PDA

View Full Version : w00t! I managed to put a nail in my foot!

celestine
24-04-2005, 13:56
lol... I was in the garden an hour ago and was making kindling (sp?) from some pallets and I stood on a board and it went right through my shoe and in to my foot.. I've just spent the last 55 minutes in a bath fraticly ripping off the skin, trying to make it bleed so that I don't get tetnis... I think I'm ok.... :( .. still hurts pretty bad.

I just thought my sheer genius deserved to be put on to the net.. :rolleyes:

Celestine (in a lot of pain)

TheRighteous
24-04-2005, 14:31
I think you should go to the doctor and get a tetnus needle :)

-Jono

Sgt John Keel
24-04-2005, 14:34
Pix plz!

Seriously, I can't think of something to write here. :(

/Adrian

Kargos Bloodspit
24-04-2005, 15:18
Why is it every time anyone hurts themselves on portent they dont go to a medical professional? they either try to fix it up using super glue or make it worse.

seriously , go see a doctor , now :)

The Judge
24-04-2005, 15:38
To quote Homer Simpson, who did the same thing;

"Hmmm...I think that will requiere a tetanus shot"

celestine
24-04-2005, 15:43
Well to be honest with you Kargos I don't think it's that bad and I'm not going to go wait in line at the hospital so some guy can say;" umm... yeah.. it doesn't look too bad but just try and stay off of it till it heals up."
As far as the pics go sorry guys. I'm still waiting for santa to get me a camera.. I can describe it *pulls off tubi-grip* It's more of a bloody kind of hole about 7mm wide with a ring of dried blood at the moment..sounds worse than it is.. I'm 99% sure.

Marsekay
24-04-2005, 16:35
I did this twice on my last Job! 2 nails in my feet in 1 year!

But it has had no adverse affects on me,

Because

I'm a helicopter!!!!
"WHIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!""""

TheRighteous
24-04-2005, 16:46
I did this twice on my last Job! 2 nails in my feet in 1 year!

But it has had no adverse affects on me,

Because

I'm a helicopter!!!!
"WHIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!""""
this is so signiefied

TheSonOfAbbadon
24-04-2005, 23:02
Methinks the last 2 sentences on their own would cause a considerable amount more hillarity.

On topic: At least this isn't a thread about how someone fails to remember 'IT IS POINTY, LET IT FALL!'

Nid
24-04-2005, 23:07
Some superglue will take care of that.

arxhon
24-04-2005, 23:07
Methinks the last 2 sentences on their own would cause a considerable amount more hillarity.

On topic: At least this isn't a thread about how someone fails to remember 'IT IS POINTY, LET IT FALL!'

Didn't do that once when i knocked a pointy kitchen knife of fmy counter.

STAB!
:(

Sgt John Keel
24-04-2005, 23:19
Didn't do that once when i knocked a pointy kitchen knife of fmy counter.

STAB!
:(

Reminds me of Final Destination, it does. Oh, how I hate that movie.

/Adrian

Ass Goblin
25-04-2005, 08:01
Some superglue will take care of that.

Is there anything superglue can't do? :D

Beefstick
25-04-2005, 08:05
Is there anything superglue can't do? :D

Sure, it can't fix all the wounds that take an old t-shirt to wrap up. Now, Superglue and Whiskey, with their sidekick Fire...There is an unstoppable combo!

Lord Balor
25-04-2005, 09:37
Henceforth, SuperWhiskeyFire Glue shall be the answer to all of mankinds problems. As for sharp things, you instictively try to catch them and realise too late that they can impale you...

Brother Munro
25-04-2005, 11:40
That's why you use your ninja like skills and catch the pointy thing between your finger and thumb and throw it back, like a ninja. Or dodge it in a ninja - like way.

Sai-Lauren
25-04-2005, 11:50
I swear, sooner or later someone will come onto Portent with
"I've just had a little accident with a chainsaw, I'm ankle deep in this red liquid which is coming from where my hand used to be and I'm feeling a little light headed, what should I do?" :p

The boyz
26-04-2005, 20:47
"I've just had a little accident with a chainsaw, I'm ankle deep in this red liquid which is coming from where my hand used to be and I'm feeling a little light headed, what should I do?" :p

Yeah to right. :D

Verergoca
26-04-2005, 23:08

cant wait for it...

ow the hilarity that will ensue...

Ass Goblin
27-04-2005, 05:39
Henceforth, SuperWhiskeyFire Glue shall be the answer to all of mankinds problems. As for sharp things, you instictively try to catch them and realise too late that they can impale you...

Sounds like a plan :D Now if only someone here gave us pics of them impaled by a mini.

neXus6
27-04-2005, 05:51
Well I've known people who have suffered from the caltrop like abilities of 2nd ed Plastic Gretchin.

I've got lucky and not hurt myself to badly from doing things like catching falling clippers.

I think my luck now stems from a rather nasty incident with a nail when I was at Primary School. Thankfully that was just a nasty cut to my leg rather than somewhere more important.

Wiseman
27-04-2005, 06:41
i can just see it happening

Hercco
27-04-2005, 08:46

Yep. And some will suggest superglue.

Lord Balor
27-04-2005, 09:54
Yep. And some will suggest superglue.

And not just any superglue, but SuperWhiskeyFire Glue, The Answer to all Medthreads on Portent. Its the fixing power of superglue combined with the purifying flames and antiseptic/Pain relief that is alcohol!

*Still Waiting for Pics*

Snoozer
27-04-2005, 14:40
I once steped on a nail, it wasen't one of those sissy little nails it was at least a 5" nail and it hurt like damn, I was... I dont remember how old I was then, but it was around the same time a hammer droped right on my head from 3 feets height (we were making a tree house with my buddies, on both occasions :D )

:D

Adept
27-04-2005, 14:58
You know, Superglue was originally invented as an emergency battlefield suture. So if you DO seriously cut yourself, superglue is actually a good thing to use as a pre-hospital patch-me-up.

Kargos Bloodspit
27-04-2005, 22:32
now adept, explain why it is that only Wargamers actually use it as such...

why dont medical proffesionals?

and there, you will find the reason why I dont use it in such a way.

Ass Goblin
28-04-2005, 01:18

They do. A guy I know once cracked his skull on a brick and they superglued it back together. I was amazed actually.

Wiseman
28-04-2005, 07:17
ive heard of a similar thing, though he was drunk and so were his mates, and none of them were medical professionals, so it wasnt really the same, except his head was glued together with superglue

Adept
28-04-2005, 09:12
now adept, explain why it is that only Wargamers actually use it as such...

and there, you will find the reason why I dont use it in such a way.

Well, if we're just going to be silly - Clearly since medical profesionals use defibrilators and not CPR, then we shouldn't use CPR either...

Medical profesionals don't use superglue (as a general rule) because it was developed as a battlefield suture to be carried by soldiers in the field. Easily applied with little or no medical knowledge, with one hand, while lying in the mud. Medical professionals have actual sutures, and don't need to worry about half-measures like superglue.

Cheesejoff
28-04-2005, 09:18
You put a nail in your foot.....................................

Yeah, I can see this happening : "Help! I've just hacked my head off with an axe, but I superglued it back on and it's better now!"

Go. To. A. Doctor. Please.

Sai-Lauren
28-04-2005, 10:06
Well, if we're just going to be silly - Clearly since medical profesionals use defibrilators and not CPR, then we shouldn't use CPR either...

Medical profesionals don't use superglue (as a general rule) because it was developed as a battlefield suture to be carried by soldiers in the field. Easily applied with little or no medical knowledge, with one hand, while lying in the mud. Medical professionals have actual sutures, and don't need to worry about half-measures like superglue.

Erm, there's been a lot of research in recent years to replace stiches with superglue in operations, especially where the stiches are internal.
Hobbyists superglue doesn't like liquids, they destroy the bond. Medical superglues last longer in the presence of fluids, and will eventually break down in the body once the wound has healed enough to hold itself together.

And defibrilators CANNOT restart someones heart (nearly every tv series and movie gets this wrong) - they stop fibrilation (hence the name), where the heart muscles are trying to contract at random - the electric shock basically kicks them all into a normal rhythm. CPR (including cardiac adrenaline injections) can get someones heart restarted, or at least into fibrilation, when you can shock it to establish a normal heartbeat again.

The Phoenix
28-04-2005, 10:13
Hobbyists superglue doesn't like liquids, they destroy the bond. Medical superglues last longer in the presence of fluids, and will eventually break down in the body once the wound has healed enough to hold itself together.Does this mean one shouldn't use superglue if you have a particularily nasty cut and are on your way to the hospital but want to limit the bleeding, or just that the superglue won't work particularily well?

-Phoenix

Sai-Lauren
28-04-2005, 12:41
Does this mean one shouldn't use superglue if you have a particularily nasty cut and are on your way to the hospital but want to limit the bleeding, or just that the superglue won't work particularily well?

-Phoenix
Put it this way, if it's serious enough to be going to hospital, pressure and a lot of padding will be of far more use than running a tube of superglue over it and hoping it seals the wound - along with anything that may be in it.

Add in that you can't be sure exactly what's in what you've just run over an open access to your blood stream, let's just say medical superglues will have been tested for toxicity, what's in your plastic bottle which came from behind the cashdesk at your local GW probably hasn't been. Minor dosages maybe, but I'd still rather not take the chance (why do you think it's other name is Cyanoacrylate glue? With a partial molecular structure of -C=N)

The Phoenix
28-04-2005, 13:22
Fair enough. Where can I get medical superglue? Sounds like a handy thing for a first aid kit. Not that I'd probably ever run into a situation where I'd need it, but I imagine it'd be quite handy if I was out camping and something nasty happened...

-Phoenix

hairyman
28-04-2005, 13:35
Knowing my modelling skills, if I ever tried to superglue a digit or appendage back on to my body it would go on upside down and then fall off after a week....

celestine
29-04-2005, 13:30
Well it looks a lot better now and I haven't gone to the doctor.. as far as the superglue goes I think I'll leave that for a later date....and I don't doubt for a second that there will be another. It just seems to happen to me..

Sai-Lauren
29-04-2005, 13:46
Seems a reasonable place for this

Superglue on wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate)

Kaoslord
02-05-2005, 23:50
Well it looks a lot better now and I haven't gone to the doctor.. as far as the superglue goes I think I'll leave that for a later date....and I don't doubt for a second that there will be another. It just seems to happen to me..

How's your Jaw? Locked up like a rusty gate yet?

Seriously, even if you don't get Tetnus, which you probably deserve, you need to keep that clean and sterile, unless you want the whole thing to get infected and gross.

If it does get infected and gross, we expect a pic. :cool:

tzeentchgiant
03-05-2005, 18:50
Actually medicine does still use super glue I know two people who have had it used on them, I works in just the same way as butterfly stitches holding two pieces together.

P.S very nice work with the nail and the foot, anything that doesn't kill you can only make you stronger, by the by you did remove the nail, I still have a piece of pencil in my foot from when I was younger :(

TG