PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about the Special Play Cards?

EmperorNorton
31-08-2008, 10:19
We don't use them in our league, but one of the players said he really wanted to use them as they, in his opinion, give you a better chance at levelling the playing field than other inducements.
I disagree, I'd rather have an inducement where I know what I'm getting and although I haven't read all of the cards the ones I read rarely gave me the impression of being worth the price you have to pay to draw a card.
What is your experience with these cards?

rev
31-08-2008, 12:44
The cards are great fun, and I personally prefer them to inducements.

If you win, its often hilrious, if you loose, you were the underdogs anyway!

Marlow
31-08-2008, 15:25
Cards are fun, and sometimes there is not a lot of useful Inducements to Purchase. If you have less than 100k then a Card may be more use than Bloodwiser Babes (especailly if you are a high AV team). Some of the 100k cards are better than Team Training, you just have to take a risk with the random draw.

guillaume
31-08-2008, 19:12
The cards are fun because they add character to the game. Of course one has to remember about using the card.

You can also use the card as tournament prizes, where the winner of the league/tournament get a free card as a prize which can be used whenever only once.

Cirrus the Blue
31-08-2008, 21:00
I feel the special play cards are *fully* neccessary to game balance purposes with the new Inducement charts. With the Star Players, extra Re-Rolls, Wizards, Apothecaries, etc., these only go so far for helping balance out a lopsided game. At my local GW, they were playing their first season without use of Star Players OR Special Play Cards and even then only allowed half of the suggested inducement amount (if you're 1,000,000 Gold below a team, you only get 500,000. *choke*) and you can guess how well this turned out for the underdogs. Fail.

The current inducement table, especially with use of the Special Play Cards, is the most balanced and perfect 'handicap' they've ever written bar none out of any game they've ever made. This is going off of my own experiences and also watching and listening to other players (especially the new and fresh ones that ended up being over a million gold beneath my team or others with similar ratings) with the use of everything in the inducement table. Without the Special Play Cards, I can say with confidence that they would've been defeated with little effort, which honestly sucks. The previous Handicap Table had more games end up that way which is overall the biggest reason why they changed it. If you could take extra Star Players, then this might not be such a massively big deal (but it'd still be a big enough deal that it'd still leave the underdogs at a disadvantage), but for obvious reasons of game balance you can only take 2. This by itself along with an extra re-roll or two doesn't always close the gap.

You 'can' get away with not using the Special Play Cards early on in a league, but once things start getting going and the difference in team rating hits about 700,000 Gold, it's harder and harder for an underdog team to stand any kind of a chance at all to win or even tie a game without them - leaving their teams to just get pounded or otherwise by the opposition.

I'll also agree with Marlow on the fact that against some teams sometimes (more often than not), a Special Play Card can be worth far more than some extra team training with re-rolls - which a team should already have at least *enough* of when starting their roster to begin with. Actually, if you look closely at the Special Play Cards, you'll notice that they've put in the last Wizard's Spell that turns people into a frog - ZZAP!!, or even some of the old Handicap Table results such as Morley's Revenge and others.

They're certainly a valuable alternative when it makes sense to take them instead of just ordinary stuff that might or might not benefit your team such as a Re-Roll you might never get around to using, or an extra Apothecary that might not ever come into play, or even Bloodwieser Babes when one of your guys is KO'd and you're rolling 6's to wake up for the entire game anyway. The Special Play Cards work far more effectively to balance out a match. An extra Apothecary or Re-Roll won't ever be helping your team to deal with and take down that pesky MA10 ST4 AG5 Wood Elf Wardancer, but with a little bit of luck a Special Play Card just might hinder him and his team enough or add enough random craziness to the pitch to turn the tides. I hope that sheds a little bit more light on why they're so important.

As for the use of them in tournaments as prizes, we did that for Midseason Dungeonbowl putting a bunch of Magic Item cards and other Special Play Cards (never anything 'too' strong. I think about 100,000 was the limit for these.) as well as a few things from the Inducement tabel such as Re-Rolls as big gemstones that can be carried and passed like a football or Bloodwieser Babes into Treasure Chests to be found and that they could be either used on the spot or held by the team for use at a later date (or later in the Dungeon). It was great! :D

- Cirrus

Marlow
01-09-2008, 08:50
I like the idea of using them as Prizes, they could go with the Player Awards something for most Casulties and most Touchdowns of the Season...

Leilond
01-09-2008, 10:19
Nice idea... but there are too many of them

Cirrus the Blue
01-09-2008, 10:24
By no means must you use all of them! The 400,000 Gold cards would be perfect for prizes of the big Season Final tournaments! :D As for Dungeonbowl Treasure, we picked and chose the ones that suited being found in a Treasure Chest most such as the Belt of Giant Strength, or the Teleportation Ring, etc. for the most part along with a couple extra bits and pieces from the list, too, so it actually worked out really well.

I just love how much extra flavor the cards bring to the game. It brings us to about as close as we can get for now to all of the wacky background stories found throughout the many books in the 'Did you know?' boxes, and I think it's absolutely hilarious that way.

- Cirrus

Marlow
01-09-2008, 12:16
Nice idea... but there are too many of them
There are, I think, 13 Magic Items so giving out two at the end of each season would be 4-8 a year (depending on how many seasons you have) so you could go a couple of years before a second Belt of Strength was given out. You could also say that the item has to be used during the following season to stop people hoarding stuff.

Darkson
03-09-2008, 01:51
We don't use them in our league, but one of the players said he really wanted to use them as they, in his opinion, give you a better chance at levelling the playing field than other inducements.
I disagree, I'd rather have an inducement where I know what I'm getting and although I haven't read all of the cards the ones I read rarely gave me the impression of being worth the price you have to pay to draw a card.
What is your experience with these cards?

As the person that originally pushed for the cards in the playtest vault days, I have to say your player is incorrect.

The cards are, cost for cost, weaker than inducements, and were always designed to be so. Yeah, sometimes, a combo will be great against a certain team, but at most times, 200K worth of cards will be less "powerful" than 200K of normal inducements.