PDA

View Full Version : Tourney all-around list

Jagosaja
30-08-2008, 14:41
I've been testing various things in new VC army, and I've come up with this. Hope I'll get some feedback from you people as I will soon participate in a 2250 pts tourney. There are neither special characters allowed, nor special champions.

2250 Pts - Vampire Counts Army

Vampire Lord - General; Magic Level 3
Forbidden Lore (Lore of Beasts); Dark Acolyte (lvl 4); Flying Horror
Helm of Commandment; Wristbands of Black Gold; Flayed Hauberk; Black Periapt

Vampire - Magic Level 1
Dark Acolyte (lvl 2); Avatar of Death (2ndWeapon)
Book of Arkhan

Wight King
Battle Standard Bearer
Skeletal steed; Barding; Lance; Heavy armour; Shield
Royal Standard of Strigos

Necromancer
Knows 2 Necromancy Spells: Invocation of Nehek; Vanhel's Danse Macabre
Dispel Scroll; Power Stone

20 Skeleton Warriors
Standard; Musician; Skeleton Captain
War Banner

20 Zombies

20 Zombies

5 Dire Wolves

5 Dire Wolves

9 Black Knights
Barding; Standard; Musician; Hell Knight
Banner of the Barrows

5 Fell Bats

5 Fell Bats

3 Cairn Wraiths; Banshee

1 Varghulf

Casting Pool: 9
Dispel Pool: 6
Models in Army: 97

Total Army Cost: 2249

Thanks guys!

Stinkfoot
30-08-2008, 22:50
By the looks of it you're relying on your zombies to win at least some combats. That is not going to happen. As it is you have two units that can win combats, two decent support units, and a ton of distractions. So many, in fact, that they'll almost certainly become redundant. I would get another block of skellies and either split the knights in two or add a couple more (10 is a bad size, since you're putting models in the back rank but probably won't reach combat with the rank bonus intact). Maybe add a third block even (of skellies or GG). To pay for all that I'd drop a unit of bats and at least one unit of zombies (which do the same thing as wolves most of the time). If you buy LotD for your lord than you don't need to worry about buying full units, saving you some points there too.

Your heroes are alright, though I'm not really sure why your caster lord needs flying horror. You have plenty of bunkers for him to hang out in as it is, and you're just asking for cannonballs as you're not allowed to put him in a unit of extra hitpoints. I also think it's a mistake for an army that includes skellies or ghouls to not take Lord of the Dead or Summon Ghouls, respectively. For 15 points, that power just can't be beat.

Jagosaja
31-08-2008, 00:59
I don't put the Lord in any unit as he has Helm of Commandment and it may be needed elsewhere. I have played a LoTD tactic before, and it bode well, but my Lord just could not pay his points off unless he is completely magic oriented. This is a valid way to play, but it does not fit my style as I want him to be much more mobile. He has armour save of 2+ and a ward of 3+ against any ranged attack, so he is pretty much safe I guess.

I'd like to drop a unit of zombies as they only represent a distraction as you have rightfully noticed. I do not count on zombies to kill anything, just to hold a charge if possible. The real problem is that all my opponents take out my fast units so quickly that I am left with big bunkers in early stages of the game. I win games nevertheless, but although wolves are cheap they sometimes seem like a complete waste of points.

Most of the time I have the problems of wolves and bats paying their points back as they die too fast. How do I make them more effective?

Stinkfoot
31-08-2008, 02:11
Dire wolves I see pretty much as mobile zombies. They can't be expected to kill anything, but they're good as redirection and blocking enemy LOS (or your own LOS in the case of KotBK). If you have enough magic zombies are the preferable choice since you can raise them wherever you need them and they can't get shot down before moving into position. Since your list only has one caster with Raise Undead I probably wouldn't bank on being able to cast it whenever you need it, unfortunately. I'd probably try to keep the wolves hidden in the early stages of the game, then move them into position when you need a unit to redirect. Moving them straight at the enemy turn 1 will surely get them killed.

Bats are a slightly better unit as they do make capable war machine hunters and march blockers. They're very vulnerable to missile fire however, and quite expensive. A single unit is decent for handling artillery, but unless you know you're going to be fighting a bunch of artillery trains (and I assume in a tournament setting you don't) then more than that one unit is probably excessive. All I can say with them is to hug cover and try not to get shot. If don't emerge until you're on the enemy's flanks, his missile troops won't be able to shoot you, and they're the ones that do the most damage to fliers.

A great cannon has a 2/9 chance of killing your Lord dead in one shot. If he dies you will lose the game almost certainly, and you can be reasonably confident you'll see an Empire playing cannon-user at your upcoming tournament. He is fast enough to get the Helm where it needs to be on foot in all likelihood, but there are times when he'll NEED the protection of a unit. He could save some points and take dread knight instead of flying horror and the hauberk to get a slightly boost from his foot speed.