PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Orcs and Goblins - VS Vampires

English 2000
26-08-2008, 02:28
Hi Everyone,
I have a friend who plays O&G and thinks that VC are unbeatable. As a VC player and ex-O&G player I disagree so we are switching armies and I'm going to crush my own shambling dead horde with his green tide of doom!

I used to play greenskins in 5th and 6th and did very very well with them.
I've never used them in 7th so I'm hoping you guys can critique my list. He has won several best general and overalls at HoH/Rogue Trader tourneys so he's no slouch - he just can't seem to beat my VC with his Orcs.

I've tried to make a list that will be useful against all comers and one I would be happy with in a tourney rather than making a list tailored to take on vampires. My hope is that it is a tidal wave of green skinned infantry doom.

Each of the characters will join orc units.
The Rock Lobba is there for the odd lucky hit
Shaman will try to get lucky with 'Eadbutt
Night Goblins will deploy on the flanks to slow down flankers with their fanatics
Savage Orcs and Squigs are there as cruise missiles/flankers. Their job is to get stuck in and whittle down units while the boyz provide static combat res. Being immune to psych/frenzied I know I can count on them getting there - as long as animosity doesn't strike at the wrong time :)
Wolf Riders will be used to redirect charges and grab table quarters if by some (unlikely) miracle they last until the end of the game.

CHARACTERS:
Black Orc Warboss
Martogs Best Basha
Spiteful Shield
Amulet of Protectyness
Heavy Armour
Boar

Black Orc Big Boss
Boar
Heavy Armour
Enchanted Shield
Ulag's Akrit Axe

Black Orc Big Boss
Battle Standard Bearer
Boar
Heavy Armour
Mork's Spirit Totem

Orc Shaman
Dispel Scroll
Dispel Scroll

CORE
25 Orcs
Shields
Boss
Standard Bearer
Musician

25 Orcs
Shields
Boss
Standard Bearer
Musician

25 Orcs
Shields
Boss
Standard Bearer
Musician

20 Night Goblins, shields
3 Fanatics

20 Night Goblins, shields
3 Fanatics

10 Savage Orcs
2 Choppas

10 Savage Orcs
2 Choppas

5 Wolf Riders

5 Wolf Riders

SPECIAL
2 Squig Herds

2 Squig Herds

Rock Lobba

Krusty
26-08-2008, 03:09
you have a very small army for a few reasons...
1 is having so many blorc bosses...
and your orc units are pretty big for this size game...
i would make them units of 20, with one of them being big unz carrying the spirit totem...
a unit of 20 or 25 would be either 280 or 330 pts
and drop the bsb all together...
or keep the bsb and drop the boss with the akkrit axe...
you can also save some points by making any units that will have a boss on boar only 23 or 18 strong, makes nice square units and saves points...
use your extra points for some chariots or spear chukkas,
or the ever-useful giant...

Magx
26-08-2008, 07:59
Personnally, I really like you army. If I had the money I would almost exactly the same thing as you probably.

I disagree with the guy who just commented you army. Well, kind of. It's maybe a small army in comparison of other O&G armies but I see why you put "so many" Black Orcs and so many Orcs : if you get a 1 one one of your unit, the black orc boss will smack them and you won't get animosity. And since it does kind of a lot of damage, you have to have a big unit. + If you play against someone who play s artillery, you'll still have plenty Orcs to whoop some behind.

The only change I would do personnally maybe (and I stress maybe), I would probably put all the Savage Orcs together. But at this point, I think it's more a matter of taste than strategy (not totally, but hey you know what I mean).

And if you would comment on my army plz since nobody did it... (title -> What do you think -> same armie as yours .... well, for the name ;)

woytek
26-08-2008, 08:00
I wouldn't go with units of 20, I would take 23 orcs. Oh yeah and leave the black orc bosses alone!!! They give nice quell animosity to your main units, it's naise!

I play O&G and I am having problems defeating my friend's VC, last game we switched sides and he massacred me with my own army list. But this is more to do with my deployment being lame and making some stupid movement decisions. Good luck!

Fredmans
26-08-2008, 14:11
Regarding fanatics, I would not field as many as you do. VC are ItP and the only thing you want to make sure to hit are blood knights/black knights and they will most likely only be in one place. You will outnumber your opponent, so you can set them up last, maximizing their effectivity.

I would also keep the units at 25 (possibly 23) but you cannot afford to be outnumbered.

I find the best number of fanatics to be 2 in a unit. Then it is less of a trouble if my opponent manages to draw them out, and the odds of rolling 8 are high enough to usually enable one hit and one charge block.

If you find some points, I would look into the possibility of...
single trolls (does NOT auto-break, flank protectors, added punch etc)
wolf riders (baiting and angling is all they can do against VC, but they are very good at it)
chariots (you want to hit hard on the charge, causing pressure by crumbling)

Oh, and it is useless purchasing both armour and the Amulet of Protecktyness, since you always use your enemy's armour and ward save. Either skip the armour or the amulet.

One of the problems I have encountered against VC is that my army has to spread out (if I take too many infantry blocks) whereas his army consists of fewer, but deadlier units. That is also an incentive for adding chariots or trolls, to add punch in a limited section of the battle field. Fielding 9 infantry units will only cause you grief, I am afraid. One-on-one your units does not stand a chance.

But, just to prove me wrong, beat your friend and tell us about it, OK ;)

/Fredmans

Malorian
26-08-2008, 15:03
I'd switch the magical items. WS 8 isn't that big of a deal on the BO warboss.

I also think the staff of sneaky stealing is better than two dispel scrolls. Basically you are adding 6DD to your self and taking away 6PD from your opponent, and in most cases this will stop more than two spells.

Other than that I don't know what to say as I'm pretty new to orcs.

Just remember to post the battle report : )