PDA

View Full Version : 2000pts Tomb King Tournament List. Help me build win the tournament!

3Xhume
26-08-2008, 12:10
Hello, Ill be attending a 2000pts tournament this sunday. I have been wondering what kind of list should i bring. This is what i've come up with. Rate it please and suggestions are always welcomed.

The King Marched to WAR!!!

Tomb King, GW, Brooch of the Great Desert (Dispell Scroll) ==> cheap king
Hierophant, Hieratic Jar, Cloak of Dunes ==> Flying wizard for magic support whereever i want it
Liche Priest, Skel steed, Dispell Scroll ==> Another mobile priest
Liche Priest ==> Plain priest for magic support

2 units @ 3 Skeleton Chariot ==> Cheap Flankers or sacrificial unit if needed
10 Skeleton Bowmen ==> small firepower and liche priest personal bodyguard
2 Tomb Swarm ==> Warmachine hunter

1 Tomb Scorpion ==> Warmachine/wizard hunter
19 Tomb Guard, Std, Champ, Icon of Rakaph ==> Main battle unit, king is here
3 Carrion ==> distractors, march blockers, running down fleeing unit
3 Ushabti ==> Second battle unit

1 Bone Giant ==> Added firepower
1 Screaming Skull Catapult ==> Im good with stone thrower so this is a must have

Thanx,
3Xhume

Makaber
26-08-2008, 12:21
Well it's not too bad. The main problem I can see is that you have a lot of supporting unit, but not very much for them to support. With a Scorpion and the Carrion, I don't think you need the Tomb Swarms, so maybe you can ditch those and get a fourth Ushabti. It should also be enough to get a Collar of Shapesh for the King, or something like that. It might also be worthwhile to get two more Carrions so they're US5 with regards to Enemy in the Way, but I'm not sure where you could free up the points.

3Xhume
26-08-2008, 12:55
Carrion's main mission is distraction. Im not sure that one scorpion will be sufficient against 2+ canon/boltthrowers... But it is a good suggestion, Makaber. Thanx. If i have to ditch a unit, it will be the a unit of chariots. With one less chariot unit, i can fit a fourth ushabti and 2 more carrion. Which one would be better?

aforce808
26-08-2008, 13:07
Hi, I would drop the Bone Giant if I were you. They are fun, but you will have mixed results with him most likely. I have found that a second catapult is useful, as it is less than half the points and two is better than one. Especially if one misfires. Ditch the swarms and Ushabti to free up some points. Put the King in a chariot with the Spear of Antarhak and Scorpion Armour, then add him to one of your chariot units. This will make for a very hard hitting, fast unit that is capable of rolling up flanks.

I would add another scorpion to your list as well. He is probably the best bargain unit in your army with his versatility. Of course these are just my suggestions. I have been playing TK for about 5 years now, and I can tell you with confidence that these changes will give you a better chance at winning the tournament. Anchor your center with the TG, Archers, and Catapults, take out warmachines and mages with your scorpions, march block with the Carrion, and then TK with Chariot units up the flank for the win. Good luck with your tournament!

Makaber
26-08-2008, 13:08
Well, I can't really make any judgement on it outside of guesstimating, but I'd put my money on the Ushabti then. 3 Ushabtis are good, but 4 is significantly better, and you need mainline units.

3Xhume
26-08-2008, 14:04
@aforce808: i dont have the second scorpion and the second catapult... How about Casket of Souls? Is it viable for tournament with the current environment?

3Xhume
26-08-2008, 14:09
BTW, the opponents are Ogres (2 players), Vampire Counts, Daemons, Dwarves, Dark Elves, Empire...

aforce808
26-08-2008, 18:52
I never used the casket until recently. With the emergence of VC, I have used it a few times and have been pleasantly surprised. First of all, it makes that invocation spamming harder for them. Secondly, they tend to save dispell dice for it because a lot of their troops are so low leadership. This allows you to get off the more important incantations more often. It's not so good against Dwarves or DE, but is decent against some of the other stuff you listed. I think I prefer the two catapult setup, but I really like the casket against a VC heavy field.

You should definately pick up that second scorpion once you get the chance. The last tournament I took them to, they killed several warmachine crews, a lone mage, a mage in a unit, and even killing blowed a 300 pt lizardman character. All that for 85 pts per makes them a very good deal.

I used to take Ushabti, but found that they got shot to pieces quite a bit since they have no armour and people like to shoot at the big pretty models so much. They are expensive pin cushions. They can be useful flanking units and some people like them, but I prefer chariots for their point value. Of course you are going to be the one playing, so use what you like. I'm just telling you things that I have found to be useful in tournament play. Our troops are expensive, so you really have to be wise with your selections and get the most bang for your buck. Be sure to let us know how your tournament goes.

Makarion
26-08-2008, 19:11
Hello, Ill be attending a 2000pts tournament this sunday. I have been wondering what kind of list should i bring. This is what i've come up with. Rate it please and suggestions are always welcomed.

The King Marched to WAR!!!

Tomb King, GW, Brooch of the Great Desert (Dispell Scroll) ==> cheap king
Hierophant, Hieratic Jar, Cloak of Dunes ==> Flying wizard for magic support whereever i want it
Liche Priest, Skel steed, Dispell Scroll ==> Another mobile priest
Liche Priest ==> Plain priest for magic support

I'm all in favour of cheap characters, but yours are sadly not survivable in a tournament environment. The King must have a wardsave, for one. You'll also need some bound spells, since people tend to pack a lot of magic defense in most tournements, and you stand close to no chance if you don't dominate the magic phase.

2 units @ 3 Skeleton Chariot ==> Cheap Flankers or sacrificial unit if needed
10 Skeleton Bowmen ==> small firepower and liche priest personal bodyguard
2 Tomb Swarm ==> Warmachine hunter

Is 2 tomb swarms really worth it? I've had ok success with larger units, but 2 seems to be a bit pointless. Cut them, you'll be much better off with either some light horsemen or a second scorpion.

1 Tomb Scorpion ==> Warmachine/wizard hunter
19 Tomb Guard, Std, Champ, Icon of Rakaph ==> Main battle unit, king is here
3 Carrion ==> distractors, march blockers, running down fleeing unit
3 Ushabti ==> Second battle unit

Not bad. I have had zero success with carrion myself, though, and given how crucial your special choices are, I'd cut them and replace them with light horsemen. Use the slot for another scorpion.

1 Bone Giant ==> Added firepower
1 Screaming Skull Catapult ==> Im good with stone thrower so this is a must have

The Bone Giant is a total waste of points I'm afraid. It's a great model, but WS 3 is just not sufficient without hatred. Drop it and replace it with a second catapult, a casket, or even a DOW giant.

Thanx,
3Xhume

I've added some suggestion in the body of the list.

3Xhume
27-08-2008, 12:53
I've been pondering for another list. How is this?

Tomb King, Collar of Shapesh, Destroyer of Eternities ==> Uber Character Killer except Ogres with Tenderiser
Hierophant, Hieratic Jar, Collar of Shapesh ==> see above
Liche Priest, skeleton steed, 2 X Dispell Scroll ==> see above
Liche Priest, Casket of Souls ==> Plain priest because most likely will be targeted by canons and flyers

3 Units of 3 Skeleton Chariots ==> Combat unit, flankers, and sacrificial unit if needed
10 Skeleton Bowmen ==> see above
2 Tomb Swarm ==> see above

1 Tomb Scorpion ==> see above
19 Tomb Guard, std, champ, Icon of Rakaph ==> see above
5 Carrions ==> distractors, march blockers, running down fleeing unit, AND EITW use

1 Screaming Skull Catapult ==> see above

I know i should have used the second scorpion, but unfortunately i dont have another one.

Another option is by swaping the king's Destroyer and shapesh for GW and Golden Ankhra + Staff of Ravening @ mobile priest. Which one is better?

Thanx,
3Xhume

gortexgunnerson
27-08-2008, 15:47
I think your army lacks focus, you have a little bit of everything:

Fast moving: chariot units, swarms, scorpion, carrion (and giant if included)

Combat: Tomb Guard (and Ushabti)

Shooting: Bowmen, SS capapults

This means that you control no phase or type of play, you do not have a strong enough element in the armies to force your oppenent to play to your strength. Therefore they will dictate the game play in a good tournment and therefore against a good player you are a long way behind from the start.

The army must have a method of winning the game, then everything in your army should be geared to either helping you to play that way or helping you to force your opponent to play that way. I got 4.5 out of 5 in my last tournment with TKs with this list;

Tomb king in Chariot (GW, magical chariot that doesnt die to Str7 and give D6+1 hits)
2 liches on foot (Hierophant Cloak of dunes, heiertic jar/Dispel)
1 liche on horse (Staff of ravenging)

5 chariots (Mus, Standard, banner casting raise spell)
3 chariots
12 bowmen
7 light horse
4 tomb swarm

4 ushabti
2 Tomb scorpions
4 Carrion

The bowmen and light horse were fillers to hide the preists in at the start, then turn one moved forward pooling spells to spam carrion charge of warmachines, turn 2 or 3 charge in with chariots tomb swarm/scoprions. The army is very fast and relied on using the extra speed of the spells to hit the whole army into points on the opponents line, picking each battle and overwelming units one by one.

I think your army will become too separated or will be too slow to force the battle choice with enough troops to win. Therefore I think to be a winning list you need to group your strength, so either a defensive line, Tomb guard Ushabti, double SSC plenty of troops and fight from a hill, or put more in making the army faster and more hard hitting on the offensive. IMO TKs must control the magic phase to win, as this allows you to control movement of your army and choose the fight.

Obviosuly if constricted by models etc I like the first list more, more attacking, thought think the tomb guard look out of place.

Good luck, and stay away from str7 vampires they make Tomb king players cry!