PDA

View Full Version : Nurgle and Flamers

Firaxin
01-09-2008, 12:12
I was creating a Deathguard armylist when I had the thought, why does anyone worshiping nurgle ever use a flamer/heavy flamer?

Fire is used throughout our history, by the Imperials, and in countless other fictional universes as a method of cleansing. In the novels for example, flamers and other extremely hot weapons like plasma and orbital bombardments are arguably the most effective weapons against nurgle.

So if a guardsman is being eaten away inside by whatever virus has been unleashed in advance of a nurgle invasion, why would a worshiper of nurgle burn that virus into oblivion instead of hastening its growth?

In my opinion, they would have weapons similar in design and function to a flamer but that spewed corrosive bile and maggots and the like.

My question is, how effective would this actually be, in game terms at least?

Would it be higher strength than a flamer, because the viral elements would take down even those with the stoutest constitution?

Would it have a lower AP value, because the corrosive bile would melt through armor faster than a flamer could?

Or what?

totgeboren
01-09-2008, 12:35
I would say at best, it should be like S3 ap-. But because its warpmajiks it could count as S4 Ap5. So is would have the exact same profile as a flamer. :P

But seriously. Would you rather get sprayed by napalm or puke from a really sick dude?

And trying to mix acid and maggots might end up poorly for the maggots.

anyways, if you want Plague Marines with corrosive bile sprayers, just use the rules for flamers. Im sure the effect would be about the same gamewise.

Koryphaus
01-09-2008, 12:54
Burns can get infected.. And what better way to shake the faith of a population, than by using foul versions of the weapons considered so holy by the Imperium? The more that lose faith in the Big E, get killed by the plague of unbelief.

Firaxin
01-09-2008, 14:13
I realize burns can be infected, but I figured that didn't count because what is the likelyhood that you're going to survive contact with a plaguemarine after being roasted by its flamer?

Xandros
01-09-2008, 15:46
Nurgle is ultimately about inevitable death and fear of death. Conventional weaponry promotes that quite nicely.

olmsted
01-09-2008, 16:18
also you run the risk of killing papa nurgles beloved diseases with flamers. im sure you would earn his wrath.