PDA

View Full Version : Played my first fun game of 40K Saturday. Was neat.

RedKnightSpecial
07-11-2005, 21:09
I played my first two games of 40K about a week ago and I was not impressed. They both consisted of me moving my Orks forward for 2 turns then assaulting (and tearing the crap out of my enemy) with whatever was left. And lots of dice rolling. Not too fun. I should probobly mention that my opponents were teenagers.

I went in Saturday not expecting to even play. I was there to trade some models in exchange for painting services.:p There was an older guy there without an opponent, so I asked him if he wanted to play.

Now THIS fellow had a cool army. Fully and nicely painted Deathguard, all mounted in rhinos and a Land Raider armed with weapons that would tear the crap outa me. I also had to roll 6's to wound with my boyz. I had to use every trick in my (admittedly limited) book. I feinted, redeployed, and even made a tactical retreat (unorky!!) at one point. In the end I wiped him out, losing about half my boys in the process.

I had a blast! I went in fully expecting to lose, played a HARD game, which admittedly I had lots of luck in, and managed to pull off a win that was a whole lot closer than it seemed. My opponent was a cool guy with a great looking army. I will give this game a couple more chances, and choose my opponents wisely. They seem to be the single biggest factor in having a good time playing this game.

I think I need a Battlewagon.

wischhusen
07-11-2005, 21:14
yep playing better oppentetns makes a better game but alos playing agaisnt freinds is fun too i play every saturday with a bunch of freinds and the occaisnily new guy as we are freinds it is just lack gaming with loads of odd scenoires once we had some spaz marines and dark eldar fighting over a drop pod full of angry wood elves (lol that weried)

starlight
07-11-2005, 21:16
It *is* all about the opponent.

Glad that you had a great time, looking forward to more BatReps.

Lafeel Abriel
07-11-2005, 21:17
It *is* all about the opponent.

Glad that you had a great time, looking forward to more BatReps.
Truer words have seldom been spoken. Welcome to the game, and may more battles be as fun as that one clearly was.:)

RedKnightSpecial
08-11-2005, 20:38
You know, it says something about 40K fans that I posted a thread a week ago talking about how I didn't have a very good time in my first 40K game and it hit like 130 posts; whereas thisthread is on page 2 already with only three posts, after I talked about what a great time I had.

I am not sure what it says, but it says something.

x-esiv-4c
08-11-2005, 20:43
Welcome to the game :)

Wraithbored
08-11-2005, 21:25
Indeed the better the opponent the funner the game, and I admit I really like it when my opponent has a well painted army (Yerpo's Emperor's Children and Blackfangs Thousand Sons spring to mind), and is a great opponent as well(again both Yerpo and Blackfang).

hairyman
09-11-2005, 11:05
I think I need a Battlewagon.

Everybody needs a battlewagon! They're certainly the best looking vehicles in 40k, if only because every single one is so individual.

You have, by the way, picked the most fun 40k army. :)

Xir
09-11-2005, 12:38
As you have noticed, selecting your opponent carefully is half the battle when it comes to enjoying 40k. I firmly believe the other half is playing senarios and one off games. Playing quarter claiming Cleanse over and over will drive you mad. I seriously never played any other scenario for over a year and it drove me out of the hobby for awhile. Occasionally one likes to feel that their army is fighting for a reason. :)

Congratulations on finding a reason to stay with it.