PDA

View Full Version : rubric marines spell

slaanghoul
28-08-2008, 10:18
There is a thread going on about Thousand sons and their recruit process which I find interesting. This got me thinking deeper about their recruit process for making new rubric marines. The question is, is the spell cause only marines and armor to bonded and form a rubric marine or can it be any human and any armor? What I'm saying is can the spell cast on a human with just airtight wetsuit aka body armor 5+ save and form a weaker TS member? Or how about a marine with no powerarmor but in a body armor suit? Or a normal human with powerarmor?

I ask this because if the end process is dust, do the pre-rubric marine has to be a marine w/ geenseed and all it's add on process and training? Also, is the power armor or Termernator armor a must?

If the above is not a must, I can see TS making lots of rubric troops and rubric marines. Kind of cool too, if you ask me.

OOoooh cool idea for LaTD army list with TS rubric marines and guards/mutants as rubric air tight suits troops. I hope GW bring back LaTD army list .. .

Sikkukkut
28-08-2008, 13:29
I don't think the Rubric is a simple sort of thing that any jobbing sorcerer can run on their goons to toughen them up a bit. The description of the original spell talked about how it took ages for Ahriman, one of humanity's premier sorcerers, to research and design (and he had to steal knowledge from the Book of Magnus to do it), about how it took an entire cabal of the Thousand Sons' greatest mages to get the thing rolling, and about how it actually got out of control and raged around the Planet of the Sorcerors for an indeterminate time until Magnus had to step in to put a stop to it.

This is heavy stuff we're talking about here, messing with the raw energy of Chaos enchantment filtered through the most powerful and obsessively driven mortal brains. It isn't the kind of thing you can replicate easily. I'd be very disappointed to read accounts of Thousand Son leaders cheerfully zipping off mini-Rubric spells left and right as though it's nothing more than flicking a light switch - that would rip the guts out of what makes Chaos and its sorcerers interesting.

Also, bear in mind that the whole business of turning the Sons into semi-animate suits of armour was a side-effect. The intent of the Rubric was to render the Sons immune to the mutating effects of Chaos: Ahriman and his conspirators were freaked out by the way that their Legion was slowly drifting into mutation and craziness. The whole deal as they understood it was that they were going to master Chaos, and now they were watching Chaos master them.

Well, you could argue the spell did work, in a viciously backhanded sort of way, since the Rubric Marines are now indeed chengeless and will never mutate - just the sort of poisonous little prank Tzeentch likes to play, in my opinion. (Ahriman pronounced it a great success, but then he would, wouldn't he?) Anyway, my point is that since the original intent of the Rubric was to do something rather different, who knows what might happen if someone were to try casting it again? Maybe they'd get it right (although I very much doubt it) and end up with Marines who came out of the spell exactly as they went in. Maybe they'd get it even more horrifically wrong (much more likely) and simply destroy all their intended subjects and probably themselves too.

slaanghoul
28-08-2008, 15:20
I don't think the Rubric is a simple sort of thing that any jobbing sorcerer can run on their goons to toughen them up a bit. The description of the original spell talked about how it took ages for Ahriman, one of humanity's premier sorcerers, to research and design (and he had to steal knowledge from the Book of Magnus to do it), about how it took an entire cabal of the Thousand Sons' greatest mages to get the thing rolling, and about how it actually got out of control and raged around the Planet of the Sorcerors for an indeterminate time until Magnus had to step in to put a stop to it.

This is heavy stuff we're talking about here, messing with the raw energy of Chaos enchantment filtered through the most powerful and obsessively driven mortal brains. It isn't the kind of thing you can replicate easily. I'd be very disappointed to read accounts of Thousand Son leaders cheerfully zipping off mini-Rubric spells left and right as though it's nothing more than flicking a light switch - that would rip the guts out of what makes Chaos and its sorcerers interesting.

Also, bear in mind that the whole business of turning the Sons into semi-animate suits of armour was a side-effect. The intent of the Rubric was to render the Sons immune to the mutating effects of Chaos: Ahriman and his conspirators were freaked out by the way that their Legion was slowly drifting into mutation and craziness. The whole deal as they understood it was that they were going to master Chaos, and now they were watching Chaos master them.

Well, you could argue the spell did work, in a viciously backhanded sort of way, since the Rubric Marines are now indeed chengeless and will never mutate - just the sort of poisonous little prank Tzeentch likes to play, in my opinion. (Ahriman pronounced it a great success, but then he would, wouldn't he?) Anyway, my point is that since the original intent of the Rubric was to do something rather different, who knows what might happen if someone were to try casting it again? Maybe they'd get it right (although I very much doubt it) and end up with Marines who came out of the spell exactly as they went in. Maybe they'd get it even more horrifically wrong (much more likely) and simply destroy all their intended subjects and probably themselves too.

good point. I totally forgot about how tough it was to cast it. So the question is how do they replace their rubric losses in battle and such. Seems like TS rubric marines are an endanger species (can't make more, only less and less as the years go by)

Thanatos_elNyx
28-08-2008, 15:32
AFAIK they can repair damaged Thousand Sons armour (lots of duct tape and a spell to repossess the suit with the original hosts spirit) and send them on their merry way.

PondaNagura
28-08-2008, 15:37
they can re-summon the souls back into the armor, this has come up before, one of the space wolf novels has that happen.

it has been 10k years though, i wonder if their is some lesser degree of intentionally soulbinding armor with it's user; whether that user be an actual marine, some gen-modified mutants/vatgrown or even captured slaves, who would have no will of their own hence why the sorcerer is needed to direct them.

heretics bane
28-08-2008, 15:54
In the new 'dex there seen as automated drones and need the sorcerer to help them with basic stuff, abit like a light bulb and the sorcerer is the electricity.