching, along with my cheese bear mugs.

Znail
28-08-2008, 00:04
Well if cant ride a bike, cant get a bus, walking is not an option and neither is driving in a car.
Then that would leave the moped (scooter or whatever its called) as the only remaining transport option perhaps?

I wouldnt suggest using a moped/scooter if you cant ride a bike :eyebrows:

onermedboxer
30-08-2008, 22:51
biking long distances with 100+ models doesnt seem too logical