PDA

View Full Version : Eldar Language

Seth the Dark
31-08-2008, 02:25
Does anyone know of an Eldar language guide out there?

MrBigMr
31-08-2008, 02:56
Eldar Language Guide. (http://www.teuton.org/~stranger/index.php?action=cms.Eldar)
Don't know how official, but good enough for me to tell the truth.

Clockwork-Knight
31-08-2008, 04:36
Keep in mind that Eldar Language also emphasizes hand-signs, actuality of the events, and even who speaks it. The same very exact sound written with the exact same runes could be three totally different things by changing the context, the hand-gesture, and the house of literature. The third edition Eldar codex does have a page dedicated to it.

Starchild
31-08-2008, 05:03
Don't know how official, but good enough for me to tell the truth.

That's actually quite official. All the material is taken from GW publications. A good chunk of it is from Codex Titanicus. I should know, since I own a copy. ;)

Some aspect warrior names in Eldar (Codex Titanicus :angel:)--

Dire Avengers: Fian Dialcaman
Swooping Hawks: Fian Silsperaigh
Dark Reapers: Fian Buanna [I figured this one out with help from WD 100]

As for an actual deciphering of, say, the runic script you get on the decal sheets, no, we don't have anything of the sort. :(

kikkoman
31-08-2008, 05:03
Keep in mind that Eldar Language also emphasizes hand-signs, actuality of the events, and even who speaks it. The same very exact sound written with the exact same runes could be three totally different things by changing the context, the hand-gesture, and the house of literature. The third edition Eldar codex does have a page dedicated to it.

The human translator's description sounded a lot like the introduction to my Intro to Japanese Literature class. I wonder if they took it from that.

Even does that "reference to this old epic poem's specific lines in common using creating nuances" with Tale of Genji and a purple haze or something

Clockwork-Knight
31-08-2008, 05:27
It's pretty sure taken (or inspired) from Japanese. Eldar in 2nd edition were all about balance, harmonic life-style, ninja-esque combat styles and whatever cliché you can take from looking japanese samurai-films and other stuff.

MrBigMr
31-08-2008, 08:15
I'm more incline to point towards China. I mean, they have that flashy colours and Kung-Fu combat style. I think the Tau are the Japs with their Mecha suits and Samurai armour and all that. But there's plenty of "exotic" cultures in the Eldar, such as some Egyptian stuff.

Bregalad
31-08-2008, 08:39
Also consider using Celtic and Tolkien Elf language, as both fit perfectly (e.g. Celtic craftworld names Samhaine=Saim-Han and Beltaine=Biel-Tan).

Kage2020
31-08-2008, 12:58
And if they're correct, the whole use of the "fian" thing. ;)

Kage

Seth the Dark
31-08-2008, 22:04
Thanks for the replies guys! It will be a great help.