PDA

View Full Version : Hollow worlds and Threats we've never heard of. Clearing up ?'s in the 5ed book

Walls
27-08-2008, 01:32
OK, so are hollow worlds just what they sound like? Anyone get what they are supposed to be exactly.

The 5th ed rule book also mentions the Draxian Hegemony, Worldweave of the Noisome Reek, the Ulumeathic League and the Church of Dracolith in the same sentence of the Tau Empire as upstart races and threats. Anyone clear up what these are? They certainly sound intriguing and could make for some very characterful armies I bet.

Feor
27-08-2008, 02:07
Hollow worlds are most likely planets with non-molten cores (so morte likely planetoids) which were so thoroughly mined out that they are nothing but a labarynthine framework of tunnels and galleries.

Would make excellent "warehouse worlds" for the munitorum, come to think of it.

THe other groups mentioned there are probably GW's way of finally acknowledging that no matter how dominant humanity is, the Galaxy is a big place, and there's bound to be some alien or heretic groups with dominance over 2 or 4 planets out there.

Gorbad Ironclaw
27-08-2008, 03:10
I would imagine that the names is all the fluff that exist on them. GW likes to put names of new races, places, units that don't exist into there products.

Koryphaus
27-08-2008, 04:01
IIRC C'Thonia (Homeworld of the Luna Wolves) was hollowed out due to mining.

Malevon
27-08-2008, 05:23
I think that these factions probably control more than two to four planets; in the fifth edition background development podcasts, the developers state that the Tau are representative of the many small alien empires amongst the stars, one of many. This doesn't suggest to me that the others are necessarily much less powerful or smaller.

Idaan
27-08-2008, 09:43
I think that the Church of Dracolith can be some form of C'tan influenced/controled race. From the name, clearly they're a religious group which worships a monolith (or a Necron Monolith maybe?) which is draconic in form. So some relations with the Dragon seem pretty clear.

The Judge
27-08-2008, 10:27
Well the Reek have been mentioned several times... there's a monster in Star Wars called a Reek, so that's what I imagine them to look like, even though it's a giant rhino/cow thing.

Feor
27-08-2008, 12:27
I think that these factions probably control more than two to four planets; in the fifth edition background development podcasts, the developers state that the Tau are representative of the many small alien empires amongst the stars, one of many. This doesn't suggest to me that the others are necessarily much less powerful or smaller.

Well, the fact that the Tau get an army book and they don't suggests to me that they are probably notably less of a threat to the Imperium than the Tau. Which to my mind, means smaller.

Faustburg
27-08-2008, 13:25
Well the Reek have been mentioned several times... there's a monster in Star Wars called a Reek, so that's what I imagine them to look like, even though it's a giant rhino/cow thing.

...which is why you can be pretty sure they will not look like that if they are ever realized...

Money is on them being called the Reek 'cause they stink.

x-esiv-4c
27-08-2008, 13:39
I'd like to know what that extra-dimensional weaponry was that one of those ork fleets had.

warmaster_dan
27-08-2008, 13:56
Money is on them being called the Reek 'cause they stink.

Especially as they're also described as 'noisome'.

It'd certainly be interesting if these are races which GW are planning to expand on, but it's unlikely.

Havock
27-08-2008, 14:45
I'd like to know what that extra-dimensional weaponry was that one of those ork fleets had.

Warp Cannons, probably.

Clockwork-Knight
27-08-2008, 15:25
Well, the fact that the Tau get an army book and they don't suggests to me that they are probably notably less of a threat to the Imperium than the Tau. Which to my mind, means smaller.Many hundred Space Marines Chapter don't get an army book either (fortunately), and they're still mighty defenders of mankind that exist in the background lore. All these other small alien empires are just to show that the Tau Empire isn't the only one. Also, the Tau are located in Segmentum Ultima, where most action happens (because it's the biggest, and untamed segmentum of all five), where many ork empires are, tyranid splinter fleets still prowl around, Ultramarines patrol imperial space, mighty Eldar craftworlds float in the night-darkness, and many smaller alien races just wait to be found. You know, perhaps these other alien empires are all even stronger than the Tau, because they're inmidst imperial "territory", and still able to hold out, even expand on the appearent weakness that the Imperium is showing for now.

Lothlanathorian
27-08-2008, 20:05
And the C'tan used to be an old race that the Imperium traded with in the galactic north, iirc. So, you never know, the Dracolith (which you stretched and reach so hard to make a C'tan could), could be the next big thing threatening the Imperium. Maybe the Dracolith is their ancient (Warp based) dragon deity and he hates humans. It is the frellin' lizardmen in 40K and they hate non scalies and will one day have a book 3 editions later lol

Col. Tartleton
27-08-2008, 21:40
My theory is that the reek are a species of evil carnivorous pigeons who are the nemesis of the Tau. Read it, its all there. They're loud stinking birds whose language is squawking and therefore "reek" as in their call. They are quite opposed to the Tau ATM although full reasons are not given, but Aun'Va is quite upset with them and ordered them destroyed IIRC. I was under the understanding that they are building the world weave which may be a dyson sphere in the process of being built. (it apparently goes dyson ring, bubble, shell which are all degrees of coverage.)

The Draxian Hegemony and Ulumeathic League are probably about equal to the Tau in size or slightly larger/smaller. The Church of Dracolith is clearly an alien theocracy probably like the one in Halo or something.

Clockwork-Knight
27-08-2008, 22:41
And the C'tan used to be an old race that the Imperium traded with in the galactic north, iirc. So, you never know, the Dracolith (which you stretched and reach so hard to make a C'tan could), could be the next big thing threatening the Imperium. Maybe the Dracolith is their ancient (Warp based) dragon deity and he hates humans. It is the frellin' lizardmen in 40K and they hate non scalies and will one day have a book 3 editions later lolWhere has it been ever said that the C'tan are a race that the Imperium traded with? All I do remember is about Imperial legions guarding something, and of course the famous Callidus Phase weapons, but other than that, where does this information come from?

DapperAnarchist
27-08-2008, 22:54
They didn't trade - Codex Imperialis says that Imperial troops guard the Gates of Varl against the quiescent perils of the Ctan (no apostrophe back then ).

Oh, and I object to the very concept of this thread. Mysteries in fiction should not be cleared up. In real life, yeah, sure. In fiction, let us have our questions that cannot or will not be answered, where we can wonder.

Lothlanathorian
28-08-2008, 06:10
Thank you, DapperAnarchist. I couldn't remember the Ctan details. I haven't read my Codex Imperialis in many, many, many years.

Also, I second your objection (and my first post was more of a tongue in cheek way of saying what you said, but I am the only person that gets me lol)

Zherghegg
28-08-2008, 08:01
I would imagine that the names is all the fluff that exist on them. GW likes to put names of new races, places, units that don't exist into there products.

this is true, I get the impression they do this alot.