PDA

View Full Version : squig herd casualties

stonetroll
30-08-2008, 21:23
So, today I was fielding my squig herd since a long time (just to see how they would do this edition) and I got a bit confused about the casualties and the model removal.

On p26 of the codex, it easily describes how you randomise shooting hits between the gobbos and the squigs, but what about melee?
With any other unit, I just remove casualties performed on the front rank from models in the rear rank.... But how should I do this with my herd? Especially confusing since it says "Night goblins can be placed anywhere in the unit." How do you guys do this?

Obviously placing only squigs in the front rank will improve their fighting potential as opposed to having to place goblins in the front rank as well, but do I realy have to go through the pain of actually rmoving the casualties from the front rank? (since they are obvisously different (no goblins) from the ones in the ranks befind....

If I would be able to remove models from the rear, this would also impose problems, because then goblins (being in the rear) would be removed first and the the unit would explode due to having no goblins left.....

So, anyone an idea of how to handle a squig herd in melee and how to make an "ideal setup" in term of ranks? Any help would be greatly appreciated, because I'm quite confused at the moment by this stunningly beautiful looking unit.

Gazak Blacktoof
30-08-2008, 22:02
If the enemy kills a squig you remove a squig, if they kill a goblin you remove one of those. Take an appropriate model from the back rank if one is available, otherwise take one from the front and fill in the gap with a model from a rear rank.

Normally you'll shove all the squigs to the front of the unit and as they are depleted goblins will move closer to the front as the gaps from squigs dying are filled.

Braad
30-08-2008, 23:39
If there are both squigs and night gobbo's in the front rank, the enemy has to declare which of his models attacks which models in the unit. Keep in mind that models have to make base contact before they can attack something, so if there are squigs in the front line, but a certain enemy is only in btb with NG's, then he can only attack night gobbo's.

The taking models from the back doesn't really work here, no. Just remove the appropiate models, and after the battle redress the ranks.

For ranks, I always put squigs in the front, gobbo's in the back. This just looks best, so this is how I do it. It takes a bit of a hassle, but yeah, they are worth it.

Urgat
31-08-2008, 00:30
You're not confused at all, look:

do I realy have to go through the pain of actually rmoving the casualties from the front rank?

You got it right, that's what you have to do :p But honestly, when you start removing so many models that it looks like it's actually going to be a pain, just do your breaktest, odds are you're going to remove the whole unit :p

Mireadur
31-08-2008, 02:19
Im an Urgat's devotee :p

Gazak Blacktoof
31-08-2008, 07:30
The taking models from the back doesn't really work here, no. Just remove the appropiate models, and after the battle redress the ranks.

Sure it does, provided there's an appropriate model to remove.

stonetroll
31-08-2008, 08:00
Okay, that kinda explains it all I guess, thanks for clarifying!

So, do you guys think the unit's worth it? Considering 3 pts per N-gobbo, the squigs cost 8 pts per model, not bad imho for 2*WS4 S5 attacks, not to mention their immunity to psychology (and most importantly absolutely stunning looks :evilgrin:).

I also fell in love with the squig hoppers, gonna have to choose about what to abandon from special choices now :s. Either the black orcs, spear chuckas, boar chariot or savage orc boar boyz have to go.... cry

Gazak Blacktoof
31-08-2008, 10:11
Hoppers are certainly worth it. One of the best units in the list.

I've not used my herd since 6th edition.

Urgat
31-08-2008, 10:35
So, do you guys think the unit's worth it? Considering 3 pts per N-gobbo, the squigs cost 8 pts per model, not bad imho for 2*WS4 S5 attacks, not to mention their immunity to psychology (and most importantly absolutely stunning looks :evilgrin:).

I also fell in love with the squig hoppers, gonna have to choose about what to abandon from special choices now :s. Either the black orcs, spear chuckas, boar chariot or savage orc boar boyz have to go.... cry

Well, herders seem nice, but I still don't have enough to field them, so I don't really know.
Hoppers are awesome , though.

Braad
31-08-2008, 10:41
They are worth it, definately. Even if they die early, because your scared opponent throws all his missile weapons at it, then its still a fairly cheap unit that has died.

Do note, that its cheap, but if it breaks there is 0% of rallying. So it kind of makes sense.
On the other hand, if you let it break in the right spot...

@ Gazak
Well since in my situation I always have the squigs fighting and the gobbo's in the back rank, it doesn't work for me. But ok, point taken.

Urgat
31-08-2008, 12:16
They are worth it, definately. Even if they die early, because your scared opponent throws all his missile weapons at it, then its still a fairly cheap unit that has died.

My problem is that although the squig bomb does sound neat, it remains that it's one of my precious special choices that would blow up...

Braad
31-08-2008, 14:35
Well, in the end, all night goblins are gonna break, so you just as well might take everything out of it you can get!

Don't get me wrong though, I would always endeavour to keep such a unit alive, since they can do way more damage that way, but if they have to die anyway, then with as much of the opponent as they can take along.