PDA

View Full Version : Getting started with BB-ish, need a bit of help.

Wotansspawn
30-08-2008, 18:45
Its taken me a couple of days to find some way of getting enough posts to post this but here goes.

I'm not as green as most people who ask for help, I've bought the boxed game and painted most of the models and have all of the playbooks and a copy of the LRB from the SG site but I'm still very much stuck.

My dilemma is mainly on the subject of which team to start out with, Ive been in the hobby seven years so I'm not new to this kind of game but I'm not sure whther that is enough to make playing the "advanced" teams playable. I personally would like to play a fast paced passing game where playing as a team is the main strategy, though I don't want to have to remember the capabilities and stats of about fifty different kinds of players. ease of painting would be nice too.

Then there is the problem of the actual team, are the boxed sets a good idea or is it best to convert them, a lot of the guides I read on building a team mean that the boxed sets don't give you enough of the players you want (blitzers, blockers, gutter runners, trolls etc.) thus meaning I would have to buy two teams with loads of surplus models.

If anyone has any other advice i would be more than happy to hear it, Intend on inquiring at my local GW to see if their BB league is still running, and don't want to look foolish if I am to attend.

EmperorNorton
30-08-2008, 20:27
Fast paced passing game sounds like Elves, which presents you with two problems: Elves are expensive and fragile. They can be extremely succesful, but they can also be ruined quickly. In the league I play in there are four Elf teams, two at the top, two at the bottom. The first were lucky, the latter lost a couple of players in their early matches and haven't really had a chance to recover.
Humans are a bit sturdier and not quite as fast, but also good at the passing game. Skaven, Amazons and even Orcs would be additional options.

Before worrying about miniatures you should decide on a team, of course.
Generally you are right, though, that you won't get a complete team out of one boxed set. Converting is certainly an option or you could try to find whatever you need on www.bloodbowlfigs.com or ebay or the trade forums on here.

rev
30-08-2008, 20:57
Emperor Norton has covered it all.

I'd bu a boxed set and then boost it from BBfigs, or try and pick up an already expanded team on ebay.

I play humans often and they can be very fast paced, but durable and with enough blockers to withstand a bashing.

rev

Wotansspawn
30-08-2008, 21:43
Fast paced passing game sounds like Elves, which presents you with two problems: Elves are expensive and fragile. They can be extremely succesful, but they can also be ruined quickly. In the league I play in there are four Elf teams, two at the top, two at the bottom. The first were lucky, the latter lost a couple of players in their early matches and haven't really had a chance to recover.
Humans are a bit sturdier and not quite as fast, but also good at the passing game. Skaven, Amazons and even Orcs would be additional options.

Before worrying about miniatures you should decide on a team, of course.
Generally you are right, though, that you won't get a complete team out of one boxed set. Converting is certainly an option or you could try to find whatever you need on www.bloodbowlfigs.com or ebay or the trade forums on here.

Thanks. I was thinking of going for a Skaven team but elves have crossed my mind. Do Skaven suffer the same problems as elves. As a beginner I can see me ending up like the two at the bottom of the league with elves

Marlow
30-08-2008, 22:08
For League Play I like Pro Elves as I think they have the better Catchers, for one-off games Wood Elves have better starting skills however their catchers are only Str 2. High Elves are also good at the passing game and have better armour.

Cirrus the Blue
31-08-2008, 00:16
For a starting team, I'm going to agree with what's been said regarding the Human team as probably the best starting team to work with, not only on the reason that they're the most basic balanced, but still very good team in the rulebook, but more for the fact that when you do in fact decide to go with either a Strength based team (Orcs, Chaos, Ogres, etc.) or Agility based team (Elves, Elves, Skaven, Elves, etc.), you'll already have worked out some pretty great strategies with the Humans and moving from 3+ dice rolls to 2+ dice rolls will seem like a veritable cakewalk in comparison!!

My point is that the Humans are the best team for learning not only the mechanics of the game and how to play the game, but they teach you how to actually win more effectively than a team that's already easy to play with and doesn't teach you nearly as effectively to tightening up your strategy. Put it this way. If you started with an Elf team, you'd be rolling on 2+ most of the time and, yeah, that's pretty great. But the thing is, what if you grew to rely on that 2+ far more than is at all appropriate? You'd still be a pretty basic player without very tight strategies to win games if you weren't playing an Elf team. If you started with a team that can't rely on 2+ dicerolling to begin with, moving to the teams that you have that with will make you a frightening player if you'd trained yourself well enough with the other team to begin with.

Blah, blah, blah, yeah, I know I'm going on a bit of a ramble regarding Humans, but the fact remains they're the best team you can use to learn how to play and win a game of Blood Bowl. Besides, in League play, they can get downright scary on their own anyway!They don't start out really amazing, but they can very well end up dominating a League if you know what you're doing. That's at least my reccomendation. Also, the 2005 Humans box comes with a FULL 16 players!!! The whole thing's like.. 75 bucks Canadian I think. Well, sans the Ogre which you need to pick up seperately (and I *highly* reccomend you take him!), but that's it! I hope you enjoy your experiences in Blood Bowl and may your dice roll 6s. :D

- Cirrus

rev
31-08-2008, 11:46
skaven armour is WEAK, so you need to buy lots of players to field a full team for the 2nd half!

Humans swap armour points for movement points with skaven. (move less, higher armour).

While dice rolls can't be predicted, you can gain movement practically through clever tactical play and positioning. Thats why Humans are more forgiving and can be just as fast.

rev

LordSnotball
03-09-2008, 10:52
if i were you, i'd play 2-3 teams to get the feel of them, and then decide which team to go with and buy the minis...

personally i found that High Elves suited me, as the av8 keeps them alive, and the Movement 8 from the catchers is essential to score...

Wood Elves are also very good, yet die a lot, as the skavens do.

The thing i constantly encountered was that a battered team, going into a match with 7-8 players normally i didnt stand a chance. with High Elves, going into a match with 7-8 players could still give me a win...

and that's saying something!