PDA

View Full Version : Help with Dogs of War

Templar47
28-08-2008, 08:07
Hey. After looking all over the place and getting as many conversions as possible, I'm starting to get a nice army lit going for my DOW army but I've noticed something. While looking at DOW forums, I've noticed a number of special characters and units that arent on the printout DOW army lists (aka rhinox riders). and I was wondering where can I get these rules? And can I put my general in a unit of Volands Ventors if I wanted? Help would be greatly appreciated and I'll post my list as soon as possible.

Condottiere
28-08-2008, 09:15
And can I put my general in a unit of Volands Ventors if I wanted?Yes. And other DoW independent characters.

Braad
28-08-2008, 10:58
For the Rhinox riders, check the Forgeworld website. I do believe they are not official though.

Templar47
29-08-2008, 17:18
Thanks for the replies so far. I just recently got a really good deal with a fellow player at my store and now I have enough models for a 3500 point infantry heavy list :D!!!!, which is great cause I already have a heavy calvary Bretonnia army. Now I can sign up for the tournament my store is having next friday, so I'll post my list soon. Im planning to field units of 30x pikemen and are leadblechers any good? could use some help

ZigZagMan
29-08-2008, 19:13
Halflings are great pt for pt, and the crossbow men are pretty good too. leadbelchers kinda suck. But the rhinox riders rock, but they take up 2 rare choices.
If you have armybuilder make sure to turn on the special characters option, as well as regiments of reknown, then all the extra stuff will show up. Rhinox riders were in a white dwarf and are official, BUT are not allowed in non-OK armies at Grand Tournaments.

Condottiere
29-08-2008, 19:28
Point for point, the best generic unit to have are Dwarves with HA, Sh, GW and crossbow.

Braad
29-08-2008, 21:11
Maybe you could use your bretonnia knights as DOW cavalry... That'll give you a really big army.

Left wing jAy
29-08-2008, 23:32
Can I ask, what DoW lists are currently applicable? I have a fair few lying around, from the 4th Ed. Army Book to a number of WD lists, as well as the Hordes list. And then, what Regiments of Renown are available?

They caught my eye a long time ago, and during a recent return to Warhammer I'd just written them off and looked at Empire, but I keep wondering about their availability in 7th Ed.

Thommy H
30-08-2008, 00:21
The current Dogs of War army lists. (http://uk.games-workshop.com/dogsofwar/lists/)

Left wing jAy
30-08-2008, 00:33
Wow, so my WD 251 is still valid - thanks.

gary0044187
30-08-2008, 01:05
yeah this looks like the army list from Chronicles a couple years back. they are great, but the magic gear is kinda limited. do not expect your leaders to be that great, unless you are feilding Regiments of Renown units. There is this particularly good Dwarven character you can get to duel pretty much anything and win. even if he is not dueling, he or his Empire friend can tear up some RnF.

Crazy Harborc
30-08-2008, 01:32
Well, the GW, USA site does not list any DoW/RoR in the sections of the store I checked last week. There was no Errata for them in the Errata lists that were listed on the site. Nobody seems to know what will become of them, a armybook or list OR no more mention anywhere for the rest of the lifetime of 7th Edition??

That said....if a goodly portion of your games will NOT be in GW stores....I wish you many happy games and some victories too.;)

Left wing jAy
30-08-2008, 02:14
Bit of a weird case within GW, then. From a fully fledged (and highly enjoyable) army book in 4th, to a get-you-by list in 5th (and 6th? or the same one)...and nothing in 7th...

Are they an army? I wish things were a bit less secretive in this company, collecting an army is a long-term choice for alot of people.

Condottiere
30-08-2008, 02:27
I'll repeat the rumour I heard in a previous thread - said rumour being that towards the end of the current production cycle, the DoW will be re-issued.

Take it with a pinch of salt. And there are six army books still be be revised.

gary0044187
30-08-2008, 02:49
I'll repeat the rumour I heard in a previous thread - said rumour being that towards the end of the current production cycle, the DoW will be re-issued.

Take it with a pinch of salt. And there are six army books still be be revised.
last I checked every dow troop was metal in blisters of 3, yuck

Griefbringer
30-08-2008, 09:37
From a fully fledged (and highly enjoyable) army book in 4th, to a get-you-by list in 5th (and 6th? or the same one)...and nothing in 7th...

There was no DoW book during the 4th edition (I'll skip discussion about the mercenaries in the 3rd edition lists). Their army book was released during 5th edition (around 1998). The WD lists came out one month after the release of 6th edition.

One advantage the current DoW list has over the original army book is that there are a lot more generic DoW units - the original book was almost only regiments of reknown.

jullevi
30-08-2008, 09:49
Wow, so my WD 251 is still valid - thanks.

WD list is outdated. The list on the website is the updated version that was released in Warhammer Annual 2002. There aren't many changes apart from hiring rules. The updated list allows many Regiments of Renown to be hired as Special choices instead of Rare.

In 6th edition GW (unofficially) ruled that Dogs of War and Regiments of Renown units couldn't be joined by characters that weren't DoW or RoR themselves. Since the army list is from 6th edition, I would continue to play with that ruling.

More info at Direwolf FAQ (http://www.geocities.com/mi_whplayers/7th_faqs/dow_faq.txt).

Left wing jAy
30-08-2008, 12:14
There was no DoW book during the 4th edition

Aye, my bad, just went back an edition too far - been out of the loop for a while :)

4th and 5th are for some reason the same in my mind. Hazy memories of youth.

Duke Georgal
30-08-2008, 13:09
Are leadblechers any good?

I use leadbelchers or ironguts in my Vampire and Dwarf armies to add some serous hitting power if needed.

Ogres are very good at adding features to armies that are lacking, but they are not great at what they do. So, I guess what I am saying is to use them to fill holes in your list, but don't count on them.

Duke Georgal
30-08-2008, 13:11

I really hope that is true.

I love bringing dogs of war as rare options.