PDA

View Full Version : Would a Legion of the Damned army be balanced?

Warped Bob
26-08-2008, 16:40
Ok so over the weekend I got a chance to look at the new marine codex at Gamesday LA, unfortunately my friend did too and now he wants to resurrect his old legion of the damned army. He wants to just have the squads of legion of the damned count as troops and then use dreadnoughts and an HQ with storm sheild (he didn't specify whether he wanted a captain or chapter master).

So the basic question is would having marines, that cost roughly twice as much, with a 3+ invulnerable, the ability to re-roll deepstrike, and an extra attack as your only troops choice be unbalanced?

EmperorEternalXIX
26-08-2008, 16:43
Well my question is, does the codex actually allow this?

Because, if it doesn't, well...this is a moot point.

Warped Bob
26-08-2008, 16:49
Let me be clear the new codex does not allow this.

My friend was just dying to use his old legion of the damned army and trying to convince me it was balanced. I am still not convinced so I made a poll which depending on the responses I might be able to point to for arguments against him using it.

Ubermensch Commander
26-08-2008, 16:56
Well to judge if it would be balanced or not one would have to see a proposed LIST for an all Legion of the Damned army. What do they have access too? What special rules do their units have? What is the point cost?
Since the Marine codex isnt out yet we cannot even evaluate if having all troops be Legion of the Damned would be balanced. Likely they would be one trick ponies unelss they have acess to standard tac squad equipment.

EmperorEternalXIX
26-08-2008, 17:08
I imagine it'd be akin to those plague marine lists you see...a handful of dudes who do not die, but don't do much offensively either.

lanrak
26-08-2008, 17:09
Hi.
AFAIK, 'Legion Of the Damned' were an 0-2 allies /elite chioce.
(When they had the special rules of 3+ invun save etc.)

Because 1 or 2 'tactical squads' would just appear out of the warp when thier battle brothers had dire need of thier support.

Or has thier been some 'Chapter Aproved' rules since then?

J-L
26-08-2008, 17:16
The new codex seems really flexible and I wouldn't allow someone to make up his own changes in addition to all the new stuff space marines get. In my opinion, he can use his army in apocalypse. Otherwise, he should follow the codex like everyone else. However, why not let him try out his army a couple of times with his rules suggestion for friendly games?

Warped Bob
26-08-2008, 17:19
Sorry I always follow the rumors closely so I forget that many people do not know what their rules will be.

Let me outline the basic Legion of the Damned rules so those that have not seen the codex can participate.

Cost: approx twice a normal marine

Stats: similar to a normal tactical squad with 2 attacks, 3++, and sergeant with WS5

Options: similar to a normal tactical squad

Special rules: Always deepstrike with re-roll scatter, Slow and Purposeful and cannot be split into combat squads

And as far as what else would be in the army list, well my friend only mentioned taking dreadnoughts and a HQ, but my main problem is with LotD as a troops choice. I believe that just having LotD as troops would already make a list unbalanced.

Blue Orphen
26-08-2008, 17:28
If he wants to use his old LotD army, tell him to buy the Chaos Codex and use them as 'counts as' Thousand Sons.

3+/4++, SnP, AP3 Bolters, "Sergeants" that have access to some spiffy powers - nice and 'elite'. Use CSM squads with the Mark of Tzeentch as Legion marines to get access to the heavy and special weapons.

But I am doubtful that allowing someone to use the (rumored) rules for LotD in the new Marine book as a Troops choice would be balanced. If he insists, tell him to start playing Apocalypse.

Mojaco
26-08-2008, 17:33
Sounds balanced to me. 3++ save is overrated as more and more armies rely on quantity over quality, 2 attacks is nothing special and they're really expensive. Against my Eldar army they would be mostly irrelevent :)

I'd say let him. In friendly games anything should go, as long as the two of you have the same attitude coming into the game. Alternatively, the 1k sons suggestion is also pretty good.

TzeentchForPresident
26-08-2008, 17:38
I voted "maybe". I am pretty sure they will suffer vs Horde armies.

lethlis
26-08-2008, 17:45
Since it is a friendly game I would let him do whatever he feels like(within reason) and see what happens. Hell just the other day I played a 1000 point game against ezekiel and a 250 point retinue, was it legal? yes balanced? HELL NO. If your friend wants to play this list I would let him take 2 squads as troops. Remember even though his save is invul 80%+ of the weapons are gonna kill him just the same.

However with the dreadnaught and making up rules I would have to say no go. As long as he uses points foundations in the books then it is fine but when he starts amking up his own point values is whent he trouble would start.

Killgore
26-08-2008, 17:54
id say play your game with his LotD as troops with the dreadnoughts and have fun

it dosnt seem overpowered and if the game does go badly you'v only wasted a few hours of your life and it wont be the end of the world

Xandros
26-08-2008, 18:08
Sounds like fun! Although as troops they might be too good for their points since they'd also be scoring. Bear in mind they're better than Thousand Sons in most respects.

Lord Exander
26-08-2008, 18:17
I'd happily play against an army like that with my blood angels army. Or with my tau army for that matter. Considering their cost they really aren't very durable.

Slaaneshi Slave
26-08-2008, 18:30
"You want to Deep Strike closer to me? Great!"

Turn one, Dreadnought dies. Turn two first squad of Marines dies (assuming they only come in one at a time). Turn 3, second squad of Marines dies.

Yes, I play Sisters of Battle. Let me see your 3+ save survive against 120 Bolter rounds.

I don't think his army will perform well at all. He just wont be able to get enough bodies on the table.

EDIT: I don't seen an option for "This army would suck"...

nomadimp
27-08-2008, 00:27
offhand I would say "probably not" but there is a really easy way to find out, play a few games and see how it goes, if it is fun for both sides, then it works, if you arent having fun, then it isnt working and you should try something else (the 1k sons counts as idea sounds good to me).

Warped Bob
27-08-2008, 08:13
While I do see some of the points made, I still am hesitant to play my friend because of the slippery slope this could open.

I think I will take peoples advice and when the new marine codex is released let him play them once, but hold him to not complaining if they under-perform or gloating if they prove to be unbalanced.