PDA

View Full Version : psy-tyrant

testosteronicon
31-08-2008, 20:31
Hi!

I just thought of a nice conversion idea for a flyrant, but want to check with you guys to see if there's compatability fluff wise; 'ere we go:

Got a bit inspired while playing DoW and teleporting terminators => pretty scary stuff for the enemy.

How scary wouldn't it be if it was a bloodthirsty Hive tyrant instead?
One that later can move extra quickly by making short warp jums (just like eldar warp spiders). The latter would justify the 12 inch move for the rest of the game.

Now, is this cool or lame?

How would "shadow in the warp" effect such a tyrant? Making it safe to jump in the warp or making it impossible?

It is very tempting to make a tyrant that comes out a portal or with some other cool special effects on it's base.....:D

Has anyone already made such a "Psyrant"? Pictures?

Malevon
31-08-2008, 20:44
Uhh, I think that's kind of dumb, but you'll find you're significantly less likely to get "unfluffy" called on you if you have beautifully converted and painted models.

Bregalad
31-08-2008, 20:58
Tyranids can shock by burrowing through the earth or by landing in a drop pod. So shocking is no problem for Tyranids. Neither 12" movement.

Warp jumps sound improbable though, never any indication in fluff.

testosteronicon
31-08-2008, 21:01
You're absoultely right! i Burrowing tyrant is a lot more probable, but would it then look like some tiny trygon or something? any suggestion to such a conversion?

Charax
31-08-2008, 21:03
If the Hive Mind had absorbed the ability to allow its creatures to make direct jumps through warpspace, that would have significant (and highly negative) consequences for the whole Tyranid Modus Operandi (for a start, Mycetic spores become obsolete)

We haven't seen those consequences, ergo they don't have that ability.

Possible? yes, we know there are creatures capable of teleportation through the warp (Croatalids, Psychneuein, Enslavers)

Likely? I highly doubt it, and as for the shadow of the warp - well, chances are that if any Tyranids had the ability to teleport, it would have been adapted to the degree that the Shadow doesn't affect it.

Ultimately, it's your army: do what you want, just don't expect people to accept it easily.

Faustburg
31-08-2008, 23:51
Teleport sphincters in the old Advanced Space Crusade/Tyranid Attack board games...

They must also have Warp capabilities for their fleets as well, otherwise they would not be a threat to anyone. Som yeah, they have teleportation powers to draw from in their gene pool already.

But... really...

If this is an attempt to justify making a flyrant without having to add wings it is just utterly pathetic...

testosteronicon
01-09-2008, 05:02
If this is an attempt to justify making a flyrant without having to add wings it is just utterly pathetic...

It's not. It's just asking for what people think before I eventually start with a huge conversion project that will cost a lot of money....

It's also a lot more difficult to create a portal/energy arcs etc than merely adding a set of dragon wings.

Chem-Dog
01-09-2008, 05:48
Teleport sphincters in the old Advanced Space Crusade/Tyranid Attack board games...

They must also have Warp capabilities for their fleets as well, otherwise they would not be a threat to anyone. Som yeah, they have teleportation powers to draw from in their gene pool already.

The Teleport Sphincters! There were tunnel/organisms mentioned in one of GW's 90's novels (Space Marine, I Think) where it was hypothesised that the organism creates a warp gateway thus allowing travel beyond the range of the craft-beast, my memory's a bit hazy.

I don't think Tyranids have anything like FTL travel, certainly no actual warp "Jump". Theirs is the aeons long drift between galaxies, in the cold dead emptiness of space! They rely on the overawing power of the shadow in the warp to effectively paralyse a world as they finally close in, effectively, you don't see them till it's too late!

testosteronicon, The gamer in me wants to say no, it doesn't sound right but I can't, it's perfectly reasonable (within the very large and generally vaguely defined confines of 40K) to say your particular fleet has eaten some potent psyker race and developed this odd ability, that this is a direct forced evolutionary adaptation to anti flyer doctrine (the Tyrant Guard are supposed to be a direct response to the "Shoot the Big Ones" doctrine) or to say that the Psyrant is a mutant aberration unique to your splinter fleet, possibly as a direct result of prolonged exposure to the warp (by way of a potent warp storm or similar). The SotW isn't an issue either, it's there it permeates their very being, every fibre of a Tyranid construct is attuned to SotW, it's so totally not an issue.

Clockwork-Knight
01-09-2008, 06:43
No, that is wrong, and always comes up. Tyranids can and do travel in the warp. It's stated so in all their codizes in every edition. Also, per Battlefleet Gothic Armada, Tyranids can also teleport, making the organism with this support ability still existent.

Any other claim about Tyranids not being able to use the Warp for traveling is wrong. They did since Rogue Trader, continued to do in 2nd, 3rd and 4th edition, and with absolute certainity they still will do so in 5th, 6th, 7th and more edition.

The Shadow in the Warp only hinders any other war-power. Tyranid warp signals and such still function without any problem.

Xandros
01-09-2008, 06:55
Make it a big-headed brain bug and give it warp blast. I'm all for it!