PDA

View Full Version : Necronmancy....Renegade SM Techno Heretics?

Kmaz
30-08-2008, 00:55
Hello, I have recently come back into the hobby and after thinking I was going to try my hand at fantasy, I was sucked into the 40k void. Looking through my old stuff I found 1 box of unfinished tactical marines and 1 box of unfinished Necron warriors.

I had tried to find a single army to stick to but was unable to find a cost effective way of doing what I wanted. I have stumbled upon a new idea and it goes like this.

A chapter of space marines was battling Necrons on a tomb world and somehow their Librarians were able to shut off a bunch of Necrons(sever their link to a C'tan/Lord/whatever.) Upon their victory they were inspected the Necrons and realized their strength and power. The Librarians agreed and were able to channel their power and came to control some lesser Necrons while some were able to reach greater height and raise a tomb lord or two. They have not lost faith in the Emperor but are finding alternate means of bringing about his victory; needless to say, however, is that any inquisitor will roast their ass the second they see what these SM are doing.

The standard necrons will be either tactical marines or veterans while their weapons will be modified gauss guns(lets say the tech priests can't maintain them.) With the new ammunition for veterans this could end up well. Librarians will be the main HQ choice and a particlarily powerful one could also have a lord accompany them. Lords will use the rules for chaplins (fearless...yes please.) Maybe a tech priest in there as well with a swarm of scarabs to help repair vehicles...

So is this idea fluffy enough to pass, or is it complete heresy to even mention it again?!?

Clockwork-Knight
30-08-2008, 04:30
Complete heresy. Space Marines who deem alien weaponry to be better than the holy (glorified) bolter and controlling aliens are only one inch away from inquisitorial purge by the Ordo Haereticus, and perhaps the Ordo Xenos. Also, the machine-priests of Mars will complain about this peculiar chapter for using warp-sorcery to control alien machines in the first place. The traditionalists in the Adeptus Mechanicus form the majority, and they dislike every alien device that exists. Only man-made objects are sanctioned.

Also, it goes against current background-lore, because so far, the Mechanicus hasn't been able to get its hand on any fully functioning necron machine, seeing as they always phase out, with exception of really damaged beings that aren't of any use for the High Magi.

If anything at all, the very first second the Adeptus Mechanicus even hears of Space Marines controlling Necron Warriors and similars, they are going to take all Necrons away for studying (they won't leave one object behind), and won't hesitate to use force against the Space Marine Chapter if necessarily (as can be seen in Sould Drinkers).

At best, the chapter will be lauded for having found some strange way to combat necrons (but this will be kept in secret for at least a century, to ask the Omnissiah if this procedure, tainted with warp-energy, is acceptable). At worst, they get hunted down for being deviant witches who use alien artifacts. Not long, and they will start to use Necron Monolyths, or even worse, apply living metall instead of sanctified bionics.

More faithful chapters have been punished for lesser things, like the Howling Griffins.

So far, that's for background check. As for models, as long as your opponent knows what the individual models count as, it's okay. Perhaps he might even accept and like this piece of background lore, although, as I've said above, it really wouldn't work without opening a can of worms.

mongoosedog300
30-08-2008, 05:03
It's 40K.....theres absolutely nothing to stop you from doing it, a million worlds with even more possibilities :D

Rules wise, it would be ok if you used either one codex (marines), or by permission of your opponent, different rules from both codex's toned down (maybe include the necrons, but take away all the really cheesy stuff?)

Khaine's Messenger
30-08-2008, 05:06
I don't personally interpret Space Marines as being as inquisitive or willing to experiment as you suggest. After all, they're a rare resource and probably have a lengthy backlog of conflicts they have to attend. Fiddling with a tomb world with psychic powers (an endeavor that would probably require the focus of the chapter's entire Librarium and cadres of bodyguards, necessitating the logistics of transporting to and fro if the chapters is not a crusading chapter) long enough would viewd as obsessive to an unhealthy degree. Not only that, but depending on the opinions of their Techmarines (who're Marines first, devotees of Mars second, but still beholden to oaths made to Mars), the entire endeavor may cause internal strife between the chapter's organizational bodies or, heaven forbid, start to involve the meddling of the Mechanicus itself. And the Necron taint there can run as deep as you please.

However, as flimsy pretexts go, I think it passes muster. If you want to pound a bit on it, just keep in mind that not everyone in the setting knows what Necrons look like (or even what Necrons are), despite the fact that they're an army powerful enough to demand representation on the tabletop. It's a big galaxy, and it wouldn't be the first or the last time that the Imperium has led "robots" into battle under the banner of the aquila. You don't even really need to say they're Necrons besides the fact that the models that you're using are, in fact, Necrons. If you just want combat-bots armed with bolters, there's background for it. And there are a couple chapters and guard regiments that may as well be robots given how their fearsome reputation can march ahead of them. And if all else fails, you can go renegade and just drop all pretense of even caring that your hypnodoctrinated gengineered killing machines march side by side with hate-filled robotic deathmongers.

So I suppose it boils down to how much exposition you want to give your opponent and how much of a fluff-nazi your opponent is.

Malevon
30-08-2008, 05:23
It'd make more sense (and look less visually discordant) to go with a renegade Mechanicus faction mistakenly worshipping Necrons than Marines doing so, IMHO.

DantesInferno
30-08-2008, 07:14
It'd make more sense (and look less visually discordant) to go with a renegade Mechanicus faction mistakenly worshipping Necrons than Marines doing so, IMHO.

Would anyone want to take a guess which GW publication this quote is from?

The machine is strong. We must purge the weak, hated flesh and replace it with the purity of metal. Only through permanence can we truly triumph, only through the machine can we find victory. Punish the flesh. Iron in mind and body. Hail the Machine!
-Paullian Blantar, Iron Father of the Iron Hands Chapter

Codex: Necrons. It's one of those blunt-force-trauma style hints that GW likes to drop every now and again.

Jos
30-08-2008, 09:37
IMHO it sounds a bit too farfetched.... but as ever, it's your call

Gdolkin
01-09-2008, 15:06
As DantesInferno hints, search Warseer for 'Iron Hands' and 'Iron Souls'.. :)

PondaNagura
01-09-2008, 16:38
it would take a lot of mental willpower to move and control a necron. i mean their race grew up without using warp technologies, and i wouldn't really would like to be around should they ever actually wake up in battle.

now say maybe you had a chapter that found some hollowed out necron corpses, like ones that were expelled in some random place after being drawn into the warp [via wraithcannon]? then had some servitor minds plotted in, or the living metal enveloped some wounded marines [well that's a bit far fetched].

anyways i wouldnt even use the marine dex, i would say use chaos, and use thousand sons, to use the sorceror (librarian), using his mental powers to will the necron warriors (1k sons) forward

Sekhmet
01-09-2008, 21:23
Hello, I have recently come back into the hobby and after thinking I was going to try my hand at fantasy, I was sucked into the 40k void. Looking through my old stuff I found 1 box of unfinished tactical marines and 1 box of unfinished Necron warriors.

I had tried to find a single army to stick to but was unable to find a cost effective way of doing what I wanted. I have stumbled upon a new idea and it goes like this.

A chapter of space marines was battling Necrons on a tomb world and somehow their Librarians were able to shut off a bunch of Necrons(sever their link to a C'tan/Lord/whatever.) Upon their victory they were inspected the Necrons and realized their strength and power. The Librarians agreed and were able to channel their power and came to control some lesser Necrons while some were able to reach greater height and raise a tomb lord or two. They have not lost faith in the Emperor but are finding alternate means of bringing about his victory; needless to say, however, is that any inquisitor will roast their ass the second they see what these SM are doing.

The standard necrons will be either tactical marines or veterans while their weapons will be modified gauss guns(lets say the tech priests can't maintain them.) With the new ammunition for veterans this could end up well. Librarians will be the main HQ choice and a particlarily powerful one could also have a lord accompany them. Lords will use the rules for chaplins (fearless...yes please.) Maybe a tech priest in there as well with a swarm of scarabs to help repair vehicles...

So is this idea fluffy enough to pass, or is it complete heresy to even mention it again?!?

It's your army and your money, do whatever you want with it.

As for established 40k fluff, you might run into problems. Librarians can't sever the link - it's not a psychic one... it's purely technological. The AdMech *might* be able to do it if they got extremely lucky and they got outside help (from, say, the Deceiver or Dragon). Necrons are not mindless automations slaved to a single point of control. If their link gets severed to the next highest person in command (through the destruction of that person), as in modern militaries, the next lowest entity gets promoted to take command. Eventually, there's 1 Necron unit left that will either phase out and retreat against impossible odds or continue the mission if it's vital.

But you could use all that fluff and secretly know that the Necrons are cooperating on purpose and the "control" the librarian has actually an illusion.