PDA

View Full Version : 2k straight Nurgle mortals

devolutionary
07-11-2005, 06:38
I'm just starting to get in to Fantasy. This is one of two armies I am looking at building. Quite simply I love the new Chaos Warriors, so I wanted as many of them as I could get without being too stupid. The list is low on magic (to say the least), big on angry Chaos Warriors that cause fear.

Opinions welcome :)

Exalted Champion - 188
Barded Chaos Steed, Shield, Soul Cleaver, Mark of Chaos

Sorceror of Chaos - 185
Level 2 Wizard, Dispell Scroll, Mark of Nurgle

Aspiring Champion of Chaos - 105
Battle Standard

5 Chaos Knights - 265
Full Command, Mark of Nurgle

17 Chaos Warriors - 335
Shields, Full Command, Mark of Nurgle

17 Chaos Warriors - 335

Chariot of Chaos - 135
Mark of Nurgle

10 Marauder Horsemen - 162
Shields, Chieftan

16 Marauders - 127
Light Armour, Shields, Chieftan, Musician

16 Marauders - 127
Light Armour, Flails, Chieftan, Musician

6 Warhounds - 36

Total of 2000 points

Vulnerabilities I can see are the ridiculously underpowered Characters (is that legal? :p ), lack of magic and magic defense, lack of mobility, though I think three cavalry units should be sufficient in many circumstances, and the general plodding nature of infantry.

Thoughts and opinions welcome, as always :)

devolutionary
07-11-2005, 20:58
*bump, cough* It's perfect then? Sorry, I realised I posted thiss off-peak times, and now it is peak times on the forum again ;)

TheDrugLordX
07-11-2005, 21:48
Nice list, I would have played something similar if I played chaos. I too love love the new chaos warrior models.

So, you think your low on character fighting and magic? here's what I'd do.

Drop the Exalted Champion (with mark of chaos...:wtf: ) and the sorcerer. Add in a Exalted Chaos Sorcerer with mark of nurgle, Chaos daemon sword, mounted on barded steed.

This gives you a Wizard Lord with better fighting capabilities than lots of characters out there. Not only that, but he's also mounted and has a armour save of 2! beat that if you can.

Though, this Exalted sorcerer comes at a slightly higher cost, so I'm afraid you have to get the pts from elsewhere...

Chaos battle standard kinda sucks (unless you have the banner of the gods which rocks!). Get rid of the banner and give him something to fight with instead, you said you were low on charcter fighting potential...

why 17 chaos warriors? Drop 'em to 15 each, they will do fine in this amount and besides, you needed some extra pts.

Maruader horsemen are light cav, and therefor should be in small units. Split this unit into 2 of 5. As these units should give support, you should eqip them more offensive then defensive (besides, the +1 save really don't make a big difference on this highly fragile unit). Replace their shields with Flails to give them hitting power, and give both units musicians instead of that one champion to make them bort effective bait units.

Considering as you alredy have steady blocks of nurgle warriors, 2 units of marauders seems a bit overkill. Make it one bigger unit of 20-25 (that act as your main rank & file unit) and give them a banner for gods sake! Keep the unit with shields, as flails only are worth giving to mounted marauders.

Now, if you have any spare pts (think it should be) get Mark of Nurgle for your aspiring champion, aswell as try to fit in yet a cheap character (having one with each unit of warriors). Or, ad some more support troops/screens. a unit or two of Warhounds would do great, or maybe a chariot...

devolutionary
07-11-2005, 22:00
Dammit, my perfection is ruined! *runs to cry in the corner*

All good advice. 17 Chaos Warriors was picked because... errr... that's how many I would have! That's three boxes, with two of them being used for colour testing purposes. It also means I could add in an infantry character to each and not have a superfluous man forming a rear rank like a fool. Neatness means a lot to me *chuckles*

I'll test out your ideas at work when I can break otu my books and do some calculating. Looks solid though :)

TheDrugLordX
07-11-2005, 22:47
After I read your post I started to feel like getting into chaos myself. I've toyed around a little with a list and thought; hey, why not post it to compare with your list? This list is VERY similar to yours. But as I said, I liked your list and would probably play something likewise if I played chaos.

Exalted Chaos Sorcerer @ 404pts
Chaos Daemon Sword, Level 4 Wizard, Barded Chaos Steed, Mark of Slaanesh

Exalted Chaos Champion @ 170pts
Whip of Pleasure, Mark of Slaanesh

Exalted Chaos Champion @ 149pts
Helm of Many Eyes, Great Weapon, Mark of Slaanesh

15 Chaos Warriors @ 275pts
Shields, Full Command, Mark of Slaanesh

5 Chaos Knights of Slaanesh @ 205pts
Champion, Mark of Slaanesh

Chaos Chariot @ 130pts
Mark of Slaanesh

20 Marauders @ 165pts
Light Armour, Shields, Full Command

5 Marauder Horsemen @ 81pts
Flails, Musician

Flails, Musician

5 Chaos Warhounds @ 30pts

I would say this is your list with some minor improvements (also, as I don't like nurgle I went with slaanesh). Now I'm seriously thinking of collecting this army... doh!:wtf:

Anyways, sry for stealing your topic. Hope you don't mind;)

devolutionary
07-11-2005, 22:52
A Slaanesh following monkey stole my thread?! Blasphemy! ;) Looks like I'm going to be updating this soon to see if I can match your work *laughs*

the_night_reaper
08-11-2005, 00:36
Here's how I would change the list if I were to use it. They might not be the best ideas but it's how I'd do it

Combine the warriors squad into one big squad of 25 (-225pts)
drop the mark off the chariot (-15pts)
Drop the battle standard (-105pts)
Give the maruader units standards (+20pts)
Split the horsemen into 2 groups of 5 with flails and musicians (no pt change)
Drop the light armour and flails off the 2nd marauder unit and give them great weapons (no pt change)
Make the knights chosen (+60pts)
Add another lvl 2 sorceror with a dispel scroll and MoCU (+145pts)
Make the marauder units 20 men strong (+56pts)
change the soul cleaver on the exalted champion for a great fang (+20pts)
add another unit of 6 hounds (+36 pts)

Like I said maybe not the best ideas (ex. great weapons for the marauders) but its how I would make the list and I'd definately say its a more powerful list than your list before. *IMPORTANT* remember to always have your knights and warriors screened! With 2 marauder horsemen units and 2 warhound units it shouldn't be that hard.

hope this helps!

devolutionary
08-11-2005, 01:18
Chosen knights are a massive points sink, and everything I've looked in to regarding this has said it's best not to do it at 2000points. I am interested in your opinion on why they should me upgraded to Chosen.

General thoughts seem to be that flails are best on horsemen, which should be in small units, and that the battle standard is generally useless. Good commentary in general. I'll have to evaluate everything and see how I like it all combined though, since I'm a little choosey and I play with models I like more than anything :D

archysucks_Hail_Crom
08-11-2005, 13:47
Exalted Champion - 188
Barded Chaos Steed, Shield, Soul Cleaver, Mark of Chaos
++GW Gaze of the Gods will go with knights you gotta mark him to go with them though

Sorcerer of Chaos - 185
Level 2 Wizard, Dispell Scroll, Mark of Nurgle
++1 lvl2 is not much in the way of defense try giving him the Power familiar to help out with casting and dispelling. Mount him for AS and movement.

Aspiring Champion of Chaos - 105
Battle Standard
++this guy really kind of sucks I honestly would turn him into another sorcerer lvl2 with skull of Katam. Now you have the potential to cast/dispel in the magic phase extremely well. also you may want to skip on the lore of nurgle for the second guy to save some points.

5 Chaos Knights - 265
++Chosen and your choice on dropping the champ now that your exalted is there. I would do it in a pinch for points but try to keep him in so you can feed him to a uber-killy lord instead of your exalted. ALWAYS take the warbanner as more times than not you will be outnumbered and your opponents will have ranks.

17 Chaos Warriors - 335
++ Just 16 is fine definitely weigh the value of MoN on these foot sloggers too.

17 Chaos Warriors - 335
++ same keep it 16 though so you can keep the free cmnd group.

Chariot of Chaos - 135
Mark of Nurgle
++nice

10 Marauder Horsemen - 162
Shields, Chieftain
++keep it 5 strong with either flails or spears and only a musc. to help the rally this config. should cost only 81 points allowing you 2 units for the price of this one.

16 Marauders - 127
Light Armour, Shields, Chieftain, Musician
+++ pump to 25 for free cmnd, ranks , and numbers as they are not as survivable as the warriors they need more fodder.

16 Marauders - 127
Light Armour, Flails, Chieftain, Musician
++drop completely as you already have three solid infantry blocks with a chariot helper.

6 Chieftain - 36
++ sweet for screens or flank harassers.

The problems I see with its current configuration are no Chieftain/lone mage killers. The knights have adequate support. though I go cav heavy so I am biased. Remember that Nurgle Lore is just about as good a magical knight killer as you can get with many spells negating armor completely try to make significant holes in his expensive units.

Exalted Chaos Sorcerer @ 404pts
Chaos Daemon Sword, Level 4 Wizard, Barded Chaos Steed, Mark of Slaanesh
++ the daemon sword is in anticipation of having your 400 pt mage in close combat. WHY IN THE :eek: WOULD YOU DO THAT!?!:wtf: put this guy on a steed of slaanesh and use that M10 to keep him AWAY from the enemy. and casting crap on the enemy. give him both the skull of katam and the power familiar.

Exalted Chaos Champion @ 170pts
Whip of Pleasure, Mark of Slaanesh
++The whip blows give him rending sword and enchanted shield for on foot

Exalted Chaos Champion @ 149pts
Helm of Many Eyes, Great Weapon, Mark of Slaanesh
++Stupidity REALLY sucks with no reroll and yes you are still subject to it even though you are immune to psych. mount this guy keep the GW and give him Gaze of the Gods. put him in your chosen knights. If this unit runs you've already lost the game so the spawn generating is the least of your worries.

++ pump to 16 for free cmnd

++same

5 Chaos Knights of Slaanesh @ 205pts
Champion, Mark of Slaanesh
++chosen full cmnd at your discretion absolutely take the warbanner and put your exalted here.

Chaos Chariot @ 130pts
Mark of Slaanesh
++nice though this mark would be the first thing to drop in need of points.

20 Marauders @ 165pts
Light Armour, Shields, Full Command
++pump to 25 for free cmnd.

Flails, Musician
++:D

Flails, Musician
++ditto

++cool

++cool

++Overall not bad just be sure to take out warmachines early with magic or 1 unit of horsemen and warhounds combination. You have 3 units of sloggers and thats a whole lot of targets for trebuchets lobbers bolt throwers and cannons.

TheDrugLordX
08-11-2005, 15:39
Chosen knights are a massive points sink, and everything I've looked in to regarding this has said it's best not to do it at 2000points. I am interested in your opinion on why they should me upgraded to Chosen.
I soo do agree with you. It just doesn't seem worth it. With my lord amongst my knights they are extremely good hitters anyways, and they are meant for support, not to take care of units head-on. Though, that's maybe what I should do? As it is now they'll hardly be able to break a fully ranked infantry unit, but the choosen ability is so damn expensive and I'm not sure their chances increase enough...

And I have to ask you? wtf(:wtf: ) do you mean with free command? as I recall there no free commands for chaos. Or have I missed something?

archysucks_Hail_Crom
09-11-2005, 10:18
Spaneon's horde rules in SoC book any army not taking any beasts or daemons can be an archies horde list basicaly it gives you free cmnd for warrior units 16 up and free cmnd for marauder units 25 up. It also makes chosen knights and warriors special choices allowing you to field more than one unit of chosen warriors and knights (though I think to do THAT in 2k would be dumb)

Storm of Chaos book pg.18

AH armies may not include any daemons or beasts

any army chosen from this list may only have one type of mark other than the mark of chaos undivided.

A unit of marauders numbering 25 or more models may upgrade three models to a command group for free

a unit of warriors numbering 16 or more models may upgrade three models to a comand group for free

LORDS
lord of chaos
exalted sorcerer of chaos

HEROES
exalted champ of chaos
aspiring champ of chaos
sorcerer of chaos

CORE
warriors
Marauders
Marauder horsemen
knights
warhounds (still don't count towards min. core)

Special
Flayer kin (new unit also in book)
chosen warriors
chosen knights
chariots

RARE
Hellcannon (new unit also in book)
Spawn
Dogs of War

The list does not have to include archeon nor Crom.

TheDrugLordX
09-11-2005, 11:35
OH, I didnt know that (as I don't have the SoC book).

Thx for the information, that will indeed come in handy when making my army :)

the_night_reaper
12-11-2005, 15:51

I'm not sure what you guys are thinking when your saying chosen status on knights is a point sink. Have any of you actually used these monsters? Whatever your answer to that is here's a few reason why they are awesome.

For a unit of 5 knights to be upgraded to chosen it's only 60 pts. Yes I know only 60 pts isnt something you hear everyday but onsider this, You get 5 more S 5 W 5 attacks. For a normal rank and file unit that should be able to kill at least 4 more models! or it could b another couple wounds on those dragons or minotaurs or whatever else gets in your path on has you in theirs. and on top of all that, it gives your knights a great 1+ armour save! All that at only 60 pts. If you ever lose combat with these guys its because you charged them into a dragon or other extremely powerful enemy, you didn't protect their flanks properly or your having the worst rolling of your life.

hope this helps change your mind.

archysucks_Hail_Crom
13-11-2005, 06:10
AMEN

Preach on Brotha'

Preach on!

Learnify the daemons of non-chosenifie nativity.:skull:

TheDrugLordX
13-11-2005, 16:10
I'm not sure what you guys are thinking when your saying chosen status on knights is a point sink. Have any of you actually used these monsters? Whatever your answer to that is here's a few reason why they are awesome.

For a unit of 5 knights to be upgraded to chosen it's only 60 pts. Yes I know only 60 pts isnt something you hear everyday but onsider this, You get 5 more S 5 W 5 attacks. For a normal rank and file unit that should be able to kill at least 4 more models! or it could b another couple wounds on those dragons or minotaurs or whatever else gets in your path on has you in theirs. and on top of all that, it gives your knights a great 1+ armour save! All that at only 60 pts. If you ever lose combat with these guys its because you charged them into a dragon or other extremely powerful enemy, you didn't protect their flanks properly or your having the worst rolling of your life.

hope this helps change your mind.
And if you face a shooty-heavy opponent, or a very mobile one, that's 60 extra free VP's for my enemy.

You see my point?;)

Sure, they might have inhuman strength, but they can't be everywhere at once, it's usually better to divide strength between units instead of putting everything in one basket.

Killax
13-11-2005, 16:36
Well indeed they can't be everywere but I would alsways take them with a heroe with a GW.

That mostley kills a lot and he has alot of wounds. Even against a shooty army he has his change to kill something.

I have to agree that chosen nurgle knights arn't as good as chosen khorne knights or slaanesh. But they do cause fear, and if you can use them against other knights they do have the upperhand of outnumbering and winning the combat.

So if you will use them good, they can bring in a LOT of VP's

the_night_reaper
14-11-2005, 23:21
And if you face a shooty-heavy opponent, or a very mobile one, that's 60 extra free VP's for my enemy.

You see my point?;)

Sure, they might have inhuman strength, but they can't be everywhere at once, it's usually better to divide strength between units instead of putting everything in one basket.

Well against a shooty army they are well armoured and should be well screened too. And if they do get squashed by shooting before they hit combat ( which should be at around turn 2 or 3) it means that they used all their fire power on the scary knights therefore means the restof your army will get into combat with little or no casualties. That would mean a victory almost outright for you as shooty heavy army aren't usually great in combat.

And against a fast army well, knights are also very fast and not easily avoided. Ecspecially if your going to use them to charge rank and file units which don't tend to be that fast.

And as for putting all the eggs in one basket, assuming he uses my suggestions would you rather him add to the 25 man squad of warriors or the 20 man squad of marauders?

Savnock
15-11-2005, 03:21
Regarding the original post:

Good list overall- I've used something very similar for years, and done well with it. I started with a list almost completely like yours, and tweaked a few things after lots of play. This will be a long post, because I'm stoked to be able to share what I learned the hard way with someone else headed down the same path (of decay!).

The suggestion to use the Archaeon's Horde list is a good one.

Your estimation of your vulnerabilities is also very spot on. Chief one: mobility, which in turn leads to vulnearbility to missile fire. Treat the first affliction, and you can cure the second in the deal. Mitigating this shortcoming requires more cav units (BTW, your cav are there to harass, intimidate and then support your infantry.) One fast cav unit is never enough- always take two or more. They're too vulnerable to missile fire and other fast cav to be relied upon singly. Knights are a bit expensive to up in 2000 points, so fast cav is what you're left with.

Concrete suggestions:

Cut one unit of Warriors
First, free up points by eliminating your second unit of Chaos Warriors. This will help balance your list towards more speed and less slogging, and reduce the number of slow high-point targets for missile armies. Someone else suggested reducing your Marauders due to having 2 units of Chaos Warriors- I suggest the opposite. Frankly, your hardest enemies to fight will be doing everything they can to _avoid_ such a huge block of Chaos Warriors, and they are likely to be successful if you don't have fast units with which to pin them down. Marauders are more inviting to fight in hand-to-hand, which will spell doom for the enemy if you can use your cav well.

Beef up the other Warriors
Apply points first to getting your remaining Warrior unit up to 20 and giving them the War Banner. The Mark of Nurgle works best at 20 or more models, guaranteeing you outnumber and a break versus almost anything else in the game (that isn't immune to fear) if you add in a character or flanking support. This will be easier if you use the Archaeon's Horde rules, as your command will be free (for 20 models, you're actually _saving_ 5 points!). If you're using your fast troops well (reducing missile fire and flanking when CC rolls around), 20 models plus the +1 from the War banner will still get 12 to 15 models into combat, which should be enough after one or two units of combat.

If you have extra Warriors around from box buys, don't fret- they're very popular on the bitz trade market.

Beef up the Marauders
Next, beef up your LA/Shield Marauders to 25. 5 ranks of 5 make this unit quite hard, especially with character. That's a 50-point jump for a likely +1 CR head-to-head, 2 more models to kill in order to force a panic test, and a greater intimidation factor.

With the flail marauders, it really depends on what foe you're facing. Versus Elves, fighty Empire, or Dwarves with lots of missile fire, 2 units of 10 in 2x5 tend to do better than 1 of 16 in my experience. Use them for suicide charges or in combo with hounds to kill missile units (keeping them off of the fast cav, warriors, etc.) The LA is rarely usefull with flails on foot- ditch it to save points.

If you don't split them, switch the unit to LA/Shield and up it to 25 as well, or 24 plus the sorcerer. That 4+ save is so useful it's unbelievable.

More fast cav- the most important thing.
Buy at least one more unit of Marauder horsemen, preferrably two. Bump both units down to 6- you don't get ranks for fast cav anyways, and the difference for panic will be moot after one turn of shooting anyways. If you want to use them for frontal assaults versus weak units, use two of your units of 6, with one on the flank if possible. I like spears, too.

More Warhounds
Buy another unit of Warhounds. They're invaluable for screening your knights, and make a cheap distraction/war machine hunter unit when coupled with your fast cav. They'll almost always run, so don't count on them for much more than dying- anything else is gravy. BTW, keep them away from each other to avoid losing them all- come in from different angles on one target with two packs if you're planning to kill something.

Unmark the Chariot
The suggestion to drop the mark from the chariot is a good one.

Characters

Good choices already, but gear and Marks could use a tweak.

A Battle Standard is _not_ a waste when used with Marauders and/or one vital CC unit. Sneaky trick: give him the Gore Banner if you're not giving him anything else magical. It essentially gives MoCU (back) to whatever unit he joins.

Soul Cleaver, however, is not such a hot choice. If you're worried about monsters or enemy cav, the Sword of Might is almost always your best choice. Versus other characters, the Rending Sword is better than Soul Cleaver, as no additional test is needed and it can do more wounds.

The Mark of Nurgle is fluffy for the mage, but not really the best competitive choice for two reasons- cost and the lore that accompanies it. In fact, fluff-wise, the Mark is probably best on your general (and the extra wound doesn't hurt either). I can certainly understand your wish to try out the Nurgle lore, but it's really only best against cav armies such as Brettonians (against whom it shines), or other Chaos. A better tactical choice is Fire or Death- and Death isn't that far from Nurgle fluff anyways.

Give the mage a second scroll too. It's worth the points.

So, here's the list as I would mod it:

Exalted Champion - 188
Barded Chaos Steed, Shield, Sword of Might, Mark of Nurgle
[Now that I look at it, I guess you had the Mark of Nurgle on him in the first place, but mis-typed it or something.]

Sorceror of Chaos - 170
Level 2 Wizard, Dispell Scroll x2, Mark of Chaos Undivided
[Goes w/ Marauders on weak flank]

Aspiring Champion of Chaos - 130
Battle Standard, Gore Banner
[Goes w/ Marauder unit on strong flank. Can always switch with sorcerer if enemy gets tricky with deployment.]

5 Chaos Knights - 265

20 Chaos Warriors - 355
Shields, Full Command, Mark of Nurgle, War Banner

Chariot of Chaos - 120
Mark of Chaos Undivided

6 Marauder Horsemen - 108
Shields, Spears, Chieftan

25 Marauders - 175
Light Armour, Shields, Chieftan, Musician

25 Marauders - 175
Light Armour, Flails, Chieftan, Musician

6 Warhounds - 36

6 Warhounds - 36

6 Warhounds - 36

Total of 2000 points

This list will move faster, be a bit more fluid (which to me is more fun) to play, and deal better with your vulnerabilities. It does have one less CC unit, but the beefier Marauders and Warrior unit make up for that in my experience. I found 2 Warrior units rarely did more, especially after they got shot up coming in.

As for deployment, I like to put the Chariot on the "weak" flank as defense against incoming cavalry units, and the Knights on the other (strong) flank. 1 fast cav unit flanks the enemy from the chariot side, with two from the Knight side- one supporting Knights, one going after war machines, etc. Hounds screen, esp. on flank with BSB as that unit gets to re-roll any panic from fleeing Hounds. The Knights and Marauder Cav swarming on the strong flank tend to distract opponents from the potential vulnerability of the weak flank, especially if the chariot is moving aggressively as well.

As you probably know about Chaos, keepthe pressure up, and never be on the defensive if you can help it- which works against everyone but Brettonians and Orcs. Against Orcs, go for a refused flank. Against Brettonians, do the same and switch your general to foot-mounted with MoCU and Helm of Many Eyes in either your Warrior unit or your outer Marauder unit. Flank with the fast cav and Knights to keep some cav units busy, and hope you do well in your first round or two of CC.

Hope that helps- slime on, my bubonic brother!

-Savnock

fubukii
15-11-2005, 04:19
devolutionary your list looks ok, mad props for stealing my uber avatar though :)

TheDrugLordX
15-11-2005, 15:13
And as for putting all the eggs in one basket, assuming he uses my suggestions would you rather him add to the 25 man squad of warriors or the 20 man squad of marauders?
Uhm, sry. But I'm kinda lost here...

And wtf:wtf: do you think of the knights? Sure, they are powerful, but you can't rely on them as there are plenty of ways to deal with them. Even head-on!

Not to long ago, I played a game vs Nurgle Mortals. He used a unit of 8 Chosen knights + Chaos lord with some nifty wargear. I charged this unit, head-on with a 5man strong unit of chariots (+TK). Now, I did not kill em all, but I killed enough and held 'em long enough for my ushabtis to get a flank charge and finish them off. With that unit gone he had like nothing that could threten my army.

@Savnock
Nice post, that will help me build my chaos army:) If I choose to build one that is...

Savnock
18-11-2005, 07:18
@Savnock
Nice post, that will help me build my chaos army:) If I choose to build one that is...

Thanks- glad to help. Wish I could suggest a cheap way to get all those Chaos Hounds, tho. The upside is that you can still use them in 40K with the rectangular bases, so you've got 2 good units for an LATD army there. Throw in some mutants made out of your left-over Marauder bitz and maybe a unit of Chaos Space Marines, and you're almost getting your money's worth.

Sorry- a bit bitter about prices today. Stinking price hikes.

-Savnock.

devolutionary
29-01-2006, 02:44
RIGHT! After finally reading all feedback and consulting my fluff, I have come up with this! It only took me over two months...

Exalted Champion [209]
Barded Steed, Shield, Mark of Nurgle, Armour of Damnation, Sword of Might

Sorceror [226]
Level 2, Barded Steed, 2x Dispell Scrolls, Mark of Nurgle

Sorceror [135]
Power Familiar

16 Marauders [137]
Light Armour, Flails, Full Command

15 Marauders [130]
Light Armour, Shields, Hand Weapons, Full Command

20 Chaos Warriors [380]
Shields, Mark of Nurgle, Champion, Standard Bearer, Musician

7 Marauder Horsemen [124]
Light Armour, Spears, Chieftan

7 Marauder Horsemen [124]
Light Armour, Spears, Chieftan

7 Chaos Knights [331]
Mark of Nurgle, Full Command

Chariot [120]

7 Warhounds [42]

7 Warhounds [42]

I tried to work in 7s where possible, because I like the old number of the God's fluff. Obviously 21 Chaos Warriors and 14 Marauders is a bit daft, so I wasn't entirely consistent. 2:1 ratio of Marauder units to equivalent Warrior units, with an unmarked Sorceror acting as the Marauder shaman, the Sorceror the voice of the God for the Warriors, and my Exalted Champion lording it over all with his cool conversion.

Any comments people may have (this long afterwards) appreciated once more! :D

ROCKY
29-01-2006, 04:11
Looks good man! but imho you should cut down on the warriors and beef up the marauders 20-25. also you might want your exalted to take a GW and Gaze but that is just personal preference.

devolutionary
29-01-2006, 04:15
I have a big conversion for my exalted, and it relies on Archaon, so I can't do the old Great Weapon trick. I dont want to touch my Warriors either because I quite frankly love the models. I alreayd sliced out one unit and made them a single big unit to balance. I work heavily with diversionary tactics, giving numerous options that the enemy can eradicate, but at the expense of another unit swooping in on them and eradicating even more of them in turn (gambling, basically).

ROCKY
29-01-2006, 04:22
Well, you do have a point. But could you just not state that it is a great weapon? As in say that you did not want to harm your model so lets just consider it a GW? and how abou the gaze?

devolutionary
29-01-2006, 04:37
Oh, I also forgot to mention, I'm purely unorthodox. I usually use combinations in an army that most people don't prefer, or that run in a story (ie my Ghouls and Ghosts VC force). It's part of my "let's make it hard for the guy who is already crap at playing" scheme, it's good fun :D

I'm a big fluff player, so things like Gaze aren't suitable for what is pretty much an undead Nurgle champion on a wraithlike horse. The fancy armour and the sword are a bit more in keeping, especially since ward saves are protection against spells, which I dont think my dead styled nurgle force should have overly much of. That, and Gaze just erks me for some reaxson, I don't know why, it just... yeah.

ROCKY
29-01-2006, 04:46
LOL. you are indeed a very interesting character. I wouldn't call you a "crap" player at all. your list is very interesting. but why is it that many people no longer wnat ward saves? I would roll an extra dice or two inorder to save my bacon.

the_night_reaper
29-01-2006, 22:04
The list is ok, but you really don't have any heavy hitters. I don't think the number 7 is a god number for most units. If you want to stick with the fluff then just reduce the number of marauder horsemen and warhounds to 5 as they aren't marked so it's still fluffy. I still think you should upgrade the knights to chosen because it will make them so much better.

So here's what I would do:

-drop the mark of nurgle from your sorceror (-50pts)
it's very expensive and although nurgle magic is destructive, I think you'll find fire magic even more so.
-drop the steed from your sorceror (-16pts)
-replace the flails and light armour on the 16 man marauder unit with great weapons (no pt change)
(you'll find that a 6+ armour save isn't much better than no armour save, so for the same amount of pts you're giving you marauders +2 stregth for the whole game, and unfortunately losing an extra 3 or so marauders per game.
-drop the 2 marauder horsemen from each unit (-32pts)
It's still fluffy because they aren't marked-drop the cheiftan status on the marauder horsemen units (-24pts)
-drop the light armour(shields) and spears from the existing horsemen (-15pts)
-drop 2 hounds from each unit (-24pts) *note this will also save you $40+
-drop a knight (-33pts)
If you put the character in the unit it will make an nice 7 and save you pts
total pts dropped: 194pts

-give the marauder horsemen flails (10pts)
-upgrade your knights to chosen (72pts)
-add a musician to both marauder horsemen units (12pts)
I know I've said it already and you ignored me but you will see that the extra attacks and armour will help you a lot. Ecspecially because it's a fear causing unit, it's important that you win combats and with te extra cr and lower your opponents US to below 14, you should be able to auto-break most units in one turn of combat.
-Make your other corseror lvl2 (35pts)
-make both marauder units 20 strong. (63pts)
total pts added: 192pts

Here's what it will look like:

Exalted Champion
Barded Steed, Shield, Mark of Nurgle, Armour of Damnation, Sword of Might

Sorceror
Level 2, 2x Dispell Scrolls,

Sorceror
level 2, Power Familiar

20 Marauders
great weapons, Full Command

20 Marauders
Light Armour, Shields, Hand Weapons, Full Command

20 Chaos Warriors
Shields, Mark of Nurgle, Champion, Standard Bearer, Musician

5 Marauder Horsemen
Flails, musician

5 Marauder Horsemen
Flails, musician

6 Chaos Knights
Mark of Nurgle, Full Command

Chariot

5 Warhounds

5 Warhounds

hope this helps

devolutionary
29-01-2006, 22:13
So that's 6 Chosen Knights... dammit I like you list, I really do. I think it's a good compromise between my usually over fluffy head and the winning army groups. And I always want to include Chosen, I just get stuck in to my 40k mindset that ultra elites should not really be used (too many Terminators make you lose games, and lose badly).

Cheers for the assist on that one dude :)

ROCKY
29-01-2006, 22:15
Thats a great change! Looks Very interesting. Are the hounds enough though?

the_night_reaper
29-01-2006, 22:30
Thats a great change! Looks Very interesting. Are the hounds enough though?

the hounds are definately enough and I'm glad to be of help devolutionary.