PDA

View Full Version : Dogs of War still legal?

Lord Malorne
31-08-2008, 23:49
Is the old WD Dogs of war list still legal for games? (the most recent one...a few years ago oddly) as the storm of chaos book list are apparently no longer valid.

Secondly are the rules for including a hireling wizard in another army correct in that it counts as a rare?

Thanks for the help.

Bloodknight
01-09-2008, 00:13
Yeah, it's still legal. The SoC lists have been surpassed by new army books (except the Hordes book, but that is coming), but there is no alternative to the DoW list yet.

You can't hire DoW characters outside a DoW army except the RoR Characters like the Truthsayer ;)

Lord Malorne
01-09-2008, 00:15
It says in the dogs of war list any unit can be used from the list and counts as a rare, sadly I no longer own my copy so I am not sure about it.

Are any of the SoC list still usable then or are they all unusable? (poor doomseeker buyers)

Condottiere
01-09-2008, 01:09
The PDF files downloadable from GW sites are still legal.

Coragus
01-09-2008, 02:18
Conditionally legal. Notice that the DoW army is NOT listed as a legal, stand alone army for the US Grand Tournaments, nor are they listed as a separate army on the US GW website. However, DoW is shown as an army on the UK, German, and Australian sites (the ones I looked at). They probably are a viable army, but if I wanted to take them to a tourny, I'd check to make sure they're allowed first.

Condottiere
01-09-2008, 08:40
I gotta remember to add caveats.

Lord Malorne
01-09-2008, 14:03
Conditionally legal. Notice that the DoW army is NOT listed as a legal, stand alone army for the US Grand Tournaments, nor are they listed as a separate army on the US GW website. However, DoW is shown as an army on the UK, German, and Australian sites (the ones I looked at). They probably are a viable army, but if I wanted to take them to a tourny, I'd check to make sure they're allowed first.

Its not for tourney play just for club play and was going to add an evil mage to an army and was wondering if the DoW list was a valid list nowadays, thanks for the knowlege!

Makaber
01-09-2008, 22:57
Well, it's not like the Miniature Police Attack Squad is going to burst through your backdoor if you use them, in either case.

But for tournaments it's up to the organiser, as for everything else. Though I can't see why anybody would object, they're hardly a spectacularly powerful army.

Condottiere
02-09-2008, 02:55
The whole being less than its parts - but cherry picking by other armies does give them capabilities not envisioned by the original AB designers.

Darktheos
02-09-2008, 17:38
I love how GW is systemmaticly getting rid of DOW in tournys IF your armybook lists DOW in it you can use Giants or Ogres, is the GW rule

EvC
02-09-2008, 19:03
Its not for tourney play just for club play and was going to add an evil mage to an army and was wondering if the DoW list was a valid list nowadays, thanks for the knowlege!

DoW is certainly valid (If a bit weak, but I can't see anyone complaining that you've turned up with a weak army!), but you can't just add the characters to your regular army. Just the main units themselves.

Condottiere
03-09-2008, 01:09
Definitely can't take the characters - otherwise Dwarves will be fielding Wizards, and we can't have that.

Lord Malorne
03-09-2008, 13:10
I thought as much but it does not say you can't, it just says the units count as rare in other armies. (units as a blanket rule not units as in specifics).

As to heroes as rares the albion mages are like Lv3 and 4 wizards as rare choices for like 175 points or something like that.

EvC
03-09-2008, 13:56
Yeah, you can take the Albion Mages, but anyone trying to use one against me had better have a damn good reason for including one. "Because it works quite nicely alongside Thorek" is not good enough for me ;)

Lord Malorne
04-09-2008, 14:21
I Have wood elves that are evil and wanted a fire mage to bring burny death to any tree that steps out of line!

but the troothsayer is good for the woodies I suppose.

Harwammer
04-09-2008, 20:10
Characters are a type of unit (according to 7th edition brb), thus DoW characters can be taken as DoW units. They take up a rare. However, since they are characters they still take up hero slots.

If this were not the case high elves would be able to field 5 lvl 4s in 2k points, and that'd be crazycore :)

Condottiere
04-09-2008, 21:11
No - generic characters cannot be taken by non-DoW armies.

You're actually thinking of RoR units that happen to be characters, like Gotrek & Felix (rare), Witch-hunter & friend (rare) and pissed-off elf & oversized gecko (2 hero slots and a rare).

Lord Zarkov
04-09-2008, 23:10
Generic characters are still units as are all characters whaterver the army, and hence as per the DOW rules ('...may field units from the DOW list...'). Taking them opens a huge can of worms on what choice it counts as (mainly whether it takes up a character slot). It would be best to discuss it with your opponets/local gaming group first.

Lijacote
04-09-2008, 23:19
Marc from down the street got arrested for playing Dogs of War. He did it in a friendly game, for shame...

Condottiere
05-09-2008, 01:20
DoW characters and non-DoW armies has been covered in an FAQ, I forget which. The short answer is no. RoR units which happen to be characters are allowed.

MrBigMr
05-09-2008, 03:46
At least around here we allow DoW in tournaments as both allies and stand alone armies.

Lord Zarkov
05-09-2008, 15:50
DoW characters and non-DoW armies has been covered in an FAQ, I forget which. The short answer is no. RoR units which happen to be characters are allowed.

Not in official one AFAIK, juts a direwolf one back in the days when half the stuff they produced directly contradicted what GW said

Gorbad Ironclaw
05-09-2008, 15:59
does give them capabilities not envisioned by the original AB designers.

So does picking armies just from one list, judging by some of the balance issues that comes up :p

Anyway, the DoW rules gives you the details of who can use what, and that's all you need to bring them.

Lord Malorne
06-09-2008, 11:34
So what does RAI and RAW come up with?

Condottiere
06-09-2008, 11:51
Check with the tournament organizers, if and what you can take on your list. Otherwise, considering the usual win-loss ratio, I don't see any reason for anyone to object to someone else playing a DoW list.

Lord Malorne
06-09-2008, 12:02
Check with the tournament organizers, if and what you can take on your list. Otherwise, considering the usual win-loss ratio, I don't see any reason for anyone to object to someone else playing a DoW list.

I am NOT playing the DoW in a tourney as I have said.

Anyone else?

MrBigMr
06-09-2008, 17:31
GW has DoW stuff up on their website (don't they, haven't checked for a while), so that alone should indicate they still support it as an army, even though won't allow it into tournaments (just like Kroot mercs, Armoured Companies and Deathworld Veterans in 40K). So if you ask me, and a bunch of blueskirts I know, DoW is perfectly good army and if your opponent has a problem with it, it's their problem and not the army's.