PDA

View Full Version : 1000 points starter Dark Elves

Gobbo Lord
30-08-2008, 18:14
Here is my first list for the Dark Elves. I intend to build upon this as a god core foundation to a collection and also use it to learn the basics of the army. This is the first time I have ventured from my Greenskins since 4th edition and boy does it feel wierd painting something without using goblin green.

Master: Additional Hand Weapon, Heavy Armour, Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak, Gem of Bleakness (Immunue to psychology for him and his unit)

Sorceress: Ring of Darkness (Close combat attacks against her are at half WS and shooting against her or her unit is at half BS)

20 Dark Elf Spearmen: Spears, Light Armour, Shields, Full Command.

10 Repeater Crossbowmen: Light Armour, Musician.

12 Black Guard of Naggarond: Full Command, Banner of Heag Greaf (ASF)

theunwantedbeing
30-08-2008, 18:17
If you can, put shields on the crossbowmen,
4+ save in combat and being able to shoot a lot is always a useful combo.

I'de take a great weapon over an extra hand weapon for your general as well.

Thomus Darkblade
30-08-2008, 18:30
great weapon or halberd, so he dosn't give up his tremendous initiative. In this list I would give your sorc the sacrificial dagger and a power stone or dispel scroll as well, unless you know you're going to be fighting a very shooty army She's pretty terrible right now, as a level one. You could just get another master and give him the seal of ghrond, and have a character who can fight and also generates a DD.

Violadudester
30-08-2008, 18:59
Master: Additional Hand Weapon, Heavy Armour, Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak, Gem of Bleakness (Immunue to psychology for him and his unit)
As theunwantedbeing said, I would equip him with a GW and rather have the gem, give him the Ring of Darkness and stick him in the Black Guard where he'll be stiking first and your opponent will most likely be hitting on 5's in cc.

Sorceress: Ring of Darkness (Close combat attacks against her are at half WS and shooting against her or her unit is at half BS)
Make your sorceress a little more accomodating to her role, by giving her a scroll, extra level and maybe the dagger/Dark Star Cloak? Dark Elves magic can be very powerful in small point value matches.

I would drop one unit of warriors and increase one unit to 25. Stick your sorceress in there and sacrifice some warriors for those needed spells you might not quite get off from unlucky rolling.

A solid firebase. Give these guys shields like Darkblade first suggested. You could think about dropping one unit and get something with more of a punch, a Reaper Bolt Thrower comes to mind.

12 Black Guard of Naggarond: Full Command, Banner of Heag Greaf (ASF) Solid. If you have any points, give the champion soul render.

Gobbo Lord
30-08-2008, 19:14
The extra hand weapon was to take extra advantage of rerolling misses. Im still thinking like an Orc, trying to cram as many units as I can into the list. The Sorceress could indeed be armed better.

The idea is that this will be a solid infantry force, to be expanded upon at 2000 points. At this stage I planned on making one of the units of spears 30 strong so they could be sacrificed. Ill have another look at the list now.

fubukii
30-08-2008, 19:46
give your master the reverse ward save item and a great weapon, that way he becomes unkillable.

Jericho
31-08-2008, 02:08
That item hardly makes him unkillable. A few S3 attacks can still shread a Master very quickly and in 1000 pts it's pretty likely for him to face low S attacks. If your local opponents happen to take cheap great weapon-armed characters in small games, this can be a very useful item of course.

fubukii
31-08-2008, 03:01
well vs str 3 attacks he gets a 4+ save and a 4+ ward id say thats pretty survivable.

Gobbo Lord
31-08-2008, 14:43
Ok new list.....

Master: Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Sheild, Great Weapon, Ring of Darkness

Sorceress: Sacrificial Dagger, Tome of Furion

25 Dark Elf Spearmen: Spears, Shields, Light Armour, Full Command.

10 Repeater Crossbowmen: Musician, Light Armour.

13 Black Guard: Heavy Armour, Halberds, Full Command, Banner of Hag Greaf, Tower Master has a Null Stone (Magic resistance 1)

The Master goes in with the Black Guard to make two ranks of 7, his ring makes it hard to shoot at, and the champions Null Stone makes them more resilient to magic. I am expecting them to gain a lot of attention due to how insanely good they are.

I have 37 points left, the only thing i can see to spend it on is another rank of 5 spearmen for the unit. Not many units for 1000 points but im used to greenskins, is this a normal sized force?

TheDarkDaff
01-09-2008, 10:11
2 Arcane Items on the Socereress. I'd drop the Tome and grab a Dispel Scroll (magic missle don't roll to hit so your Black Guard could be in trouble) and swap the BG's Null Talisman forthe Ring of Hotek (that eats up 20 points).

The next steo i would take is to upgrade the Crossbowmen Units to have Champions because that little pip in BS can make a big difference (thats 10 more points).

The remaining 7 points i would spend on getting the Sorceress another PD otherwise known as a Spearman.

That should get you to dead on 1000 points. The only thing you will have to be aware of is that the only unit you have that is actually capable in combat is the Black Guard. Spearmen hit like a wet noodle (an angry one though) so don't expect anything more than 1 kill a round of combat. They are there to give your Sorceress somewhere to hide and give her extra PD and not much else.

Conotor
01-09-2008, 14:12
Ok new list.....

Master: Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Sheild, Great Weapon, Ring of Darkness

Sorceress: Sacrificial Dagger, Tome of Furion

25 Dark Elf Spearmen: Spears, Shields, Light Armour, Full Command.

13 Black Guard: Heavy Armour, Halberds, Full Command, Banner of Hag Greaf, Tower Master has a Null Stone (Magic resistance 1)

-With 37 points, I would give the crossbowmen shields.

-Dark riders are very useful. I would drop 1 unit of crossbowmen for a unit of dark riders with RxBs.

Little Aaad
01-09-2008, 18:52
Mind if I make you a list good for learning with the models you like?

110: Master - Blood Armour, Soul Render (AP GW?)

127: Sorceress - Level 2, Dark Steed

105: 15 Warriors: Shields Full Command.

105: 10 Repeater Crossbowmen

117: 5 Dark Riders - Repeater Crossbows, Musician

055: 5 Harpies

186: 14 Black Guard - Full Command, Banner of Hag Greaf

175: War Hydra

I've stripped all of the excessive items for lower point games and squeezed a Hydra in and some Harpies. You have all of the aspects of a Dark Elf Army here, to help you shape your 2000pts when you expand. You have some shooting, some magic, some speed, some elite troops, some cheap expendable troops, a hero and last but not least, a monster. When you play games you will not only get used to Dark Elf playing style but will also evolve a love for the particular aspects. Maybe your soft spot is with the magic or the shooting? Maybe the nice creaming infantry?

Hope I've helped, and if you have further questions, feel free to pm me!

Thanks, Ad.

FunkyRatDemon
03-09-2008, 20:59
If you can, put shields on the crossbowmen,
4+ save in combat and being able to shoot a lot is always a useful combo.

I'de take a great weapon over an extra hand weapon for your general as well.

While I agree on the Great Weapon
I don't believe/like giving Shields to RxB'ers, the extra pts isn't worth it IMO

DarkStarr
04-09-2008, 02:44
ok dont bother wich a sorceress at 1000 points, and dont bother with them at all till 2k in my opinion, they dont do crap for there points at this lvl exept get shut down, buy a chariot with those points you wont be dissapointed, lose all spearmen, I hate them and only usefull if you have a sorceress with a dagger other than that leave the women and children at home and bring in some real hitters like corsairs or cold one kignts, and put your units in 7 man fronts and shread your enemy in half, thats how de play all out attack kill or be killed, charge and watch your enemy get torn to pieces, good luck.

or if you wish to be truly devious like all dark elves should be, make good use of those points you put a always strike first banner on your black guard and use them as charge bait and laugh at your enemy as you cut him in half and counter charge with other units, spear elves are not good at this and arnt worth 6 points with the exeption as noted above.

Little Aaad
04-09-2008, 21:32
ok dont bother wich a sorceress at 1000 points, and dont bother with them at all till 2k in my opinion, they dont do crap for there points at this lvl exept get shut down, buy a chariot with those points you wont be dissapointed, lose all spearmen, I hate them and only usefull if you have a sorceress with a dagger other than that leave the women and children at home and bring in some real hitters like corsairs or cold one kignts, and put your units in 7 man fronts and shread your enemy in half, thats how de play all out attack kill or be killed, charge and watch your enemy get torn to pieces, good luck.

or if you wish to be truly devious like all dark elves should be, make good use of those points you put a always strike first banner on your black guard and use them as charge bait and laugh at your enemy as you cut him in half and counter charge with other units, spear elves are not good at this and arnt worth 6 points with the exeption as noted above.

Excuse me? Spearmen. Are. Awesomeness. On. A. Six. Point. Stick. the only DE unit that has a chance against a charge due to spears and to be fair, your not ALWAYS having it anyway. So cheap infact, you can get 2 units of these for one unit of Black Guards, talk about shooting magnets, two juicy units running farwards with mages inthere. Whats that, you didnt wipe them out? Shame, now my more elite stuff charges you. Cheap, versitile and awesomeness.

DarkStarr
04-09-2008, 23:34
awfull, thats why they reduced them to 6 point modles no offense but for a real offensice dark elf army they are crapola, I had one 15 man unit of black guard with the always strike first banner and a hero, get charged by a 20 man unit of black orc with a orc lord, a 10 man unit of squig hoppers and, on corner a 20 man unit of orc warriors, well lets just say with the banner they destroyed the black orcs and the squig hoppers in 2 turns, due to the fact that they are stubborn meens they will always take unmodified break tests,and always re roll failed to hit every round with a higher strength than spearmen, the warriors got charged by my 12 man unit of corsairs with the frenzy banner and I killed 10 orcs in one shot and they met tne same fate by running and getting caught, no spearmen could do this, spearmen suck, take 40 spearmen and pit them against 20 black guard the spearmen will get slaughterd and run away. point for point they suck and are not offensive, and are only good if you bring sorceress with the dagger.

playing elves is not about numbers its about out manuvering your enemy and setting counter charges with troops that do it well and denying your enemy the ability to even strike back, dark elves are the most offenise elf army out there and play best in that way, multiple small units with 7 man fronts, is the best ive seen and with the new rule book I am undefeated so far.

Lord Dan
05-09-2008, 00:27
Darkstarr, I think you fail to see the truly unique purpose of the DE warrior. That purpose is to die. Be it to add to your already insane magic phase or to ensure your more expensive units don't get shot before they make it to CC, warriors got a point drop so they could better accomadate their role.

Whether you take them or not is up to you. However my advice would be to try not to be so distracted by the shiny (and expensive) statlines of your more elite units before you really bulk up on the bare essentials.

It's like running into battle with a big expensive weapon and no armor.

DarkStarr
05-09-2008, 02:46
Yeah I got ya but for the points I cant squeeze them in unless its for some 6 point power dice for my sorceress, and if everything goes right they never see battle, as far a core units go corsairs and xbow men are better and i would deffinantly not call them shiny expensive elite units, and I dont bring a shortage of core, but what i am saying is spearmen do not fill that roll in my army, and I guess im playing with ppl who know wich units to shoot at, go figure they never shoot at the spearmen, yeah they dont look at spearmen and say " oh my god spearmen I sure better shoot them b4 killing those black guard coming at me" and until they give me a spell that makes my oponent do that I am not bringing them, and so far it seems to work great, and i believe they have very little to offer in a dark elf army, not when my corsairs get a 4 up save against missle fire, they live longer so they are worth there points and then some, and my xbow men shoot things to support my advancing troops.

Little Aaad
05-09-2008, 16:38
Yeah I got ya but for the points I cant squeeze them in unless its for some 6 point power dice for my sorceress, and if everything goes right they never see battle, as far a core units go corsairs and xbow men are better and i would deffinantly not call them shiny expensive elite units, and I dont bring a shortage of core, but what i am saying is spearmen do not fill that roll in my army, and I guess im playing with ppl who know wich units to shoot at, go figure they never shoot at the spearmen, yeah they dont look at spearmen and say " oh my god spearmen I sure better shoot them b4 killing those black guard coming at me" and until they give me a spell that makes my oponent do that I am not bringing them, and so far it seems to work great, and i believe they have very little to offer in a dark elf army, not when my corsairs get a 4 up save against missle fire, they live longer so they are worth there points and then some, and my xbow men shoot things to support my advancing troops.

You just dont get it do you? Of course they are going to shoot the Black Guard. I never use Black Guard, I hate how they work. But when this guy said that he liked them I made him a list so he could get the most out of the models he likes. I see their potential. But going around saying 'theyre crap, dont use them' is wrong. Heck I hate High Elves but I still offer valid advice to lists up here.

Sorry if I sound aggressive :(