PDA

View Full Version : Obliterator armours

Deus Mechanicus
27-08-2008, 21:41
Im alittle divided on the question here. The codex mentions that the obliterators were often techmarines or dark mechanicus affiliates and further goes on to mention that they work as mercenaries and don't actually belong to a warband.

My question is would the big bad established Legions (Alpha Legion in this case) have Obliterators in the Alpha Legion color scheme?

Eetion
27-08-2008, 22:25
In their colours probably not... Unless they are inducted into the Legion.. maybe as operatives in the dark mechanicus.... or just recruited.

Make some fluff to explain them joining.

MrBigMr
27-08-2008, 22:26
Nothing has never stopped anyone from painting IG tanks the same colour as their regiment, even as by fluff they should be from different regiments. And shouldn't Eldar aspects have their own colours, instead of being (totally?) coloured like their craftworld?

But I think the word you chould focus on, is "often." There's a great number of perfectly good, insane techphilies in every Chaos legion/warband that are able to turn obliterator. All you need the virus or enough obsession (depending on which version you believe in, I think both are as good, one explaining how it happens, the other why it happens).

Besides, why would the worship of the Machine God be any different from all the other gods? My Chaos army has a techmarine (using normal SM rules for it) that I'm making as an obliterator and she's a perfectly dedicated to the fleet, even if she happens to be a dedicated (though damned) techpriestess of the Machine God. Armour is armour and it can be painted in any colour needed. You got Christian soldiers in the US military, the British military, the French, the German, etc. They carry the colours of their country even if they believe in the same God and might carry a cross around their necks.

So, I think its up to what ever you want.

DapperAnarchist
27-08-2008, 22:57
Oblits might just not care what they look like, as concern with appearance is beneath Machine. So the Alpha Legion might just go "hold still a moment *spray, spray*... there we go, all better now"

MrBigMr
27-08-2008, 23:09
Maybe they should try painting them red to make them less slow and more purposeful?

Ikkaan
28-08-2008, 09:33
Well, the basic idea of the obliterators was a virus....and as you catch a virus and not "elect" to get it - anyone who is touched by an obliterator (with possible transmission of the virus) is eligible to catch the virus and undergoes physical change.

So, the question is if alpha marines spar with obliterators...the chance is pretty low. But it may happen on rare occasions. But given the cold tactics of the alpha marines it could mean that the victim is expelled from the chapter.

Faustburg
28-08-2008, 09:53
Ehh... you are aware that very much far from all viruses are transferable by touch, right?

Nowhere in the, granted, small pieces of info on Obliterators given since they first appeared in the 1999 codex is it mentioned that they would go around infecting others, deliberately or not...

The_Warsmith
28-08-2008, 10:26
the novel 'storm of iron' talks about the obliterator virus and faustburg is correct it cannot be transmited from one individual to another, IIRC the 'subject' had the virus injected directly into him

pookie
28-08-2008, 11:35
go for it, the only note on oblits i can think of ( about there allegiance) is that they dont show allegiance to any of the 4 powers Specificaly, theres no mention that they wouldnt remain or at least have some Loyality to the Chapter they came from ( ie armour colour ) - and just Coz GW paints them Black dont mean you couldnt have em Pink! (although that isnt good idea)....

PondaNagura
28-08-2008, 15:31
hmm, i can see an obliterator to either elect to change his own armor, getting paid to do so, or say 'bugger off' and make his armor bright pink with yellow flames and bunnies.
since they can often change their forms and guns at will, i can't see why they couldn't change their armor's color, now being more of an external carapace skin to them than actual armor.

MrBigMr
28-08-2008, 16:06
since they can often change their forms and guns at will, i can't see why they couldn't change their armor's color, now being more of an external carapace skin to them than actual armor.
Seeing that the Alphas are infiltrators, wouldn't it be good for the Obliterators to take different shapes as well?
http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk/pack.php?pack=773
*knocking on the door of a bunker*
"Please, Mister, let me in, I'm scared and ever so cold."

Ikkaan
28-08-2008, 16:48
the novel 'storm of iron' talks about the obliterator virus and faustburg is correct it cannot be transmited from one individual to another, IIRC the 'subject' had the virus injected directly into him

I just think that a manual spreading mechanism would rob the obliterator virus of its potential. Actually it would be more evil (and dangerous) if it could be transmitted by touch, spit, blood, whatever. Otherwise it is just be a chaos cult like the raptors with an initiation ritual (injection).

The Lexicanum Entry (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Obliterator_Virus) states that the Virus is transmitted by bodily fluids or by touch (Stage 1 also enables an unknowing victim to infect others, so it canīt be a injection mechanism, it has to infection by touch or fluid). It also says the Iron Warriors are probably deliberately infecting subjects to increase their numbers. Which means that the obliterator virus is a real menace, as a small number of obliterators can slowly build up a cult in remote areas of a civilisation that can only be stopped when its already established if they plan carefully.

Seeing that the Alphas are infiltrators, wouldn't it be good for the Obliterators to take different shapes as well?
http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk/pack.php?pack=773
*knocking on the door of a bunker*
"Please, Mister, let me in, I'm scared and ever so cold."

No one said obliterators have to be space marines in the first place. A small starting cult could be composed of policemen, men, women and also children. They just need a supply of weapons and armor to meld with. Which brings me back the guerilla tactics from the alpha warriors - smuggling weapons, armor and a freshly infected cult leader to a world could work.