PDA

View Full Version : Psshhh Looks like a fake to me

x-esiv-4c
28-08-2008, 16:33
So an inquisitor requests that you relinquish the use of your car to him. He flips you his badge or Inquisitorial rosette. Question is, how can you be sure it's real?
Not many regular people interact with members of the inquisition on a daily basis. Much like we don't really interact with KGB or CIA operatives but if someone flashed a CIA badge...would you really believe it? Is it a fake that someone is using so they can snatch your ride or intimidate you into doing something?

pookie
28-08-2008, 16:38
the thing is, would you really want to risk saying no to one?

Super Ninja
28-08-2008, 16:42
Would you risk it? Sure it might be a fake but what if its a real inquisitor? The risks would be pretty high for defying an actual inquisitor. Besides, it would kind of depend on how frequently forgeries of Inquisitorial Seals are in the Impeium. That would afect how skeptical an Imperial citizen would be if aproached by an Inquisitor. Also, Inquisitors usualy keep to themselves or interact with imperial officials and other people like that, so I suppose it would be alittle suspect if average Joe was confronted with an Inquisitor on any regular day.

Finnith
28-08-2008, 16:56
Chances are they guys who just asked for your car didnt do it in a polite civil manner. If a guy with a chainsaw sword/bolter pistol/combat armour asks you to do anything your probably gonna do it just to save your own skin.

If their a psycher the can pull a jedi mindtrick or just yell at you to give them your car while you collapse and crap yourself through shock. Or they just make your head explode.

Either way report it to your local arabites so that they can take matters further. If its a fake then they have a description and they can hunt them down and execute them. If the inquisitor didnt want to risk the authorities finding out then you would be dead before you even noticed the inquisitor so you cant lose.

You probably wouldnt want your car back anyway, the emperor only knows whats been happening in it.

djinn8
28-08-2008, 16:58
I wouldn't want to be the guy flashing a fake roset about! My guess is that the inqusition don't take kindly to people immitating them.

heretics bane
28-08-2008, 17:02
They dont, every rosset is also a small USB stick as well?

If he had a band of dodgey looking people with him,well dressed and flashing a good looking sword id hand it over.

Can you claim it back though?

Super Ninja
28-08-2008, 17:03
No you wouldnt djinn8. you will get executed, probably on the spot, for impersonating an Inquisitor, that's how serious it is.

Iuris
28-08-2008, 17:28
Actually, the Dark heresy offered a nice explanation. The rosette is taken very seriously by everyone because the Inquisition takes a KEEN interest in anyone who would try to pass off a fake.

Something like the Unseen university having a POND full of people who tried to sue the University :)

Somnicide
28-08-2008, 17:31
In one of the Ravenor books he runs into a problem when he flashes his rosette and they say, those things are a dime a dozen in the marketplace, so it is obviously an issue on some of the more lawless planets. Conversely, who wants to be executed? It is a tough call. I guess you just decide if you feel lucky...

DapperAnarchist
29-08-2008, 01:27
If you say no to a real inquisitor, you will die. If you say yes to fake inquisitor, you will die. If you say no to a fake Inquisitor, you will probably die (anyone with the guts to try that will probably just kill you). If you say yes to a real Inquisitor... you still have a good chance of dying, just cos you are now a loose end.

Seriously? Ravenor has that? Huh... Well, Abnetts books have contradicted "word of god" style background before, so I would have little trouble with ignoring that (Compare the Ordos Helican to the explanation of the organisation of the Inquisition in the Thorian Sourcebook. The ][ community response is that the Helican sector is pretty unusual, and dominated by its Inquisitor Lord to a highly unusual level. That is, it's nonsense and does not apply anywhere else.)

Feor
29-08-2008, 01:41
I think that came up when Ravenor was on a Rogue Trader world that was technically outside Imperial space, IIRC. It'd be like a CIA agent flying to Cuba, then trying to use his badge to comandeer a car. Senor Comandeerer would just laugh in his face then have him shot. (Then the CIA would have his body shot again for being stupid enough to flash his badge in Cuba :p)

In the imperium, though, I think someone on the street like that would probably go along with the "inquisitor" largely because, as dapper anarchist said, if he's an inquisitor and you say no, you're dead as a traitor. If he's a fake and you say no, you're dead because you've pissed off someone ballsy enough to impersonate an Inquisitor.

Chem-Dog
29-08-2008, 02:43
the thing is, would you really want to risk saying no to one?

QFT

I'm sure I read somewhere there was a whole branch of the Ordo Hereticus dedicated to hunting down people passing themselves off as Inquisitors.
You'd have to pick your mark carefully if you were posing as an Inquisitor, many people's first reaction would be to waste an "agent of the throne", the sort who wouldn't relish a visit from the Inquisition.

In the Eisenhorn/Ravenor books there are several instances where Inquisitorial authority is checked with what must amount to the Inquisition's local HQ, so although you could easily pull off street cons, you'd have trouble making any serious trouble with a fake rosette or even with a stolen one (assuming the owner isn't in a position to hunt you down, of course ;))

PondaNagura
29-08-2008, 03:15
i'd like to see what happens when a fake inquisitor tries to requisition a car from an actual inquisitor and/or undercover retinue member. how awkward would that be?

Feor
29-08-2008, 03:23
i'd like to see what happens when a fake inquisitor tries to requisition a car from an actual inquisitor and/or undercover retinue member. how awkward would that be?

Not terribly.

Con: "I'm commandeering this car," *flip*, "in the name of the emperor's holy..."
Inq: *Flip* "Sorry, beat ya to it." *BLAM BLAM WHOOSH!*

Khornies & milk
29-08-2008, 05:24
In one of the Ravenor books he runs into a problem when he flashes his rosette and they say, those things are a dime a dozen in the marketplace, so it is obviously an issue on some of the more lawless planets. Conversely, who wants to be executed? It is a tough call. I guess you just decide if you feel lucky...

"do you feel lucky punk....well do ya'?...sorry, it had to be said:angel:

Juicebox
29-08-2008, 05:30
Though the rosette may lack somewhat in the persuasion department, you'd be surprised how much a bolt pistol/power weapon/Mega-Death Fist of Ultimate Doom/etc. will make up for it. ;)

Slaaneshi Slave
29-08-2008, 07:23
Except the vast majority of Inquisitors look just like you and me. They don't go around wearing power fists and armour. Their job usually requires them to be incogneto. If they are doing something requiring them to operate overtly (i.e. needing big nintendo fists and tin man suits) they will probably have their own transport anyway.

GavT
29-08-2008, 07:59
Though the rosette may lack somewhat in the persuasion department, you'd be surprised how much a bolt pistol/power weapon/Mega-Death Fist of Ultimate Doom/etc. will make up for it. ;)

Which is why impersonating an Inquisitor is probably not all that common. Well, not if you want to take a car... The only point for such subterfuge would be to do something brute force cannot achieve on its own, usch as getting into the control room of the hive's plasma reactors, or the bedroom of the Imperial Commander. If it's dangerous enough to need to pretend to be an Inquisitor, it's already dangerous enough for the Inquisition to be unhappy about what you're doing.

GAV

CPT Commissar Ginn
29-08-2008, 09:03
Im sure the Inquisitor would be covered in skulls and candles as well as have a BOLT Pistol or worse on his hip...It would more or less be a polite car jacking ;)

Sojourner
29-08-2008, 09:16
Wouldn't the Inquisitor be vaguely comforted that the citizen is being vigilant and has the balls to question something suspicious? A non-hostile query on the seal's authenticity is no threat and doesn't constitute noncompliance. So, how do you go about convincing a sceptic when you still have your marbles?

Slaaneshi Slave
29-08-2008, 09:40
The problem is there are uncounted trillions of Imperial Citizens, and a much smaller finite number of Inquisitors. That makes the life of one annoying citizen worth a lot less than the 5 minutes of an Inquisitors time it may take to convince him he is an actual Inquisitor.

"How do I know you're actually an Inquisitor? That doesn't look like anything special to me."
"How do you know? Hey boys, deal with this guy for me, I require his hovercat (http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/128338636875781250hovercat.jpg)."

PondaNagura
29-08-2008, 11:52
well for the citizen as stated would be a lose-lose- situation...by being vigilant they are delaying the inquisitor's initial intentions. a radical-minded, in hindsight might later think that person to be devout, while a puritan would just be either be 'you were not devout enough by meddling with my business'...
granted the inquisition is often only mentioned in hushed voices by imperial aristocrasy or commanders, i kind of wonder if the basic citizenry would even know what to do, most likely it would b "hey, so you got a ring, what of it?"
where as straight-up carjacking leaves the inquisitor still silent, and it's just one more faceless crime amongst the millions transpired each day.

DapperAnarchist
29-08-2008, 12:10
Among Inquisitors, the method for checking on the reality of a rosette is either to examine the rosette itself (they contain very very high tech authorisation stuff) or to call one of the three Inquisitors who approved the handing out of that rosette. If they can't be found, the Inquisitor under suspicion is in trouble... But as it says in the front of the book, You Will Not Be Missed.

heretics bane
29-08-2008, 15:42
"How do I know you're actually an Inquisitor? That doesn't look like anything special to me."
"How do you know? Hey boys, deal with this guy for me, I require his hovercat (http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/128338636875781250hovercat.jpg)."

LMAO! lol hover cat.

Wouldnt it just be easier for him to kick said citizen aside and take the care, he might aswell if hes just going to end up shoting you.

Joe Kutz
29-08-2008, 17:34
The Thorian Sourcebook on the Inquisitor website sheds some light on the issue.

MvS
29-08-2008, 18:21
The thing is, this isn't such an issue when dealing with low level citizenry, but when dealinɡ with powerful people.

Hive-scum will either believe you or they won't. Either way they may well decide to try to kill you, because faced with an Inquisitor or not, intelligence and belligerence do not always walk hand in hand.

If a dishevelled guy runs up to an Arbite and demands his bike and shotgun while flashing an Inquisitorial Rosette, it may well be that that Arbite will expect more than a quick glance at the Rosette before he/she is satisfied. You think an Arbite wouldn't be suspiscious or that he/she fears death? I don't.

There was a pretty big discussion on Inquisitorial Rosettes here on Warseer a year or so back. Very good one as I remember. Might be worth looking it up.

ThousandPlateaus
29-08-2008, 19:36
You could try shooting him/her: if the shot stops dead in mid-air and the Rosarius fizzles in an unnatural way, then you run like buggery.

Faustburg
29-08-2008, 19:56
You could try shooting him/her: if the shot stops dead in mid-air and the Rosarius fizzles in an unnatural way, then you run like buggery.

The Rosarius worn by Imperial clergymen and Space Marine chaplains is not the same thing as the Inqusitorial Rossette here discussed...

ThousandPlateaus
29-08-2008, 20:06
Ok, my bad - I was just trying to be light-hearted anyway.

Lord Inquisitor
29-08-2008, 20:15
As mentioned the Rosette has top-level security codes programmed into it if you are able to check (I can't remember where, but I'm pretty sure at some point individuals shown a rosette have checked on the validity). There are also mention of holographic systems with an image of the Inquisitor in question. I think we can assume that the Inquisition will make them as hard to fabricate as possible - which only works, of course, if the person being shown the rosette is sufficiently knowledgable about the Inquisition as to be able to tell.

That said, even checking with the local Ordos is not necessarily going to help. There is no real Inquisitorial central command and they certainly won't know what's happening with any given Inquisitor. Individuals impersonating an Inquisitor may certainly occur - that's what you get for maintaining a shadowy organisation noone knows anything about! The best example I can think of is the fallen Inquisitor (okay, he was actually an Inquisitor at one point, but his rosette certainly shouldn't carry weight!) in Grey Knights seconding whole regiments of sisters and guard - and an ordinatus! - to fight against the Grey Knights...

Sekhmet
29-08-2008, 21:44
Well keep in mind two things:

The Inquisition is more of a myth than fact to 99.99999999999999999999999999999% of the Imperial population. That being said, unless they're a high-end official or served with one in combat, they wouldn't know the first thing about an Inquisitor. They most likely wouldn't even know what a rossette was, never mind what one looks like. Thus to the vast majority of people, you could say you're an Inquisitor, hold up any kind of badge of office you want (from a cane to a special hat to a necklace to a ring to funny colored pants), hold up a gun, and get what you want.

It doesn't matter if they have a badge or not, say they're an inquisitor or a chaos arch-heretic (which people also don't know about... chaos is a secret!), the gun is the thing that lets Inquisitors get what they want the majority of the time.

Juicebox
29-08-2008, 22:55
Now that I think about it, I don't know that the "conversation" would go so far as to actually shine the rosette. I imagine that an inquisitor in a hurry, specifically the sort of hurry that would require him/her to "requisition" a civilian's ride, would probably avoid any sort of dilly-dallying like reasonin' with the common folk. If anything, perhaps an inquisitor willing to waste so much time as to actually show you his/her rosette to convince you is a pretty good sign you aren't dealing with an inquisitor. :wtf:

My mind just exploded.

DantesInferno
29-08-2008, 23:51
The problems highlighted within this thread (widespread forgeries, difficulty getting people to believe you're part of an organisation they've never heard of, etc) are exactly why Inquisitors don't, as a rule, flash their Rosettes whenever they want or need something.

Suppose that our Inquisitor is investigating a planet secretly, without informing the local authorities of his presence (for instance, if he or she is investigating the authorities themselves). They need to get what they want without revealing themselves to the world at large. This is precisely why many Inquisitors set up their own networks of contacts and informers, often among the criminal underground. Instead of flashing a Rosette to requisition something, they'll far more often simply buy it or barter for it.

On the other hand, if the Inquisitor has announced their presence to the local Imperial Commander or Judge at the Arbites precinct, they'll be able to rely on the locals to provide them with what they need.

Iracundus
29-08-2008, 23:51
The thing is even with planetary government authorities it would be difficult to immediately verify an Inquisitor's status quickly unless the planet in question has a large Imperial presence. Remember most planets in the Imperium don't have regular contact with Imperium wide institutions on a regular basis aside from tithes. An Astropathic message won't come back immediately and there is no equivalent of an Internet for the Imperium as a whole. If you waylay the person, and he turns out to be an Inquisitor then you're in trouble for wasting his time. If you give him what he wants (which may in some cases involve large amounts of money, resources, or military forces) then you could be guilty of misappropriating Imperial resources if the identity check reveals him to be false.

Sekhmet
30-08-2008, 00:15
If you waylay the person, and he turns out to be an Inquisitor then you're in trouble for wasting his time. If you give him what he wants (which may in some cases involve large amounts of money, resources, or military forces) then you could be guilty of misappropriating Imperial resources if the identity check reveals him to be false.

Inquisitors know this, so they won't put you in that kind of position where you just don't know what to do, and thus could choose wrong. They'd made the choice easy - "give me the vehicle or die."

DantesInferno
30-08-2008, 00:30
The thing is even with planetary government authorities it would be difficult to immediately verify an Inquisitor's status quickly unless the planet in question has a large Imperial presence. Remember most planets in the Imperium don't have regular contact with Imperium wide institutions on a regular basis aside from tithes. An Astropathic message won't come back immediately and there is no equivalent of an Internet for the Imperium as a whole. If you waylay the person, and he turns out to be an Inquisitor then you're in trouble for wasting his time. If you give him what he wants (which may in some cases involve large amounts of money, resources, or military forces) then you could be guilty of misappropriating Imperial resources if the identity check reveals him to be false.

Well, as others have said before, the Inquisitorial Seals themselves contain encoded information which can be used to identify the bearer as an Inquisitor proper, and Imperial Commanders and other high-ranking officials are likely given the training and equipment to be able to recognise a legitimate Inquisitorial Seal when it's presented to them. I doubt it would require Astropathic communication every time an Inquisitor arrives in a system in an official capacity: it's much more likely that there are lists of Inquisitors to be added/removed from the database which are transmitted to the regional officials every so often. In any case, this is what the Thorian Sourcebook has to say on the topic (and I'm surprised it hasn't been quoted in the thread before).

To ameliorate this state of affairs, all Inquisitors carry with them an Inquisitorial Seal. This may be a pendant, signet ring, actual seal or some other accoutrement, and is marked with a variation of the symbol of the Inquisition. This seal is proof positive that the Inquisitor carries with him the full authority of the Emperor. Should anyone doubt the veracity of a seal, they will normally contain other encoded information that will prove the identity of the bearer, utilising technologies seldom seen outside the forge worlds of the Adeptus Mechanicus.

Although traitors and other nefarious individuals have claimed Inquisitorial status to further their own ends, such is the fervour with which the Inquisition hunts down these rogues, and the well-communicated manner of their agonising deaths, that it is a brave man or woman who dares such a thing. The absolute trust and authority with which the Inquisition must operate cannot be threatened and Inquisitors will go to any lengths to expose a fraud and bring them to justice.

Inquisitors know this, so they won't put you in that kind of position where you just don't know what to do, and thus could choose wrong. They'd made the choice easy - "give me the vehicle or die."

Iracundus and I were discussing the specific situation in which an Inquisitor presents him/herself to a local Imperial high-ranking official (most commonly, the Imperial Commander). In such a case, the Inquisitors are likely to employ a bit more diplomacy than that (at least until they get what they want, of course).

In other cases where they're operating undercover outside the auspices of the local authorities, I'd imagine that they'd be still, as a rule, be rather reluctant to go around threatening people with death in order to take things that they need: if nothing else, it's likely to bring them unwanted attention which they could easily avoid by simply buying or covertly stealing the thing in question.

Feor
30-08-2008, 01:01
Dante makes a good point, chances are your average imperial world has databases on most of the inquisitors known to be operating in their sector and the next sector or so over. and could probably quickly check in with the central sector Inquisitorial Stronghold to confirm the identity of any inquisitor in the current segmentum. I imagine the only time you might have trouble is if you chased someone from say, McCragge to Cadia without checking in on your way, that might cause problems.

heretics bane
30-08-2008, 10:59
Well keep in mind two things:

The Inquisition is more of a myth than fact to 99.99999999999999999999999999999% of the Imperial population

Im sure their not:confused: whole planets s*** themselves when they hear an inquisitor is in coming or is knocking about.

So id be under the impression they would be a pretty big fact, ecpecially if black ships regularly make there way past a planet.

Feor
30-08-2008, 12:10
This is true, inquisitors and chaos are known of in the Imperium, but only in the most general senses. People know Chaos is out there, waiting to eat their souls if they fail to be pious enough to the Emperor, they don't know who Khorne is or what the Warp is neccissarily, just that Chaos is out there. Likewise, people know the inquisition is out there, and if you cross them, or if they even think you crossed them, they'll dissappear you faster than the worst crimelord on Necromunda. I don't know if your average citizen would recognize a rosette if it was flashed in their faces, but if someone claimed to be an inquisitor, they might not even need to see a rosette to go along with him.

Also, while initially said in jest, and the details were a little off ThousandPlateaus actually makes a valid point, if you shoot him, Inquisitors can usually afford to keep refractor fields, convertion fields, or something similar about their person, so if you shot him, and it fizzled mid air, you can be fairly certain you've hot the wrong man. :p

Joe Kutz
30-08-2008, 19:51
Dante makes a good point, chances are your average imperial world has databases on most of the inquisitors known to be operating in their sector and the next sector or so over. and could probably quickly check in with the central sector Inquisitorial Stronghold to confirm the identity of any inquisitor in the current segmentum. I imagine the only time you might have trouble is if you chased someone from say, McCragge to Cadia without checking in on your way, that might cause problems.

I doubt that. Having that knowledge readily available would severly limit and put Inquisitors at risk. Remember, although 40K largely displays them as generals leading large assaults on the table top - there is a lot more shadow boxing that goes on before it gets to that point. If a planetary governor could simply access a database to determine how many Inquisitors are in his area, and who they are...should he fall to Chaos (or just heretical leanings) the job of the Inquisitor would become nearly impossible to do...i.e. - rooting out the mutants, heretics and daemons (and everything else that they move against).

If anything, the verification would be something more like a set of pass keys which are cycled through and used at various times. I doubt it would even reveal the Inquisitors name or other information about them - since they often operate undercover and in disguise.

Likewise, people know the inquisition is out there, and if you cross them, or if they even think you crossed them, they'll dissappear you faster than the worst crimelord on Necromunda. I don't know if your average citizen would recognize a rosette if it was flashed in their faces, but if someone claimed to be an inquisitor, they might not even need to see a rosette to go along with him.

Due to the all pervasive nature of the Imperial Creed - I would think that most civilized planets would ensure that all citizens are familiar with the rosette and what it means. Think of it like the 10 commandments which are taught at the lowest levels of religious institutions in our world. They might never see one in person, but I would think that the description is driven in (or even posters plastered to the walls on hive planets).

As far as contact goes - remember the Black Ships. While it is fair to say that their aren't a whole lot of inquisitors out there compared to the population at large, most people will likely know someone who knows someone who was taken away in a Black Ship.

There may well even be Inquisitorial offices (staffed by acolytes or other lower level Inquisition members) in the major hive cities where you can snitch on your neighbor if you think he is a mutant or psyker. With trillions of people under their watchful eye, a 40K version of Chaos Stoppers would be probable.

In such a case, the Inquisitors are likely to employ a bit more diplomacy than that (at least until they get what they want, of course).

Don't have the book in front of me right now, but in the Daemonhunters handbook - there is a bit of onesided discourse between an Inquisitor and an Imperial Commander. Basically he says see this big ******* hammer, it has killed hundreds of daemons and if you don't order your men to attack it won't be daemon blood that stains it today.

That said, I don't think the Inquisitor will really tippy toe around on the issue. Once he has verified that he is an Inquisitor (to his own satisfaction...not necessarily to that of the person he is talking to), the Inquisitor will be more likely to resort to Inquisitorial justice as opposed to diplomacy.

Sojourner
30-08-2008, 19:58
In conclusion, saying "I don't believe you're a real Inquisitor" ranks right up there with other Worst Phrases Ever such as "Witchcraft is just a bit of fun, perfectly harmless" and "Those pieces of junk will burn up in the atmosphere".

][nquist0r
30-08-2008, 22:54
I think if a Inquisitor ever took the time to show a lowly citizen his rosette ring, it would be because it was coincidently on the finger beside his micro needler/flamer/poison dart ring. A bolter would be a little too obvious for an Inquisitor who was working IMHO.

Feor
31-08-2008, 01:29
I think if a Inquisitor ever took the time to show a lowly citizen his rosette ring, it would be because it was coincidently on the finger beside his micro needler/flamer/poison dart ring. A bolter would be a little too obvious for an Inquisitor who was working IMHO.

Depends on the Inquisitor. Some inquisitors prefer to sneak around dressed up as a regular citizen with hidden weapons. Some would prefer to walk around in powered armour with a pair of psycannons on their backs and rosettes on every spare surface. Then there's the happy medium, the ones who like to walk around dressed as a normal person while their acolyte wears a giant suit of powered armour (kiddingly refered to as "the bullet magnet") :p

DapperAnarchist
31-08-2008, 17:56
Other stupid phrases - surely, as each shot is inaccurate, those Orks over there can never hits us.... Ere, boyz, just fire lots more!

Inquisitors will nearly always look a little out of place - being offworlders, old, experienced beyond all citizens, etc. But they usually won't call attention to that until useful to.

Sekhmet
31-08-2008, 19:12
I doubt that. Having that knowledge readily available would severly limit and put Inquisitors at risk. Remember, although 40K largely displays them as generals leading large assaults on the table top - there is a lot more shadow boxing that goes on before it gets to that point. If a planetary governor could simply access a database to determine how many Inquisitors are in his area, and who they are...should he fall to Chaos (or just heretical leanings) the job of the Inquisitor would become nearly impossible to do...i.e. - rooting out the mutants, heretics and daemons (and everything else that they move against).

100% agree, but that may not stop a commander from contacting another commander and sharing names... although that'd probably be heretical. But it could happen.

Due to the all pervasive nature of the Imperial Creed - I would think that most civilized planets would ensure that all citizens are familiar with the rosette and what it means.

Not at all. They'd be familiar with Space Marines (which are already mythic angels of death / demi-gods), Sororitas (not secret at all), the Guard, the Navy, probably even Rogue Traders. But people only know that Inquisitors exist and they work for the betterment of humanity, like every other Imperial citizen. They don't know the first thing about how Inquisitors operate. They're not like Arbites, they're not a police force.

Think of it like the 10 commandments which are taught at the lowest levels of religious institutions in our world. They might never see one in person, but I would think that the description is driven in (or even posters plastered to the walls on hive planets).

So much wrong with this statement it hurts. 10 commandments are familiar to basically the three largest religions, and possibly people who live in countries that force those religions upon the people (like most Middle East countries and arguably the United States), but it's a far stretch to think the 10 commandments are universal throughout the world.

Back mostly on topic - the Inquisition is NOT the main driving force for protection of the Imperium, they're the shadow branch. It'd be the Arbites, the Guard and Marines who are plastered on walls as propaganda.

As far as contact goes - remember the Black Ships. While it is fair to say that their aren't a whole lot of inquisitors out there compared to the population at large, most people will likely know someone who knows someone who was taken away in a Black Ship.

Black Ships are mysterious in what they do. They're controlled by the Inquisition, but they're used by the Adeptus Astra Telepathica, Navigators, Sisters, and other organizations as well. They're definitely not crewed by an Inquisitor. The Black Ships themselves would definitely be known to most of the people, but besides their name and the fact that they're a ship that takes people away, not much is known. Hell, even us as 3rd party observers don't REALLY know what they do besides that they tend to collect psykers.

There may well even be Inquisitorial offices (staffed by acolytes or other lower level Inquisition members) in the major hive cities where you can snitch on your neighbor if you think he is a mutant or psyker. With trillions of people under their watchful eye, a 40K version of Chaos Stoppers would be probable.

There would never be an Inquisitorial office for the public. Never. Again, no one knows what Chaos is. Most Space Marines don't know what Chaos really is. As for mutants or psykers, again they can visit the local Sororitas temple or Arbites precinct to deal with such things.

Don't have the book in front of me right now, but in the Daemonhunters handbook - there is a bit of onesided discourse between an Inquisitor and an Imperial Commander. Basically he says see this big ******* hammer, it has killed hundreds of daemons and if you don't order your men to attack it won't be daemon blood that stains it today.

That said, I don't think the Inquisitor will really tippy toe around on the issue. Once he has verified that he is an Inquisitor (to his own satisfaction...not necessarily to that of the person he is talking to), the Inquisitor will be more likely to resort to Inquisitorial justice as opposed to diplomacy.
As others have said, some would use diplomacy most of the time, others would use force and intimidation most of the time, but most would use a mixture depending on the situation. If I were an Inquisitor in power armor with a psycannon and daemon hammer and had a retinue of Acolytes in power armor and gun servitors with plasma cannons, and I used a Land Raider for my personal limo, I could pretty much demand anything. My seal would be painted on the assault ramp of my tank as the last thing you see.

But if I were, say, a fairly small, fairly physically weak inquisitor who was undercover without any retinue/entourage and limited myself to basically a laspistol and hidden weapons, I couldn't demand something at gunpoint. If I told a Commander "Give me 10,000 of your finest troops," he'd laugh. If I threatened him with a gun, his guards would kill me. The choice is simple - face the wrath of your Commander right now, or maybe face Inquisitorial wrath months or years later... if the Inquisition ever finds out... if they even knew I was here in the first place... if I was a real Inquisitor.

Cavalier
01-09-2008, 13:19
One little clarification: The CIA (used as an example early in this thread) are prohibited from conducting operations within the United States by Federal law. So if someone flashed me a CIA badge and tried to tell me what to do, I'd either call the cops or go get my gun, depending on the situation. He is either a) impersonating a federal agent, which is a crime, or b) is an actual CIA agent and is therefore acting well outside of the law.

Now, on topic, how people respond to an inquisitor will depend entirely upon the inquisitor, the planet he's on, and the people there. A lot of it probably has to do with presence and force of personality, as well as the general fearful nature of people in the Imperium. On many worlds, anyone who approaches with a badge of any kind can probably get whatever he wants from a cowed populace. This isn't the US or Britain, where people have notions that they're important or have "rights". This is the Imperium! Big Brother is watching you! You approach a car with a badge and the guy probably curls up in a ball and cries. On worlds where the population is not so emotionally broken, force of personality still counts for a lot. An inquisitor should be good at keeping people from asking those sorts of questions anyway. He'd be a pretty skilled con man if he wanted to be. Just keep yelling and acting like you own the place, make vague threats, and you'll go far.

I think relying on weapons or official seals would be a last resort. On many worlds, flashing a bolt pistol will get you dead, especially if there's something on that planet that deserves the Inquisition's attention. You might only find out that your enemies on this planet are better armed -- you point a bolt pistol at some guy and his buddy jams a black market harlequin's kiss into your neck, it's all over. Or it could be even worse. The inquisitor is gonna be awfully upset when he blows the head off of a random citizen who wouldn't let him bum a smoke and the guy's head reforms.

Gdolkin
01-09-2008, 14:56
"I am an Inquisitor of the God-Emperor's Most Holy Ordos of the Inquisition! I hereby requisition your spare change, for I need a grox-burger for sustenance to succesfully prosecute the heretics! Got a light? Emperor bless and keep you, citizen!"

Lord Zarkov
01-09-2008, 21:31
For high level personell the rosette has a number of features to prove it's authenticity: Firstly it can produce a holographic projection of the Inquisitor with hit name, age, place of birth, position, etc; and secondly it is packed full of 'magenta level softwear' which can overide pretty much any electronic or computer control systems in the Imperium, opening doors, locks, hacking into computer mainfraims, loging into secure databases, etc. This is probably the best way to test if it's real as there would be lots of things that it'll be pretty much the only thing that can acess/unlock them.

On Inquisitorial Offices, most Sector Capitals have a 'Palace on the Inquisiton' which contains shareable reasorces such as libraries, astropaths, studies, tourture and prison facilities, chapels, courts, etc. The general populous have aboslouty no idea what goes on inside of course beyond it's name, but they're delibratly designed to be large, opressive, buildings to remind the citizens that the Inquisition is always watching and to keep them in line.

Although your average citizen will ahve no idea of even the existance of the individual Ordos their idea of the kind of things the Inquisition deals with will include most of Hereticus' remit and IMO they'll have heard the kind of things in the statements at the front of the Inquisitor Rulebook (Except for the last one (EYHBTIAL) of course)