View Full Version : Von Carsteins Warpath

Geordie Vampire
27-08-2008, 11:41
wanting Peoples opinions on my 1000pts and 1500pts army lists

1000pts
Vampire (Christophe von Carstein) Lv1 200pts
Forbidden Lore, Lord of the Dead, Flayed Hauberk, Power Stone, Biting Blade

Necromancer (Igor) Lv1 220pts
2 Dispel Scrolls, 1 Extra Necromancy Level, mounted on a Corpse Cart with Balefire

30 Skeleton Warriors 260pts
with full command upgrade

30 Zombies 132pts

2 units of 10 Dire Wolves 180pts
with Doom Wolf upgrade

1500pts

Konrad von Carstein 145pts

Vampire (Christophe von Carstein) Lv1 200pts
Forbidden Lore, Lore of the Dead, Flayed Hauberk, Power stone, Biting Blade

Necromancer (Bob) Lv1 135pts
2 extra necromancy spells, 2 Dispel Scrolls

30 Skeleton Warriors 260pts

30 Zombies 132pts
with command upgrade

25 Zombies 112pts
with command upgrade

25 Grave Guard 365pts
full command upgrade
Royal standard of Strigos

2 units of 10 Dire Wolves 180pts
with Doom Wolf upgrade

Stinkfoot
27-08-2008, 12:02
"1 Extra Necromancy Level" I assume means a extra spell?

Both lists look like they want to be a magic list, and both aren't, really. If you want to run magic, you should take 2 caster vamps at 1500 points and possibly at 1000 points as well. Give both vampires Dark Acolyte and Lord of the Dead, and one the book of Arkhan (assuming you don't also take a necromancer to take that/cast danse). With your magic item allotment you can either can combat gear and make yourself an all-rounder (which is more fun IMO) or take magic kit and make your magic phase truly fearsome.

Never take units of 10 wolves. Two units of 5 is better in every way, and upgrading your magic phase as suggested above is better still.

If you do turn your magic phase into something to be feared I'd drop the zombies and cut down the size of the skeletons (both can be raised fairly easily, and zombies won't win fights anyhow). Replace the zombies with skellies if you drop them. As is, not bad selections.

Geordie Vampire
28-08-2008, 11:04
well the vampires in both army lists is ment to be a split between magic and combat so he knows all spells and can raise extra skellies but he also has a 2+ armour save and an extra -1 to opponents armour save. necromancer is there only i case of heavy magic oppenent like HE for instance as i seem to fight them alot so hes just support and konrad gets that extra bite in combat. as for large units thats just so should a few models die its still likely they will outnumber the enemy and i dont have to worry about summoning as much

Stinkfoot
29-08-2008, 00:55
All-'rounder vampires, especially when they don't have the magic allowance of Lords, are a bad idea. You won't fight well or cast well. Having specialized characters makes your army much more efficient. Your vampire won't cast anything, so forbidden lore is a waste.

Your vampire is clearly a fighter, don't waste points on abilities he won't be able to use.