PDA

View Full Version : How to transport the monolith?

Warheart
25-08-2008, 08:38
I just brought and completed my monolith but am now faced with the dilemma how to get this behemoth from place to place??? GW doesnt seem to have a suitable carry case for me, what should i do, and what do you guys do?

The_Warsmith
25-08-2008, 08:41
the very reason i never bought one :p

i guess you'll just have to find a box big enough to carry it and line it with bubble wrap

Warheart
25-08-2008, 09:08
Thats whats put me off buying a soul grinder or defilers for my chaos armies, they're rediculiously modelled from a practicality point of view. Look cool tho.

the-skylord
25-08-2008, 09:14
Well, if your not traveling far then you could just stick it in a plastic carrier bag. Thats what i do with my tanks that don't fit my case, they get put in bag so i can take with me to games!

AmKhaibitu
25-08-2008, 09:29
I used to use a rigid frame cool bag. Was the perfect dimensions for it.
Now I just need to contact the person who borrowed it so I can get it back.

stainawarjar
25-08-2008, 09:31
Couldn't you just magnetize it and transport it in pieces? Same with Defilers.

Ambu
25-08-2008, 09:58
Thats whats put me off buying a soul grinder or defilers for my chaos armies, they're rediculiously modelled from a practicality point of view. Look cool tho.

Couldn't you just magnetize it and transport it in pieces? Same with Defilers.

Thats what I was gonna say about the defilers and grinder, but a Monolith will be crazy hard to Magnetize effectively and keep it sturdy enough for play.
Personnally I suggest you either find an adequete equivelent or spend the dough and get an Motorpool Transport from Sabol:

Sidstyler
25-08-2008, 10:12
Yeah, the Sabol transports are probably your best option. It might even fit in a platoon case, which would be the cheapest way to go if that's the only model you need to worry about transporting.

byteboy
25-08-2008, 10:24
go to basspro.com & look up the XPS 370 case. It can hold 5k points plus worth of Necrons & 2 Monoliths in the top compartment all for a reasonable price. I prefer this over foam anyday.

Sholto
25-08-2008, 10:49
Take 2 90mm foam trays, the plucking kind, and turn one over and put it on top of the other. You can sandwich a Monolith in there quite snugly, although you will need a bag big enough to carry it (you wind up with a stack that is 6 ordinary trays high).

As for Defilers, mine has the upper body on a steel pin, so it can be removed for storage. Otherwise, magnets are the way to go.

Sholto

Morganstern
25-08-2008, 11:24
I transport my Monolith in a cardbord box wraped in bubble wrap. Cheap and easy.

ctsteel
25-08-2008, 11:50
some of the plastic tool boxes at the hardware store might be suitable for a monolith as well - find one of the right size that is just open space inside (ie no shelving or compartments), buy some egg-crate style foam to line it with, and pop it in.

Redrivertears
25-08-2008, 12:01
some of the plastic tool boxes at the hardware store might be suitable for a monolith as well - find one of the right size that is just open space inside (ie no shelving or compartments), buy some egg-crate style foam to line it with, and pop it in.

This is exactly what I use for my armies. I play Chaos with three defilers, Daemons with big monstrous creatures and two soulgrinders, or dark eldar with at least five or six skimmers.

Like the monolith, most of these are highly irregular in shape and hard to transport in conventional transport bags. But the toolbox with egg-crate style foam works wonders. I use multiple layers, with the heavier models at the bottom, then another layer of foam, and the lighter models on top of that. Stacking as many as four or five layers, I can transport up to 2500-3000 points armies in mine, including the awkwardly shaped models. And its a very cheap option to boot.

-Redrivertears-

solkan
25-08-2008, 12:45
I've been using my army and spearhead boxes to transport my tanks and defilers in. I tried using spare foam to make compartments but then found out through experimentation that a $10 8x4 sheet of 1" or 2" styrofoam insiluation was enough to section out all of the boxes I had. Then again, the consensus around here was to mount the defiler and it's demonic cousin's torso on a metal rod so that it would be removable for easier storage. It's a bit of extra work, but it's nice having a defiler which can turn its torso around on that nice swivel base.

I agree with Morganstern, for a monolith, just get a small cardboard box and a big roll of bubblewrap from OfficeMax or whatever. Maybe carve out some styrofoam bumpers if you get worried about the side guns getting busted up.

LordFulgrim
25-08-2008, 12:51
I have a Defiler that I transport in a cardboard box with bubblewrap plastic. I cut the box myself so it fits perfectly and reduces the danger of sliding/bumping. I find that even though you can use bubblewrap you still have to put it into place to prevent damage. Just cut out the box using very thick corrugated fiberboard and use duct tape to put it together. Doesn't look high-tech but it works and saves a lot of cash.

aberrant_unc
25-08-2008, 13:10
Mine teleports to the battlefield and brings loads of warriors with it. Maybe yours needs a tuneup?

Radium
25-08-2008, 14:05
I know someone who just throws the thing in the back of his car. Might not be the best mode of transportation though :P.

Ambu
25-08-2008, 15:00
Mine teleports to the battlefield and brings loads of warriors with it. Maybe yours needs a tuneup?

KK This wins the thread :chrome:

Honestly though, especially now that summer is ending, got to a wal-mart (or equivelent), sporting good store, whatever and buy you a soft sided cooler on clearance, go to the housewares dept, uy you some eggcrate foam (sold w/ bedding) and I guarantee it'll be every bit as good as the sabol (minus the front pockets) at a fraction of the cost. :eek:

Lancaster
26-08-2008, 04:33
I just put it in a open topped cardboard box, then try to balance it on the car's seat.

It's worked so far

olmsted
26-08-2008, 06:16
shoe boxes and news paper with good news on it for luck!

Maine
26-08-2008, 06:21
I use an Army Transport, and my assembled Necron army only takes up 2/3s of it. The monolith lies on its side on the top. Its not padded on the sides, but I transport it fairly safely.

This is going to get trickier, as I picked up the Warrior Phalanx, so my Necron army is about to get much bigger, including a second monolith, and I bought the Monolith Phalanx for half price at Games Day LA, so Im about to add 2 more monoliths, for Apoc games. And then there's the pylon on order....

StarshipBOb
26-08-2008, 07:54
I usually cram mine into a set of rolling luggage.

Bar that, I've used styrofoam coolers with EXCELLENT results. Their dirt cheap, last a long time and are both thick and pliable enough to protect a model in the event of a short drop.