PDA

View Full Version : 1500 point Ogre Kingdoms army

dal9ll
29-08-2008, 00:27
Hello everyone,

This is a brand new Ogre list and I have none of the models yet so nothing is set in stone. Here is the list:

LORD:
1 Tyrant w/ Luck-Gnoblar, Siegebreaker, Gut Maw, brace of pistols, heavy armour
(283)
CORE:
6 Ogre Bulls w/ Ironfists, Bellower, Standard, Crusher
(295)
CORE:
4 Ironguts w/ Bellower, Standard, Gutlord, Cannibal Totem
(267)
CORE:
24 Gnoblar Fighters w/ Groinbiter
(50)
(50)
SPECIAL:
4 Leadbelchers
(220)
SPECIAL:
4 Yhetees
(260)
RARE:
1 Gorger
(75)

TOTAL: 1500 points

Strategies:
The two Gnoblar units accompany the Bull unit and the Ironguts units respectively, providing them with the much needed unit strength for combat resolution. Their Sharp Stuff will also soften up the enemy unit a bit before theyre charged by the Ogres. The turn after shooting with them, the Leadbelcher unit can choose to flee from enemy charges, then reload when they Rally, then Stand and Shoot when charged the next turn. They will most likely be used to soften up heavily armoured opponents because they are Armour-Piercing. The Yhetees are extremely fast and maneuverable so they can take on many responsibilities on the battlefield, ranging from attacking units hidden in hard cover, or artillery on seemingly unreachable terrain, executing rear charges where possible, and pursuing cavalry/fast units, etc. The Gorger plays a really fun role too, essentially 'Deep Striking' onto the battlefield and taking care of artillery units, Wizards, characters, or rear-charging an enemy unit. For the Tyrant, he works well at smashing buildings and war machines with his Siegebreaker and would be really fun to use for making challenges because of his Gut Maw. He will most likely accompany either the Bull unit or the Ironguts unit, depending on the enemies' deployment, etc.

Well, what does everyone think? Like I said, I just got the Army Book and Ive never actually played with Ogres before but I have done my homework on strategies, etc. and have a good amount of experience under my belt.

cheers!

Necromancer2
29-08-2008, 14:50
I like the list.. seems pretty balanced. The Yetees would be my only concern. Alot of people don't use them for some reason. Might be worth droping to get 4 bulls or something. Also Split the LB's into 2 units of 2.

ivrg
29-08-2008, 15:09
Tyrant is not legal in a list that is below 2000 points. Yetees should be 3 man strong. And use 2 units of 3 bulls, at lkeast that what i would do.

dal9ll
29-08-2008, 20:49
Thanks for the replies.

If I cant use a Tyrant at the 1500 point level, does that mean I have to take a Bruiser instead? Also, What are everyone's thoughts on Butchers? I'd love to try out some of that Gut Magic.

Why dont people play Yhetees? Theyre super fast and killy, or at least I thought.

If I change the Bull unit to two of 3 each, wont I lose some strength on the Bull Charge and also lower my combat resolution a lot? I thought that was already a big weakness of Ogres...

Nicha11
29-08-2008, 23:12
Thanks for the replies.

If I cant use a Tyrant at the 1500 point level, does that mean I have to take a Bruiser instead? Also, What are everyone's thoughts on Butchers? I'd love to try out some of that Gut Magic.

Why dont people play Yhetees? Theyre super fast and killy, or at least I thought.

If I change the Bull unit to two of 3 each, wont I lose some strength on the Bull Charge and also lower my combat resolution a lot? I thought that was already a big weakness of Ogres...

To answer your questions: yse a bruiser must be generel.
Butcher are very good and are fine supporting units.
People don't play yhetees because the models look awful.
And i don't know about the third.

Also if you are gonna drop the yhetees take some more leadbelchers or a hunter, both scare the bejeezus out of inexperienced opponents.

dal9ll
03-09-2008, 01:18
This is a new-and-improved list I made after much deliberation:

HERO:
1 Bruiser w/ brace of pistols, heavy armour, Luck-Gnoblar, Siegebreaker
(181)

HERO:
1 Butcher w/ Bloodcleaver, Dispell Scroll, Luck-Gnoblar
(205)

CORE:
4 Ironguts w/ standard, Bull Standard
(232)

CORE:
4 Ironguts w/ standard, Rune Maw
(232)

CORE:
3 Bulls w/ Ironfists, Standard, Bellower
(150)

CORE:
3 Bulls w/ Ironfists, Standard, Bellower
(150)

CORE:
(50)

CORE:
(50)

SPECIAL:
4 Leadbelchers w/ Bellower, Thunderfist
(250)

TOTAL: 1500 points

I decided to drop the Yhettes and the Gorger so that I could get in another unit of Ironguts and of course a Butcher. The characters accompany either the Ironguts or the Bulls and the Gnoblars accompany the units without characters joined in them to get that Rank Bonus, Outnumber Bonus, Flank charge, etc. As far as the Leadbelchers go, read the stratagy for them above.

Any comments are much appreciated!

dal9ll
12-09-2008, 20:47
<Shameless bump>

Im curious why there are so few Ogre Kingdoms threads!

Kalec
12-09-2008, 21:03
Be careful when using gnoblars. They add static CR, but give up just as much dynamic CR. Against units of spearmen, or pretty much anything with higher initiative then them, they effectively guarantee that you will lose combat if the enemy has troops to swing back with. This is especially punishing against HE, but any other elite infantry block will be glad that you brought your gnoblars in for a visit.

dal9ll
12-09-2008, 21:17
Kalec:

Can you be more clear when you say 'static' and 'dynamic' CR? And what do you mean Gnoblars auto-lose to spearmen?

In your experience, what is the best way to use Gnoblars?

Thanks again

Kalec
12-09-2008, 21:32
Static CR: Combat resolution that you get without doing anything. Ranks, standards, and such are all static CR.
Dynamic CR: Combat resolution from causing wounds.

Ogres are good at scoring CR by causing wounds. Gnoblars are good at giving you CR with ranks, and possibly outnumber. However, gnoblars are very easy to kill with even your basic S3 attack, so spearmen will kill a lot of them, and your ogres are unlikely to kill enough to let you win combat, because your opponent will be scoring so many wounds against the gnoblars. This is less of an issue if the gnoblars can hit the enemy on a very narrow flank, minimizing the amount of attacks they will receive while preserving their rank bonus, but this will not happen very often.

Gnoblars are good as missile screens for the bulls and ironguts. They don't panic the ogres, and are very inexpensive ablative wounds. If ignored, they could break missile units as poorly suited for combat as they are, and anything that keeps your ogres from getting shot is good.

Little Aaad
12-09-2008, 22:48
Gnoblars are also brilliant at winning deployment. Ie, 4 units worth 200 points means my DE have to put down like 800 points on the board. so you can see where most of my army is going by just pputting the crappy stuff down. Also, they make brilliant screens!

narrativium
13-09-2008, 00:24
4 100-strong units? interesting...

Kalec
13-09-2008, 05:25
He meant 4 units costing 200 points total.

narrativium
13-09-2008, 10:27
Did he? Aww... I was just thinking how impressive four hundred Gnoblars would be on the tabletop.

dal9ll
15-09-2008, 01:08
Thanks for all the replies.

Does anyone have any more comments on the list or the magic items?

pkain762
22-09-2008, 07:17
my opinion, bring as many butchers as you can.... gut magic is what saves ogres.... the regen saves plus the fact that you can scare units off of the table

i have been using braingobbler a lot lately, especially against mortals of chaos, skaven, O&G, etc

skullmantle and brahmir statue are good for that..... and me personally i always take tenderiser w/my bruiser or tyrant, then i give the seigbreaker to a butcher

but yeah take as many butchers as you can, we don't have any armour so gut magic is our only armour.

kain

me personally, i am a fan of bringing skrag the slaughtermaster, because then you don't have to take a tyrant, then gorgers count as a special choice instead of rare