PDA

View Full Version : Are Strigoi a one trick pony?

devolutionary
07-11-2005, 03:02
Strigoi Flying Circus, as I've so amusingly heard it put, seems to be the only tactic I can think of for Strigoi. I'm looking at developing an army of them, but they are slow and lack the ability to be individual power houses on the same level as Carsteins or Blood Dragons, while also lacking the magical prowess of Necrachs. Felbats and winged Vamps seem to be the only option to get anywhere fast, but I'm worried about the cliche nature of it. I tend to prefer something solid yet uncommon in my tactics, something that Strigoi limitations seem to enforce.

Am I missing something about them? I like their style, I like their background, but I want to know that they are tactically viable as well on more levels than simply sending a tooled out Count with wings to beat down on units.

Frankly
07-11-2005, 04:43
No.

Bascially a Strigoi army can be played like any other Undead army, lots of troops choices with a lord choice and hero's in the rank and file units bashing things up, alot of people play strigoi this way as well.

devolutionary
07-11-2005, 04:51
Hrmm well as long as it works, I'm all for it. Zombie swarm it is!

Scythe
07-11-2005, 10:36
Strigoi are above Carsteins in individual power, and quite on par with blood dragons (yes I'd go that far). Remember you get stuff for free on them. A lord choice gets a 5+ ward (usually 30 pts), hatred (another 25 pts) and another attack (25 pts) for nothing, and can take 100 pts of other bloodlines on top of that! They might not have the character killing abilities of blood dragons, buth they are usually way more effective killing rank and file troops, and that's what you need to win combats (and autobreak the enemy with a large unit of skeletons/zombies).

devolutionary
07-11-2005, 10:41
Really? Their base abilities would cost that much? Interesting indeed. The list I've got so far is here http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15977 if you are interested.

I'm rather looking forward to making a house of horrors army *chuckles*

Scythe
07-11-2005, 10:46
Compare them to the usual cost of magical items, and you'll see what I mean. Sword of battle (+1A) costs 25 pts, for example. And on top of that, they are abilities instead of magic items, so can't be destroyed or negated...;)

Tormentor of Slaanesh
07-11-2005, 21:47
hello, what are you on about. you can have all your characters with the profile of lords, 3w and 4a or a better lord 4/5w and 5/6a and hatred.
in my opinion they are the best bloodline.
they are like undead plus.

devolutionary
07-11-2005, 22:03
My issues stem from their slow nature, lack of armour save, lack of extended magical abilities, lack of magic items, etc... in an unarmed arena fight they are terrifying, I conceeed that. However to keep in theme of the Strigoi, you'd be looking at swarms of infantry. Now there is only so much infantry you can fit within range of the General, making the army slow. I overlooked a few things, I will admit, and it was more of a general question to get my bearings on the Strigoi, since I haven't played Fantasy since 4th Ed, back when it was Wahammer Armies: Undead and every Vampire was Carstein ;)

Lady's Champion
07-11-2005, 22:21
I have to say, I don't like to be one of those people who say "army is crap" but i resist the urge with Strigoi.

They are silly and my opponent never fails that 5+ ward!

Frankly
08-11-2005, 08:55
[QUOTE=Scythequite on par with blood dragons (yes I'd go that far). [QUOTE]

Strigoi are actually better in game play, not only for the points cost, but hatred, extra attack, and the ability to not accept challenges means that they're very good at killing rank and file troops, which means accept CR much, much more.

gortexgunnerson
08-11-2005, 21:10
I actually don't rate blood dragons as a bloodline, I wouold rather play any other bloodline then them. I have faced blooddragons 3 times in tournment play and massacred them everytime, with Dwarfs, High Elves and my own undead.

I think they are the real one trick pony of undead, its basically a hard character and thats it. They don't really have anything else too them. Plus I believe that undead need to dominate or at least have a good representation in the magic phase to get the most out of them.

I agree that strigoi are not just flying circus, but I think by combining the best elements of a unit killing character, horde and flying circus a lethal combination can be formed. General lead horde flanked by ghouls, bats and thralls means artillery and missile troops get a slapping before the zombie mass get in and when it does it should still cut up most units if lead by a count.

Tormentor of Slaanesh
08-11-2005, 21:32
they're as good as any other bloodline at magic. they are jsut like other undead but are just killers and not seducers/challengers/magic/summoners. they do need their own list though.

gorenut
09-11-2005, 06:51
Strigoi lords, I believe are actually even better when NOT flying.. so I would disagree with "one trick pony"

If you put him on foot and spend the points on other abilities.. the guy is quite survivable having the free ward save and the ability to regenerate. They are the best bloodline for rank and file killing.. so in combat prowess, I'd put them above Von Carstein and on par with Blood Dragons, only in a different aspect (since BDs focus on 1v1). They are actually more versatile than BD since you don't have to issue challenges and have a champ get slaughtered why your cunning lord goes on a killing spree on the troops.

Only questionable things about them are their thralls. Although quite good offensively... defensively.. highly lacking. Also they should be allowed to join ghouls.

Scythe
09-11-2005, 08:27
My issues stem from their slow nature, lack of armour save, lack of extended magical abilities, lack of magic items, etc... in an unarmed arena fight they are terrifying, I conceeed that. However to keep in theme of the Strigoi, you'd be looking at swarms of infantry. Now there is only so much infantry you can fit within range of the General, making the army slow. I overlooked a few things, I will admit, and it was more of a general question to get my bearings on the Strigoi, since I haven't played Fantasy since 4th Ed, back when it was Wahammer Armies: Undead and every Vampire was Carstein ;)

You're not stuck with infantry all the way. Take bats and wolves for speed (fluffy enough) and take a lot of ghouls and a spirit swarm for tactical variety and flexibility (yes, they are still infantry, but with a twist).

Strigoi are actually better in game play, not only for the points cost, but hatred, extra attack, and the ability to not accept challenges means that they're very good at killing rank and file troops, which means accept CR much, much more.

Depends on what you want your vampire for. For combat resolution, a Strigoi is indeed superior. However, in a Challenge, the Blood Dragons tend to have the upper hand, mainly because their amazing WS combined with killing blow, and their very good armour saves.

fubukii
09-11-2005, 14:16
just pop in some unit champs they will try to challenge your strigoi vamp and just accept with a skel champion that will get massared by their lord choice where you blood dragon will be stuck fighting their hero (lets face it with wards and all the other defensive items it can be hard sometimes to land a wound on these guys >.<). Now the advantage of the strigoi vamp, while your champ is gettin murdered he has 5/6 attacks hits on 3+ with a reroll and wounds Most troops on a 2+. depending on their lord choice they will def get the 2 points for killing your champ(overkill + original wound), while you kill 3-4 of their units troops. Already popping you ahead by 2 cr then outnumber and flanks >.<.

Just remember Counts are all about one thing CR