PDA

View Full Version : 2000 points Skaven, friendly

dal9ll
29-08-2008, 21:58
Here is an old Skaven army of mine. Its not perfect but its got some fun elements. I like going into CC with the Rat Swarms, Giant Rats, etc. (aka expendable units) then shooting the crap out of them with Warp-Lightning, Jezzials, Grey Seer Magic, Warpfire Throwers, and Ratling Guns. Here's the list:

LORD:
Grey Seer w/ Screaming Bell, Warp Scroll, Warpstone Amulet
(490)
HERO:
Chieftan w/ light armour, Warplock Pistol, Blade of Black Fury, Giant Spider mount
(137)
HERO:
Warlock Engineer w/ Warplock Pistol, Storm Daemon
(80)
CORE:
20 Clanrats w/ spears, full command, Warpfire Thrower
(215)
CORE:
20 Clanrats w/ spears, full command, Warpfire Thrower
(215)
CORE:
20 Clanrats w/ full command, Ratling Gun
(185)
CORE:
9 Night Runners w/ extra hand weapons, throwing stars
(81)
CORE:
10 Night Runners w/ extra hand weapons, throwing stars
(90)
CORE:
12 Giant Rats, 2 Packmasters
(60)
CORE:
5 Rat Swarms
(225)
SPECIAL:
6 Jezzials
(120)
RARE:
1 Warp-Lightning Cannon
(100)

TOTAL: 1998 points

I know that nowadays you cant have a Giant Spider mount for a character, but the model was lovingly converted back when all army books had the monster section in the back. I just use it in friendly matches, using the stats and points cost taken from the most recent Orc & Goblins book. Anyway, feedback is much appreciated!

cheers!

dal9ll
31-08-2008, 17:33
<bump>

No Skaven players out there care to comment?

zoodog
31-08-2008, 22:36
Since when could a cheif get a giant spider mount? (O awhile ago) I also believe only the warlord can get a pistol. I assume you gave the warlock Engineer some of the upgrades so he can cast? Also I never put the warp-stone amulet on someone I dont expect to die in the corse of the game anyway, a bad roll could turn a victory into a loss.

Seems like maybe to many weapon teams now that they get shot, swarms also arnt what they used to be. Your night runners seem horribly expensive, only do one upgrade or the other, but as you have some special slots some tunnelers wouldn't hurt.

Your clan rat units seem small and you have a complete lack of slaves. I would try an bulk up at least the unit pushing the bell.

Overall I'd say you suffer from the same issues as I do in not yet having enough models for a true 2k list, which should really be in the 200+ model count.

Hvidponi
01-09-2008, 08:58
I wouldn't take the warpstone amulet on a grey seer... You can't buy pistol to a chieftain, but you can buy heavy armour, and he should have that, as well as an enchanted shield and Desolate Blade instead of the other blade, S4 just doesn't do anyting now adays... Warlock Engineer needs upgrades in order to cast spells... And I think you should use all your hero slots, so take another chieftain, he cheap an effective...
I never buy less than 25 clanrats, and nobody ever buy spears, cause they are worse than hand weapons and cost more... Ratling guns are better than warpfire throwers, because the warpfire is very hard to get a descent hit with...Your night runners are too expensive, and the swarms are really useless.. Also I would split the jezzails into 2 teams...

dal9ll
02-09-2008, 18:06
Thanks for the feedback.

How are spears worse than hand weapons? I thought spears allowed more models to attack?

Also, the Storm Daemon allows the Warlock Engineer to play the weaker Warp-Lightning spell as a Bound spell, no Power Dice required. Read the Magic Items section.

And I know that its illegal to give a Chieftan a pistol and a Giant Spider but the model has it (a Skaven Mordheim model) and it is a 'friendly' list.

Here is my revised list. I dropped the Rat Swarms and the Screaming Bell in favor of another Engineer and a lot more Rats.

LORD:
1 Grey Seer w/ Warp Scroll
(265)
HERO:
1 Chieftain w/ Warplock Pistol, Blade of Black Fury, Enchanted Shield, heavy armour, giant spider mount
(147)
HERO:
1 Warlock Engineer w/ Warplock pistol, Storm Daemon
(80)
HERO:
1 Warlock Engineer w/ Warplock pistol, Storm Daemon
(80)
CORE:
40 Clanrats w/ spears, command, Warpfire Thrower
(340)
CORE:
40 Clanrats w/ spears, command, Ratling Gun
(325)
CORE:
19 Slaves w/ spears, musician, Pawleader
(69)
CORE:
19 Slaves w/ musician, Pawleader
(50)
CORE:
12 Giant Rats, 2 Packmasters
(60)
CORE:
10 Nightrunners w/ extra hand weapons
(70)
CORE:
10 Nightrunners w/ throwing stars
(70)
SPECIAL:
20 Plague Monks w/ extra hand weapons, command, Banner of Burning Hatred
(210)
SPECIAL:
3 Jezzials
(60)
SPECIAL:
3 Jezzials
(60)
RARE:
1 Warp-Lightning Cannon
(100)

TOTAL: 1986 points

cheers

Hvidponi
02-09-2008, 20:22
I know about the Storm Deamon, but the warlock a kind of pointless without the Warp-Blades, which allows him to use his 1 power dice to cast Warp Lightning... Besides that he can have Upgraded Warp-Energy Condenser, that give him the ability to cast the spell with up to 3 dice, and the Supercharged Warp-Power Accumulator that gives and extra power dice... Thats just makes alot more sense to take at least the Warp-Blades and the Accumulator... Read about in the armour section in your rulebook at page 32...
Spears gives you more "useless" attack, but hand weapons combined with a shield gives you +1 armour save, and that is alot better... BRB p 56...
I personally think 25-30 is the optimal size for clanrats, but 40 is kind of awesome...
The minimum size of slaves 20... And you can't have 2 of the same magical items, so only one Storm Deamon...

dal9ll
02-09-2008, 23:41
What would you suggest for equipping an Engineer? I'll throw in the extra couple Slaves to make it legal.

Im especially excited to try out this Plague Monk unit though. Frenzy, Hatred, AND the extra weapons should be pretty effective I think...

Thanks Hvidponi.

Hvidponi
03-09-2008, 12:37
Plauge monks are fine... A bit too expensive but I never leave home without them... I Usually equip my Engineers like this;
Warlock Engineer, Warplock Pistol, Warp-Blades, Upgraded Warp-Energy Condenser, Supercharged Warp-Power Accumulator, Storm Deamon, Warpstone Charm.
Warlock Enigneer, Warplock Pistol, Warp-Blades, Upgraded Warp-Energy Condenser, Supercharged Warp-Power Accumulator, 2 Dispel Scrolls (or 1 Scroll and 1 Eye of the Horned Rat, but I usually put the Eye on the Grey Seer)...

Drop a couple of clanrats from each unit and there should be enough pts for it... You can drop the Upgraded Warp-Energy Condenser and the Warpstone Charm if they are too expensive for you...

Ohh... And drop thoose spears! Unless you got them on the models, cause then I understand if you wanna use them... But since 7th ed, hand weapons have been way too good...

dal9ll
09-09-2008, 17:32
Ive altered my list once more, for the better I believe. Here it is (tactics at the bottom):

LORD:
1 Grey Seer w/ Warp Scroll
(265)
HERO:
1 Warlock Engineer w/ Warp Blades, warp-energy condenser, super-charged warp power accumulator
(85)
HERO:
1 Warlock Engineer w/ Warp Blades, warp-energy condenser, super-charged warp power accumulator
(85)
CORE:
29 Clanrats w/ spears, command, warpfire thrower
(274)
CORE:
29 Clanrats w/ spears, command, Ratling Gun
(259)
CORE:
24 Giant Rats
4 Packmasters
(120)
CORE:
4 Rat Swarms
(180)
CORE:
20 Skavenslaves
(40)
CORE:
10 Nightrunners w/ throwing stars
(70)
CORE:
10 Nightrunners w/ extra hand weapons
(70)
SPECIAL:
7 Warplock Jezzials
(140)
SPECIAL:
20 Plague Monks w/ extra hand weapons, command, Banner of Burning Hatred
(210)
RARE:
1 Warp-Lightning Cannon
(100)
RARE:
6 Plague-Censer Bearers
(102)

Total: 2000 points

This army's tactics revolve around shooting/electrocuting the crap out of my opponent, making the best possible uses of my units, and being prepared for as many different attempts by my enemy to find a proverbial 'chink in the (Warpstone) armour'.

The Clanrat, Giant Rat, and Plaguemonk units function as the army's backbone units. The Clanrat units are accompanied by a Warlock Engineer each, and of course wield weapon teams for more shootiness and to join the Engineers in softening up the unit(s) the Clanrats will engage. And FYI, they have spears ONLY because I modelled them before spears became sub-par. The Plaguemonks are the sharp-elbowed fiends that take on lightly/un-armoured, S3 units, accompanied by the Censer-Bearers, who prevent flank charges to the monks and prevent units trying to draw the Plague Monks into combat with their Frenzy, as well as take on heavily-armoured units. The Giant Rats function similarly to the Clanrats but substitute firepower for speed and maneuverability.

The Night Runners, Rat Swarms, and Skavenslaves are the 'utility' units of the army. Night Runners work great for preventing flank charges and charge/march blocking. Plus they and the Rat Swarms' Skirmishers status gives them the much-needed 360 degree line-of-sight as to prevent flying monsters/scouts from wrecking havoc behind my formation on my artillery, rear charges, etc. The main purpose of the Slaves is to engage scary enemy units while my artillery, Warp-Lightning, other magic zaps the crap out of both the Slaves and their opposing unit.

The Jezzials and Warp-Lightning Cannon just sit in back in cover or on a hill and shoot stuff, obviously.

I'd really love some more feedback on the list, and its tactics. The Plague-Censer Bearers are a new and untested addition and I would love to hear some advice on them. This army is by no means meant to be a swarm/hoarde army. I figure what the army lacks in vast numbers of expendable units it makes up for in vicious firepower and magic.

Thanks to any replies!!