PDA

View Full Version : Steam Tank Cannon Misfire.. Do you get an armour save?

TroyJPerez
31-08-2008, 07:14
I played in a game today, and a cannon misfired on the steam tank. The player said he got an armour save cause it never said anywhere that he didn't from the misfire. Was he right? It didn't give a strength value so he took it as a pure 1+ save. Seems kinda of cheesey, is this correct or not?

T10
31-08-2008, 11:03
It either does, or it doesn't. :)

In my opinion a model that is subject to an attack, hit or wound will always get his saves unless otherwise is specified. That should be the general rule, really.

That being said, it seems a bit odd that the Steam Tank is virtually immune to its very special brand of misfire penalty.

-T10

Tarax
31-08-2008, 11:11
I believe nothing can stop the effect from a misfire.

DeathlessDraich
31-08-2008, 11:38
From the perspective of what happens:

An armour save blocks or nullifies a hit/wound from an external source.

A misfire is an internal explosion, damage etc.

No amount of armour can alleviate a knight suffering from a tummy ache!

EvC
31-08-2008, 12:25
So, anyone with the actual book able to alleviate the concerns?

That's the kind of fellow I would have no problem attempting to "spike" (Well, him or his Steam Tank ;) ). Silly rules lawyer...

Commodus Leitdorf
31-08-2008, 13:29
The Rules for the Steam tank just say the target suffers d3 wounds when it misfires. However, its a cannon, and the cannon rules specifically say no armour saves from hits from a cannon.

And even if he still got an armour save, the hull cannon is str8, so he would be saving a a 6 regardless.

So to answer your question, the Steam Tank doesn't get an Armour save from misfires, it just suffers d3 wounds.

The Clairvoyant
31-08-2008, 14:13
No armour save.

If it was a strength-based attack, it'd say "suffers d3 S8 hits" or whatever, That would then give you the basis of a save modifier. As it just says "takes d3 wounds", you can't possibly decide to take an armour save as you don't have a strength value and so you take the d3 wounds (although you'd get a ward save)

This may not be good enough for a rules lawyer but it makes perfect sense to me and is the way we've always played such things that inflict direct wounds. Of course some people will always be nobs about this sort of thing because its not *specifically* stated somewhere. I'm glad my gaming group has such a thing as common sense.

Dareus
31-08-2008, 14:19
Actually it's not written there that you don't get your save. But that's most certainly not intended. RAW needs impeccable authors. Even the pope isn't any more so you sometimes have to read between the lines ;).
And that's why I never use this cannon. This thing is already unstable enough. 1 misfire with 3 wounds and the tank is practically of no use any longer. 300 points wasted.
The Steam Tank is for close combat :evilgrin:

Dareus

SolarHammer
31-08-2008, 16:31
So we are going purely with intent here?

Dareus
31-08-2008, 17:02
Yeah... I don't even own a BRB. We always play by bashing minis together.
:p
No, seriously... Taking d3 wounds (or "losing d3 healthpoints, as it's written in the German army book).
This wording doesn't suggest that you get a save of any sort to me, because it's the same effect as with for example weapons that do more than one wound. With theses weapons it's always after saving throws and such that these wounds are inflicted. So basicly when the wounds are inflicted, it's to late for saving throws.

A bit hard to make my point clear in this point but for those that don't like common sense it would be a hint of how this is worked out in my understanding.

Dareus

semersonp
31-08-2008, 18:21
empire army book pg 51

"If you roll a misfire on the artillery dice, the Steam Tank suffers D3 Wounds and the cannonball is not fired."

not hits of so-and-so a strength, but wounds... so nothing to reference an armour save...

never thought about it any other way myself... misfire = D3 wounds to the tank straight up...

tankworks
31-08-2008, 18:46
Exactly, a missfire is internal, no way you can get a save. Common sense has to rule.

therat
01-09-2008, 01:03
Dareus explained it as I would. Wound multipliers are taken after armor saves are failed, so no armor save. It quite simply takes d3 wounds

The Red Scourge
01-09-2008, 09:35
No amount of armour can alleviate a knight suffering from a tummy ache!

Thats priceless and so true :D

Condottiere
01-09-2008, 09:45
What happened to cast iron stomachs?

Mireadur
01-09-2008, 22:36
This is damn crazy how can we understand each other when our personal interests always stand over logical and common sense!

I feel for the guy who posted the question and has to deal with such ''person'' to play with.