PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone played the Starship Troopers game?

Eversor
24-04-2005, 13:36
Well, the subject says it all really... I read this review (http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakka/Default.aspx?tabid=39&mid=556&ctl=Detail&xmid=74&xmfid=6) on Dakka. It's not very in depth though... And it makes no mention of any fire supression rules, which I was hoping it'd have.

So, if you've played it, what were your impressions?

Crazy Harborc
28-04-2005, 01:47
I have the game as of Monday. Been reading rules and preped minies for gluing and painting. I tried Testors plastic cement......it doesn't work. Hellooo superglue gel.

I suggest you try www.mongoosepublishing.com. there is a forum. I will be headed there in a few minutes.

Neywon Darkson
16-05-2005, 20:11
I played a demo game the other day, and bought the game right after. I found the game to be fast, brutal, and a load of laughs. Wee had a great day of playing, and are planing on many more.

malika
16-05-2005, 21:35
Hey Neywon Darkson, are you the same Darkson as from Darkson Designs?

Neywon Darkson
17-05-2005, 01:55
Hey Neywon Darkson, are you the same Darkson as from Darkson Designs?

Nope, not me.

Crazy Harborc
17-05-2005, 02:06
Neywon....Hi glad you're around.

I am still making Bugs and slowly reading the rules for SST. I talked one long time opponent into buying the game, a special deal at the Warstore. Two other potential players/buyers want to try a game first. There are stores in my area stocking the game. I am guessing soon there will be demo games.

Neywon Darkson
17-05-2005, 10:30
I have 32 bugs in the works so far. Don't know if I'll do MI or not yet, and have no intention of doing Skinnies.

Crazy Harborc
18-05-2005, 03:35
I don't like the looks of the Skinnies, at least not in the photos I've seen to date. I say do one eight man squad of MIs. Put a hex on them and loan them out to opponents. :D

When my real oldtime, regular opponent gets his bugs together, we'll have 64 to rotate back onto the table. I only have 10 painted. I did shades of green, they came to wherever from a jungle world.

mattjgilbert
18-05-2005, 23:25
I've got all the models together and run the other guys at the club through the rules. We have played a couple of tester games using a single 5 man squad of MI and all the bugs but no serious games yet. Game plays really fast and is easy to pick up. The other guys are reading through the rule book now and it looks like the club as a whole will be investing.

Will take time to get decent army selection though unless you use proxies as we wait for the models to slowly come out.

Crazy Harborc
20-05-2005, 04:58
Stand ins are the plan around here too. No worrying about the minies police showing up either!!

:evilgrin: Just a thought, after hours/the stores closed, do GW's guys sneak out for a game of SST

mattjgilbert
22-05-2005, 23:37
Good news. The data files are now available for building SST army lists using Army Builder :)

boogle
23-05-2005, 01:17
where are those files?, are they for Army Builder 2 or 3?

mattjgilbert
23-05-2005, 14:03
AB3. The program will inform you of new updates (top right of the window) and then you get a list of the ones you want to pull down and install.

Crazy Harborc
24-05-2005, 19:49
The format used for the roster sheets is good. It has space for adding "crib notes" It should give me the reminders I WILL need.

If I had gotten the minies ready sooner this week would see game one. Sadly, the weekend is a holiday one. Monday we leave for 8 days of travel with Ragtime festivals and friends. They do......not......wargame.

erion
24-05-2005, 20:15
I've played as well, and am well into producing a bug army. It is fast, deadly, and as far from standard IGOUGO as it could possibly be.

anarchistica
25-05-2005, 23:14
There's a WIP file for 2.2 too. Look here (http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=90101#90101).

EDIT: I've been a naughty boy (http://datafilesrus.com/user/datafiles.asp?context=ab). ;) :)

Crazy Harborc
26-05-2005, 00:27
So far, I've only rostered up what I have the minies for. Army Builder will help me with the rules. (The problems for me are caused by what's between my ears not the covers of the rulebook.)

I'll check out the 2.2 version file.

Brandir
26-05-2005, 12:53
So, how good/bad are the rules? I read about the 'flinch' if one is shot at but not wounded. Sounds a good idea for skirmish games.

erion
26-05-2005, 13:07
Flinch is a way to prevent combats from being the furballs that 40k has. No model can be within the control zone of another model (base on the model's size) at the end of an action. Thus, you need to keep charging in if you want to keep fighting. It's beautiful.

Brandir
26-05-2005, 13:10
But does it work for, say, 100+ minis on each side.

This flinch rule seems similar to the push back in LOTR SBG.

Crazy Harborc
27-05-2005, 01:51
Flinch "reads" like a good idea. The rulebook is an easy enough read. There is a glossery in the back of the rulebook that is a BIG help. The rules aren't as complicated/confusing.

anarchistica
05-06-2005, 22:04
The AB file was updated, you can get 1.1 here (http://datafilesrus.com/user/datafiles.asp?context=ab). It's got the priority options for both armies and stuff. Kudos to linus for making it.

KTG
07-06-2005, 23:39
I really stood over this game for about half and hour and debated on if it was really worth the cash, but to be honest I hated the movie, think it's a crappy play on the books, and while I do like Andy Chamber's work, I am just not crazy about a game about some marines versus hordes of aliens. And the Skinnies. . . don't get me started.

So I held back from buying it. If I read enough positives, then maybe I'll pick it up, but I can't see how it would take any time away from the many other games I really really like.