PDA

View Full Version : 54mm Harlequin Solitaire - WIP

precinctomega
25-08-2008, 18:44
Well, I've got a new commission. This time for a Harlequin solitaire.

I was actually contacted about this model months ago but, after agreeing to the quote, the client kind of went quiet for a bit. But now he's talking to me again, so I'm getting some movement.

This was the initial sketch I did just to get myself used to Harlequin imagery and flesh out some vague ideas.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/Harlequin%20Solitaire/harlequin001.jpg

The plan was that the Solitaire was a lonely traveller, making his (or her) way through the Webway and from craftworld to maiden world and even occasionally other worlds. Hence the travelling coat, the backpack and the various pieces of kit and equipment about his person.

Once I came back to the idea after a break, however, I decided that this just didn't possess the "harlequin" qualities that the client was looking for. The Solitaire should live by his (or her) wits. I also did a lot of sketches of masks before I settled (at last) on one that I thought worked:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/Harlequin%20Solitaire/harlequin002.jpg

This time around my plan was for a character who was colourful and harlequin-y to the extreme. I was sort of thinking that she (I settled on a female) could be so OTT that no one would guess she was an alien behind the mask and beneath the cowl. It's not like Imperial citizens don't appear masked and cowled all over the place, eh?

The mask is a combination of daemonette eyes, geisha lips and a sort of kabuki theatre overall effect. The hood conceals the details of her person (and her pointy ears), whilst the half-cloak doesn't interfere with acrobatic leaping about sort of stuff.

But I had a couple of problems I wanted to sort out. The first was the Harlequin's Kiss. The client had specifically said that he wanted her to have one, but the extant design seemed too bulky and unwieldy to really communicate the elegance of harlequins at 54mm. So I went right back to basics:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/Harlequin%20Solitaire/harlequin003.jpg

As you can see, the ammunition container is concealed beneath her half-cape on her shoulder, with the weapon itself being digitally mounted (digital Harlequin's Kiss? Ouch!) - this also fitted with the idea of a character who should be able to move with relative freedom within the frontier worlds of the galaxy.

My next problem was the shuriken pistol. I've never understood how these things could be comfortably holstered. So, again, I went back to basics:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Tim%20Vorne%20Art/Commissions/Harlequin%20Solitaire/harlequin004.jpg

In this sketch, I turned the barrel through 90degrees so that the body of the weapon could lie flush against a leg or (as in this case) beneath the half-cape.

I also did some pose sketches. Not sure how she's going to be posed in the end. Up to the client, really.

That's it for now. I'll post more when there's more to show.

R.

hereticdave
25-08-2008, 20:09
the ammunition container is concealed beneath her half-cape on her shoulder

Well i like the look of the other things concealed under the cape so my interested is already piqued :)

As for the 90 degree shift in the Shuriken Pistol i think this defies the function of the weapon though? The 'wheel' magazine in the older designs was the solid ammunition i always thought, the pistol itself would shear off a monomoleculer slice and catapult it magnetically or whatever at your target. Even if it were a container for smaller shurikens picked up by some sort of internal mechanism then the lateral circular feed would be a mechanical nightmare.

Actually at second glance it looks more like a wheel-lock design that something advanced. A more imperial blend of high-tech and low style.

As you've gone the single hand route with the 'kiss [which i very much like] how about the same for the pistol? Some form of more elegant vambrace similar to Asurmans? This would have the added benefit for freeing up the hands for all those acrobatic wonders and dances the Solitaire would perform both in rite and on battlefield?

Anyways my 2/c :)

....though as i look at your sketch again i see you've moved the whole mechanism on it's side, invalidating my incorrect point above. That said i think and integrated design similar to the 'kiss would add a very neat facet to the model. Particularly if combined with the sword(s) you've pictured in the brown sketch.

swifty2
25-08-2008, 20:31
The concept looks really cool mate, I can't wait to see the actual model.

Azriel45
25-08-2008, 20:34
this looks very very interesting. Your sketch work looks wonderful and i'm really hoping the model comes out just as nice

malika
25-08-2008, 23:47
You're going to sculpt the figure from scratch? :eek: This is so going to rule!!!

Leonathion
26-08-2008, 01:08
Id go either for a sprinting pose or a fight stance, a blank face (or perhaps a deamon, slanesh-face), lots of dathedi, try to replicate the current harlequins but hot it up a bit. Good luck, Im looking forward to seeing this through :)

precinctomega
26-08-2008, 07:23
Actually, I'm probably going to use Severina/Sevora as an armature. But otherwise, yes, I'll be sculpting the lot. It's not as hard as it looks. Should be a fairly straightforward job to sculpt: it's the painting that'll take the time.

@Hereticdave - that's a good idea with the vambrace-mounted shuriken pistol, but the character's raison d'etre, as it were, is to be a character that can move relatively unhindered through the galaxy - she's not supposed to be a straight replication of a battle-ready Harlequin.

For a previous example of my work, search for "54mm Dark Angel" in this forum.

[Whoever gave me the 5* rating, BTW, thanks.]

R.

Ganymene
26-08-2008, 07:57
The sketches look very promising.

I took a look at the Dark Angel and your skills are impressive.

One thing though, will she look like a regular harlequin, or more Slaaneshi as per the fluff?

I'll be watching this one. :)

precinctomega
26-08-2008, 09:42
The Solitaire plays the role of Slaanesh in the Great Masque and the model should reflect that aspect in a number of ways, including the choice of colour scheme. But she should still be identifiable as a Harlequin.

Let's just say that a blend of classic Harlequin, CWE, DE and Slaaneshi elements should hopefully produce a whole that is greater than the sum of its parts rather than swamped by them...

R.

Monsterzonk
26-08-2008, 10:24
Those sketches are really impressive. I'm exited how this will turn out...

precinctomega
26-08-2008, 16:41
You're not the only one.

R.

Mer
27-08-2008, 03:35
fantastic sketchs. im really looking foward to seeing this.

you have her with a katana like sword in your sketchs. will the model feature one? if so, id say mount it in a back sheath. adds to the traveler look i think. what will you be doing in the way of a backpack/pack?

precinctomega
27-08-2008, 07:24
Not sure about the katana. Whether or not it stays depends on the client. But you're right that a back-mounted sheathe would make sense in the context. As for the pack, I'm exploring a number of options.

One thing I really liked in my original sketch was the presence of spare masks. But my background studies suggest perhaps that Harlequins never remove their masks. And even if they do, the hallucinogenic nature of the masks would mean that they would only need one anyway...

I'm just trying to decide whether or not to let the story get in the way of a good idea.

R.

Ganymene
27-08-2008, 08:05
I'm just trying to decide whether or not to let the story get in the way of a good idea.

R.

As important as the story is, I would say: cool > fluff

Plus, stories can be modified and altered to suit different tastes.

I guess the client has the final say though.

precinctomega
07-09-2008, 06:46
New sketch:

http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs37/f/2008/250/d/d/Harlequin_Solitaire_Concept_5_by_precinctomega.jpg

The client wanted a backpack.

I also did another pose sketch for the client to have a selection to choose from so I can get started on planning.

R.

thegrin
07-09-2008, 08:24
Wow really fancy sketches u are one great artist! Love to see that model!

precinctomega
07-09-2008, 09:14
I'll be ordering the final parts I need on Monday.

R.

[Glory] Wulf
07-09-2008, 11:47
The scetches look great.
But I have one question: The Harlequin has her Shuriken pistol in the right hand, but the holster is also on the right. Wouldn't it make more sense if one of the two were switched to the other side?

Good luck building her!

precinctomega
07-09-2008, 15:08
You're right, of course. But actually, I don't plan for her to have the pistol in either hand. These sketches are very much for the "feel" of the character. What I think I'd like to do is have the pistol in its holster (wherever), the Kiss on the left hand and then either a katana or a spear (see first picture) in the right hand. I favour the spear, but it's up to the client, of course.

R.

Hadriel Caine
07-09-2008, 15:32
Hmm just posted on the Clave version of this...

I very much like what u just put in the last post - reference to the first picture is pleasing!

Adam

Hideous Loon
07-09-2008, 16:52
I'd steer away from obviously Eldar symbolism regarding the model. Mask? Sure? Digital Kiss? Why not? Something resembling a Singing Spear with a great, sharp, big Eldar symbol on top? Maybe not. Now, a slender katana on the other hand, might work much better. Also, it can be concealed much more and better than a spear.

'Course, that's just what I think...

Leonathion
07-09-2008, 17:18
Why a solitaire? They are the rarest and most shunned of all eldar, not likely something you will encounter in Inq...

malika
07-09-2008, 17:56
How common are Space Marines in the 40k universe and how common is it for a single one to go on mighty adventures? ;)

But yeah, to get back on topic...can't wait to see the mini, love the concept art. So...she's going to wear a thong huh? And a tattoo on her butt? Sexy... :p

precinctomega
07-09-2008, 19:57
Why a solitaire? Because that's what the client asked for. I didn't second-guess the client who wanted a 54mm pre-Heresy Dark Angel, did I?

Something resembling a Singing Spear with a great, sharp, big Eldar symbol on top?

I don't see that as a big problem. This isn't a character who's ever going to "blend in", let's face it. But, that said, perhaps I could put a sort of shroud over the tip of it, so the Solitaire symbol's only just visible...?

Hm, yes, that could look cool.

R.

precinctomega
08-09-2008, 11:57
Should be the last concept sketch before moving to the colour concept:

http://fc03.deviantart.com/fs37/f/2008/252/7/7/Harlequin_Solitaire_Concept_6_by_precinctomega.jpg

R.

Serpent
10-09-2008, 05:13
Subscribed. This will look awesome...

Hideous Loon
14-09-2008, 21:55
Much better, precinctomega. Looks more subtle and, well, non-Eldar now. Imagine, that a shroud could do so much.

I hate to be the one who unprovoked rains on parades, but the whole outfit, body shape and staff could be perfectly complemented with a big neon sign saying: "I'm an unholy Xenos infiltrator. Please shoot/imprison/torture me."

No offense meant, seeing that she's an Eldar and such.

precinctomega
19-10-2008, 15:54
Update!

Well overdue, but I've had other projects occupying my time. I now have to get this one finished. Anyway, this is basically the last picture you'll see for the time being: the colour concept. This isn't completely finished, but I'll come back to it once the model itself is ready for painting. The client will be getting this piece of artwork to accompany his model (I like to offer good service!).

http://fc30.deviantart.com/fs37/f/2008/278/f/6/Harlequin_Colour_Concept_WIP_by_precinctomega.jpg

I've also made a start on the armature. This is nearly finished, with the wire armature built with parts from the Devout Sisters, plus joint-filling with Milliput. There are a few areas I'll need to file down again once the putty's dry, of course, but that's all part of the process. I prefer to over-putty and then file/carve to shape that to try to get it all right first time. I save that sort of concentration for the final stage, or my head hurts too much.

http://fc32.deviantart.com/fs35/f/2008/293/d/8/54mm_Harlequin_Solitaire_WIP_by_precinctomega.jpg

Sorry for the rubbish picture, but my digicam's a bit on the blink right now, so this was taken with my phone.

Next stage will be to add musculature to the arms and to bulk up the legs (with greenstuff) before moving on to do the same to the torso, neck and head. I'll then start to add skin and detail with ProCreate.

I want to try to get this mostly done before Half Term (in a fortnight) when I have full responsibility for the nurglings, so expect regular updates for the next couple of weeks!

R.

precinctomega
20-10-2008, 13:28
And again:

http://fc78.deviantart.com/fs33/f/2008/294/9/a/54mm_Harlequin_Solitaire_WIP_2_by_precinctomega.jp g

Sorry for the awful photos. I'll put my digicam to use for the next one.

R.

Mewy
20-10-2008, 14:37
Taking shape, very cool.

But fighting chaos I always pictured harlequins at least of all Eldar (specifically the Solitaire) to be in rich, yet dark colours.

precinctomega
20-10-2008, 18:31
Not this one!

R>

precinctomega
21-10-2008, 08:29
Here's the next stage.

http://fc51.deviantart.com/fs33/f/2008/295/2/8/54mm_Harlequin_Solitaire_WIP_3_by_precinctomega.jp g

R.

Ganymene
21-10-2008, 08:54
Starting to take shape nicely.

Looks sweet! Can't wait to see more.

precinctomega
21-10-2008, 11:27
Half-term lurks on the horizon, along with full-time childcare, so there may be a break in service from Friday. Otherwise, I intend to push this along as quickly as I can.

R.

Lord_Squinty
21-10-2008, 16:50
Watching this with interest - just checked out you're 54mm Preheresy DA - very Nice :)

I look forward to seeing how this turns out.

Gearux
22-10-2008, 02:43
Very nice. I think that while uncommon, a harlequin makes a lot more sense than some of the other characters that seem so common in INQ.

precinctomega
25-10-2008, 18:41
Page 6? I gotta work harder!

Update Time!

http://fc36.deviantart.com/fs35/f/2008/299/6/c/54mm_Harlequin_Solitaire_WIP_4_by_precinctomega.jp g

I can't pretend it's the world's best picture (taken at night, with flash), but her skin's all done. I've now sculpted the leotard (thong-back!) and boot-tops, along with the band around the top of her left thigh. I've made a start on her flip-belt and left hand and tomorrow I'll work out where I'm going to put that complicated shuriken pistol (as "on top of her right breast" just isn't goint to work any more!).

R.

Getifa Ubazza
25-10-2008, 21:02
This looks like its going to be really cool.

Looking forward to updates.

malika
26-10-2008, 14:41
Big silicone boobs? :eek:

precinctomega
26-10-2008, 15:11
You ever seen a naked Eldar?

The breasts are "hoist" by the leotard. And, yes, they are exaggerated in proportion, as shown in the illustration. This is partly to emphasize the sexuality of the character and partly because otherwise the breasts will be well-covered beneath the hood.

I do, however, have to find somewhere else to put the shuriken pistol, now...

R.

heinrichvoncarstein
26-10-2008, 15:28
nice, I'll be watching!

precinctomega
29-10-2008, 17:34
Page 6 again? I need to update more often. Anyway...

Ta-da!

http://fc85.deviantart.com/fs34/f/2008/303/0/8/54mm_Harlequin_Solitaire_WIP_5_by_precinctomega.jp g

I hope this demostrates that she's not at all "chunky", as some have suggested. Her build is muscular and acrobatic (and, yes, pneumatic in places - what can I say? I know my client).

R.

CMDante
29-10-2008, 17:52
She's a little big up front, I didn't know implants were popular with eldar?!; )

Looks great and I'm a big fan of your work in 54mm but I think she could do with coming down a cup size or two, also the way her breasts are sitting is very much like women with implants.

Otherwise, great stuff!

Cheers,

Dante

malika
29-10-2008, 18:32
You ever seen a naked Eldar?

The breasts are "hoist" by the leotard. And, yes, they are exaggerated in proportion, as shown in the illustration. This is partly to emphasize the sexuality of the character and partly because otherwise the breasts will be well-covered beneath the hood.

I do, however, have to find somewhere else to put the shuriken pistol, now...

R.

I know what effect you are trying to create, but they still look like large implants, I would definitely try to make them a bit smaller and pressed tighter against the leotard, not only will you then keep (or even improve) the sexiness of the figure, she will also look more natural (convincingly acrobatic) instead of somebody who just played in Baywatch. :P

Praexes
29-10-2008, 19:25
If you keep it that way you're going to have to add little post-surgery slit-scars on the bottom of her breasts. ;)

Morthai
29-10-2008, 21:38
Great project so far :) Looking forward to updates.

One thing though (I know it's a little to late to change anything). If I recall correctly anatomy lessons, her pose should be closer to what I sketched on your picture.

precinctomega
30-10-2008, 08:40
You're dead right, Morthai. If you compare that armature with the current state of the model, you'll see that the left hip has dropped about a millimetre and the left shoulder risen by about the same amount.

BOOBIES GOOD!!!

[Explanatory fluff: Eldar don't need implants - their bodies carry no fat, so their primary sexual organs are responsive to psychic impulses, much like their technology. Thus, the Solitaire can adjust her appearance to a degree in order to suit the desires/lusts/expectation of those for whom she "performs" (I mean killing them, rather than some other euphemism). So all of you who see her with boobies are simply seeing your own subconscious (or conscious) desires. You pervs. ;)]

R.

TheUsersAreReal
30-10-2008, 09:46
[Explanatory fluff: Eldar don't need implants - their bodies carry no fat, so their primary sexual organs are responsive to psychic impulses, much like their technology. Thus, the Solitaire can adjust her appearance to a degree in order to suit the desires/lusts/expectation of those for whom she "performs" (I mean killing them, rather than some other euphemism). So all of you who see her with boobies are simply seeing your own subconscious (or conscious) desires. You pervs. ;)]

R.

Brilliant!

Ganymene
30-10-2008, 10:49
So all of you who see her with boobies are simply seeing your own subconscious (or conscious) desires. You pervs. ;)

Well, we are watching a log about an Eldar dedicated to portraying Slaanesh. :angel:

I think she looks great so far. I really like the boots and the shape they take.

As far as the model as a whole, I think the overall shape accentuates the slender build of Eldar and their general elegance. Nice job.

Keep up the awesome work!

Sojourner
30-10-2008, 11:24
I can tell it's going to look amazing. My only major comment is that I'd traditionally thought of Eldar as somewhat androgynous, so looking like a burlesque actress spoils the mood somewhat - or at least it would if she were any other Eldar. We are talking about a Solitaire here, and as other posters have pointed out, her choosing to appear as a (to an Eldar mind) vulgar expression of primitive sexuality is entirely appropriate.

What would be really sophisticated as a modelling exercise would be to show obviously the same person but not projecting her performer's persona. A heavy contrast in her pose and the way she carries herself would bring her more down to earth as a 'real' Eldar.

Solun Decius
30-10-2008, 11:35
Wow, your sculpt suddenly took on actual human form. Very well done!
I'm excited to see the detail, especially the face.

Frgt/10
31-10-2008, 03:20
keeping an eye on this. If the finished model comes out like the artwork its gonna look seriously cool.

Azriel45
31-10-2008, 16:43
You're dead right, Morthai. If you compare that armature with the current state of the model, you'll see that the left hip has dropped about a millimetre and the left shoulder risen by about the same amount.

BOOBIES GOOD!!!

R.

That's the funniest thing i've read all day. Touche Salesman.

precinctomega
01-11-2008, 16:25
http://fc59.deviantart.com/fs34/f/2008/306/c/2/54mm_Harlequin_Solitaire_WIP_6_by_precinctomega.jp g

Much progress, if you look carefully. I've shortened that left arm and finished off the Harlequin's Kiss, adding the feeder tube and filing the finger into shape - I might still add a hole in the tip of the weapon, but the finger's rather delicate, so we'll see...

The holster's basic shape is finished although there's more detail still to add.

Her cowl's shape is done and I've added eyes to her mask (although they still need some shaping) - although I have to add a little more putty to the cowl to smooth it off and cover up the finger marks.

Not pictured, I've made a great start on her right hand and spear. I'll hopefully show how it looks in the next update.

R.

crandall87
02-11-2008, 00:07
This is coming along really nice. It will just look soo good when it's done.

precinctomega
03-11-2008, 10:33
http://fc77.deviantart.com/fs35/f/2008/308/a/a/54mm_Harlequin_Solitaire_WIP_7_by_precinctomega.jp g

A bit more of a "round trip" on the model so far.

You can see here that I've added the right hand and the shaft of the spear. I was going to carve the "solitaire" rune out of Milliput, but it proved to be far too fragile. Instead, I've got to get hold of some suitable plastic sheet, which may have to wait until later this week. The right hand is still removable, by the way.

I've also added the first of the additional masks. Whether these are symbolic masks or simply part of the Solitaire's cover as she moves from world to world is open to interpretation. This one, of course, is the "happy" mask. There'll also be a "sad" mask once this ones set.

Not also the added detail on the holster and the altered shape on the mask and eyes (this bit's finished now - the mouth will be painted on).

I had a "ZOMG!" moment this week. I was in the pharmacy, picking up my son's prescription and grabbed a pot of Vaseline on an impulse. I'd heard it made a great burnishing agent, but I was skeptical as to whether it would prevent the putty from bonding with adjacent putty or interfere with the painting process.

Well, I'm converted. It makes the sculpting process *so* much easier.

precinctomega
15-11-2008, 10:16
http://fc94.deviantart.com/fs38/f/2008/320/1/f/54mm_Harlequin_Solitaire_WIP_8_by_precinctomega.jp g

Pretty much finished, now. There's a little excess material to clear up around the base of the spear, and the model's base needs a touch of extra work to finish it off, but I'm not going to take any more pictures of it pre-painting unless the client wants changes.

R.

crandall87
15-11-2008, 10:56
That's looking great. Really looking forward to seeing her painted.

Deus Ruinus
15-11-2008, 20:33
wow thats impressive! way better than my sculpting skills! however you have just got me back into a sculpting mood again.

Ganymene
15-11-2008, 22:52
The final sculpt looks fantastic!

I am very eager to see her painted.

precinctomega
16-11-2008, 08:52
Me too! Client has to pay me for this stage first, though.

R.

Gniewko
16-11-2008, 15:45
The Harlequin is great! When I'm looking at it I'm so jealous of your skills - I will never be able to sculpt like this. I really can't wait to see her painted!

precinctomega
16-11-2008, 18:33
I would've said exactly the same thing a year ago. It's amazing how much a bit of time and practice can improve things.

R.

Mike KK
16-11-2008, 23:31
i really like this, would look gd in a game of inq. or just painted up on yor shelf. i agree though with the modelling i found that with a bit of imagination and patience your skills improve really quickly

precinctomega
01-12-2008, 16:58
http://fc64.deviantart.com/fs39/f/2008/336/5/3/54mm_Harlequin_Solitaire_WIP_9_by_precinctomega.jp g

This is the last picture before I start painting. She's finished on the sculpting side - barring a couple of minor touch-ups I noticed when the undercoat went on. She's been undercoated in black and then oversprayed with white to get nice, deep shadows and a good base to start applying the colour.

More updates once the client's paid me for work so far...

R.

precinctomega
02-12-2008, 14:43
No comments? How about if I paint her a little bit?

http://fc30.deviantart.com/fs38/f/2008/337/3/6/54mm_Harlequin_Solitaire_WIP10_by_precinctomega.jp g

Despite the fact that I haven't been paid by my client for the sculpting work yet, I couldn't resist getting on and painting her, once I'd got this far. Lots still to do, but you can see how it's coming along.

R.

BeatTheBeat
02-12-2008, 15:13
WIIIICKEEEEEED! :D That's pretty much all I can say. Space clowns FTW. ESPECIALLY in 54 mm. Any other 54 mm plans when this is done?

Azriel45
02-12-2008, 15:58
nice work there sir.

precinctomega
02-12-2008, 16:48
Any other 54 mm plans when this is done?

Ooh, yes. Lots. But they'll be for my own collection, which tends to mean not as good as my commission work. Money focusses my attention.

That said, I'm meeting Jervis Johnson and Gav Thorpe in December to run them through a demo of Inquisitor 2nd Edition, so I need to do some models that demonstrate how those rules work. So I'll probably finish my power armour inquisitor conversion and my Adeptus Mechanicus skitarius conversion. And I need a good psyker model, too, so there might be one more to make before the weekend of 13 Dec. Hm. Less than two weeks. I think I'd better get my skates on!

Beyond that, I have a couple of human mercenary conversions to finish, based on Army of Two. And I've still got that 54mm Wood Elf conversion (into a female Commissar) that's been sitting half-done on my desk for the last, ooh, two years or so...

Of course, if someone else gives me a commission, that gets top billing.

R.

precinctomega
05-12-2008, 11:41
Hooray! Me again!

http://fc07.deviantart.com/fs39/f/2008/340/e/8/54mm_Harlequin_Solitaire_WIP11_by_precinctomega.jp g

R.

Dio´Ra
05-12-2008, 12:08
the oevrall model looks great painted but somehow the eyes....they make me think of ye ole classic grey roosevelt alien :(

Mewy
05-12-2008, 12:41
the oevrall model looks great painted but somehow the eyes....they make me think of ye ole classic grey roosevelt alien :(

Well... she is an alien... ;)

And as for my c&c: sensational work. Can't think of anything that can improve the model. A+

precinctomega
05-12-2008, 12:52
The eyes are supposed to be reminiscent of daemonettes... :'(

R.

Cassarus
05-12-2008, 14:07
looks good, really makes me wanna play some inquisitor again! it is a great game!

precinctomega
05-12-2008, 14:21
...and getting better. I'm getting a chance to demonstrate my proposed "2nd Edition" rules to Jervis Johnson (with Gav Thorpe, too, although technically he has no say in the matter) on Saturday 13th Dec 2008 at Warhammer World, at the same time as the Inquisitor Grand Tournament (tickets still available - http://www.darkmagenta.co.uk/inqgt.html).

R.

Radium
05-12-2008, 14:24
Very nice! It certainly looks very harlequin.

The Wildchild
05-12-2008, 16:54
That is sweet as! Although maybe put a little detail on the red top...just a little something to break up all that red.

Praexes
05-12-2008, 18:39
I hate the phrase 'no offense', but...

No offense, but that looks like a themed Italian hooker from the 90's. I think it's the fishnets. :P

Amazing sculpt though. This has been a pleasure to watch as you built up from a wire frame with bits of GS to this. Well done, sir. :)

Dio´Ra
05-12-2008, 20:36
The eyes are supposed to be reminiscent of daemonettes... :'(

R.

I don't think the deamonettes eyes work well with that smile then :(

Titan Wolfe
05-12-2008, 23:29
Stunning work ,fantastic work.

Elizas Guardianangel
06-12-2008, 13:10
Could you please tell me your trick to get the checkered hood looking to neat?

precinctomega
06-12-2008, 14:03
Not much to it, really. I painted a diagonal chequerboard pattern in red over a yellow base coat. Then I filled in alternate diamonds in red. I'm still touching up the pattern, enlarging the yellow diamonds with small amounts of yellow/white and strengthening the red with a little orange. The main trick is getting the initial lines nice and parallel and as thin as you can.

R.

precinctomega
24-12-2008, 10:04
http://fc32.deviantart.com/fs39/f/2008/359/8/f/54mm_Harelquin_Solitaire_DONE_by_precinctomega.jpg

Finished!!

Vote! (http://www.coolminiornot.com/209001)

R.

coalescence
26-12-2008, 21:28
That's just too much. Great job!

SpinningC
27-12-2008, 01:39
Love the finished product really surreal and really captured the feel of the miniture. Two thumbs up from me!

Chris

precinctomega
27-12-2008, 07:15
I got some advice on my use of image-editing software and did a montage of my sketches as background for the illustration:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/pics/pics13/img4955349a0c716.jpg

R.

Ganymene
27-12-2008, 08:26
Wow! Looks great! I really like the design on her right arm.

Glad to see her finished. I am noticing more detail on the painted figure that I didn't see before.

Nice job.

static grass
27-12-2008, 14:05
congrats this looks great. Love the pose and the paint job.

...and the funny explanation for the love pillows.

nedsta
27-12-2008, 15:04
congrats on the harlie dude,looks amazing

SM_fanboy
29-01-2009, 09:36
Simply stunning mate!

Titan Wolfe
29-01-2009, 09:47
lookig fantastic .....be very proud !!

CMDante
29-01-2009, 19:50
Great job mate but whats up with her feet? They look a bit weird.

Cheers,

Dante

Oberst Viktor Morte
20-03-2009, 05:13
Excellent work! If I had to complain about anything (which I do) I'd say that the mask is a bit too simplistic. However, the sculpting and the paint job is spot on. Good job!

Cassarus
20-03-2009, 07:09
She really turned out great!

vargale eversis
28-03-2009, 21:00
looks amazing
quite jealous of whoever own's this now

28-03-2009, 22:00
awesome work man, inspirational

i know this is off topic but how did the propsed 2nd edition rules set go with JJ

Nath