PDA

View Full Version : Biggest threat to the galaxy?

Captain Frankus
01-09-2008, 15:18
What do you think is the biggest threat to the galaxy? I think it's the nids or daemons.

loveless
01-09-2008, 15:29
The Necrons and the C'tan.

The C'tan had the galaxy once, only "freeing" it to the Enslavers so that they wouldn't destroy all of the life they needed to feed on.

Even with only 4 C'tan left, they're still a major threat as the only ways to kill one are to starve it (And how do you starve a creature that feeds on fear and dismay in the 41st Millenium?) or to have another C'tan eat it.

They can close off the Warp - be it through extended use of the Pariah gene, the Pylon Gates they attempted on Medusa V, or structures similar to the Cadian Gate. Seal off the Warp, you seal off Chaos, most Imperial navigation, the Hive Mind, the Eldar, etc.

It's not like Necrons are that easy to put down - whenever one takes enough damage not to auto-repair, it just phases out to the nearest Tomb World for repairs or a new body. And Tomb Worlds are no small matter. Each one houses hundreds of Necron Lords with their retainers. Not to mention, Tomb Worlds are everywhere...

Without tracking down every Tomb World and essentially blowing it to bits, there's not much to stand in the way of the C'tan and their ambition.

heretics bane
01-09-2008, 16:48
Itself is probebly the best option.

abasio
01-09-2008, 16:50
Probably the Imperium of Man

PondaNagura
01-09-2008, 16:59
games workshop's management team

i'd say nids, since while every other race is malicious with their intents, well maybe not orks as "boyz will be boyz"; but everyone else is more of a threat to themselves and those around them. however while each race is vieing for control of the galaxy, they arealso all native species to the galaxy, which breaks down into territorial disputes of power.
nids however are from beyond the edge of the galaxy, from the vast void that separates most galaxies, and their basic instincts are to consume all that they can in order to grow and perpetuate the species. they do not fight for glory, for defense, for land, they have nothing really to lose like all other races within 40k.

DapperAnarchist
01-09-2008, 17:28
Credit crunch.

][nquist0r
01-09-2008, 17:45
Agreed Nids have already destroyed one galaxy and are nigh unstoppable in numbers.

Firaxin
01-09-2008, 17:50
[nquist0r;2913117']Agreed Nids have already destroyed one galaxy and are nigh unstoppable in numbers.

"Dozens," actually, not just one.

Agreed though. Everyone else is fighting to rule the galaxy. Nids just want to eat it and move on. Thus, they are they greatest threat to the galaxy.

british nut
01-09-2008, 19:48
The orks if they could ally as one big horde..... that would be stupidly powerful

Captain Frankus
01-09-2008, 19:54
I can't believe I haven't heard the powers of chaos yet. They are dangerous because they can never die. They can alter the galaxy at will, why they haven't done that yet, I don't know. Plus if the Imperium of man falls, Daemons will be able to walk in both the warp and our plane freely. I don't think nids can consume they, Necrons can't feed on them either. Luckly the Imperium won't be falling anytime soon :rolleyes:....

Captain Frankus
01-09-2008, 19:56
I can't believe I haven't heard the powers of chaos yet. They are dangerous because they can never die. They can alter the galaxy at will, why they haven't done that yet, I don't know. Plus if the Imperium of man falls, Daemons will be able to walk in both the warp and our plane freely. I don't think nids can consume they, Necrons can't feed on them either. Luckly the Imperium won't be falling anytime soon right? RIGHT? RIIIGHT?!!?

Captain Frankus
01-09-2008, 19:59
Oops um..didn't mean to do that. Sorry

loveless
02-09-2008, 01:31
If the Nids consume everything, there's no more emotion to power the Chaos Gods, ergo they'll slowly die with nothing to toy with in reality, and the Hive Mind would expand to fill the void in the warp left by the Chaos God's demise. Theoretically, the Big Four could survive, but the Nids have no martial pride, no thought of excess (you can't say they're aware of their gluttony, really), no attempts at decay and rebirth, and, once completed with their conquest, no thoughts of change.

Ergo, the powers of Chaos would suffocate and die with the complete conquest of the Tyranids. Thus, the Tyranids must be stopped...expressly before they absorb the reproduction abilities of the Ork race...

---

That's just one end-game. I, as previously mentioned, prefer the end-game scenario where the C'tan succeed in sealing off the Warp, which, without access to the reality, would die out. A Dead Warp equals death to Chaos (no Ruinous Powers), death to the Orks (No Waaagh!), death to the Tyranids (no Hive Mind), all-but death to the Eldar, and utter enslavement to the other races.

The only other big end-game involves the Emperor reawakening and "cleaning up" the galaxy.

Chaos really _can't_ win, because they need conflict to survive. I suppose they could go on surviving by just fighting amongst themselves after they've obliterated all other life, but it just seems dull. The four powers know they can't defeat each other without causing the Realm of Chaos to collapse, so the best bet for a "Chaos win" is a massive 4-way stalemate with daemons half-heartedly fighting amongst each other. Really, Chaos isn't one of the big threats.

zoodog
02-09-2008, 02:03
I would have to go with nids as well, they will almost certainly have a greater impact on the galaxy and its current balances of power then anything else.

Realistically however it is whatever is currently attacking you.

Captain Frankus
02-09-2008, 02:20
Hmm..Forgot that the Chaos Gods feed off emotion. So ya the nids are the greater threat. So if the nids wipe out all life, both the C'Tan and the Chaos Gods would starve. No emotion to feed on

loveless
02-09-2008, 02:56
The C'tan _prefer_ emotion - they don't require it.

C'tan can feed off of any given energy source - life, stars, whatever.

The Nids have no interest in the C'tan since they have no biomass. Same with the Necrons.

The Necrons have little interest in the Tyranids because they don't have the right biometrics (or equivalent) that the C'tan look for. (Back-up: The Outsider's been surrounded by Hive Fleet Leviathan for ages but hasn't woken up (though there's the thought he's not asleep at all, but that's irrelevant at the moment)).

But, once again, you cut off the Warp, you destroy the Tyranids.

Basically, the run-down on end-games should probably go:
1. C'tan
2. Tyranids
3. The Imperium of Man
4. Orks (based on reproductive capabilities nearing immortality on a racial view)
5. Chaos

SwordJon
02-09-2008, 06:16
Basically, the run-down on end-games should probably go:
1. Orks kill C'tan after everyone else is dead
2. Orks kill Tyranids after everyone else is eat'd
3. Orks kill all dem stinkin' oomies, which is a shame because they're the only ones who could consistently put up a decent fight
4. Orks killin' Orks fer eternity, which, if we're honest with ourselves, is everyone's preferred end-game
5. Orks keep the Eye open and re-fortify the Cadian gate to use as a Colosseum-like sporting event for Orks who think they're 'ard enough to take on spikey marines and great big ugly fings

Sorry, I noticed a few inaccuracies, but I fixed them for you.

AdeptusOverton
02-09-2008, 09:08
I believe that end game will involve a war between the two oldest races in the galaxy namely the Eldar and the C'tan and their Necron minions its a war that the younger races wont get a look in on and that Chaos will watch from afar possibly whilst it is being waged the Tyranids will amass in force or a 14th Black Crusade will be launched from the warp occupying the younger races.

This will be the death kneel of the Eldar race their final great sacrifice for the Universe as a whole

xacatecas
02-09-2008, 09:26
or the harlequins get annoyed and decide the galaxy is better off without life full stop, and use the knowledge contained in the black library to explode the immaterium thus destroying existence.

on a more serious note, in a conflict between necrons and nids, the 'crons would win hands down, the nids would need biomass in order to replenish themselves, something which the 'crons lack.

Whitehorn
02-09-2008, 09:30
Pathetic bandwagons. Such as Chuck Norris.

Arkhar
02-09-2008, 09:49
As stated a above, the chaos gods feed on emotions. This is the main reason for them not to obliterate everything. If they do it, they will fall with everything. Thats the reason why Chaos is the biggest threat. They want this "game" to continue as long as possible and have been doing it since the dawn of times. It will never allow any other race like Tyranids succeed. The can't win, but can't lose either.

Dragonlv8
02-09-2008, 11:50
I think, Age.
Everyone keeps fighting for another billion x 21 years, stars die, planets freeze over.
Not even Nids have a use for icecubes floating through space.

AdeptusOverton
02-09-2008, 13:45
Agreed but eventually the C'Tan are going to make one great concerted move against who is yet to be seen but like I said before my moneys on the Eldar

Sir_Turalyon
02-09-2008, 15:16
Everyone and none. Whatever Imperium-centric fluff must be saying, Necrons, Chaos and Tyranids will be as set on destroying each other as much as on exterminating less agressive fractions. My best bet is that they will be holding each other in check. And even if one of these three menages to beat other two and start seriously threatening the galaxy, there are still Orks left by Old Ones to defend it. Galaxy is full of Orks fully capable of kicking out everyone else if they bother to unite, but too bored and unfocused to even think about uniting. If one of Chaos / Necrons /C'tan present themselves as enemy so powerful that there is no fun fighting anyone else, they will brong upon themselves Orks from all over the galaxy.

Chapter Master Leonidas
02-09-2008, 15:55
I'd have to go with either Orks or tyranid for roughly the same reason. Neither race can be reasoned with - Nids live to propogate, nearly mindlessly so, Orks live to fight, also, nearly mindlessly so. Neither society is 'stable' since Nids feed off their surroundings until there's no more to feed off, then move on. Orks are in a constant state of warfare, from personal scraps between individuals to the largest of waaaaaghs! The devouring of life - not tyranid is the Tyranid way, and War is the ork way.

The second thing that makes them so dangerous is their ability to 'infect' the environments they come in contact with. Nids gather local organic matter and begin breeding almost immediately, nothing short of exterminatus at that point gets the job done. Kill an Ork and release its spores to the wind. Eitherway there's almost no guarentee that winning the "battle" means you have won the war against these races.

Hrw-Amen
02-09-2008, 18:01
The biggest threat to the galaxy is time and entropy.

loveless
02-09-2008, 18:32
Agreed but eventually the C'Tan are going to make one great concerted move against who is yet to be seen but like I said before my moneys on the Eldar

Oh, they'll split it up a bit.

The Void Dragon will take on the Eldar due to his natural hatred of them and the fact that they were the ones that forced him into stasis.

The Deceiver seems happy to screw with humanity for the time being.

The Nightbringer's going to go after anything that doesn't know to fear it (maybe, like the Orks, who know no fear of death (assuming they're descended from the Krork)) or anything that has a particularly tasty fear reaction.

The Outsider's going to have his hands full of Hive Fleet Leviathan when he breaks out.

So if they go in concert, it'll probably be a strike against the Warp and Chaos.

Ravensgard
02-09-2008, 23:19
Nids and necrons, they have the same goal = to devour the galaxy

necrons take upon them all life energy, even from grass, the nids eat everything, even grass.

So we have 2 major threads, one from within our galaxy(necrons on their tomb worlds) and one from without our galaxy (the nids from the void).

"The Imperium of Men is beset by forces from within and without", it suddenly gets another feeling.

The daemons are a threat too, but if humanity is smart, they would join arms with the eldar to hold off chaos. And we don't know what the Ethereal can do against deamons.
And as said, when a god doesn't have any followers, it dies ...

the_reaper
02-09-2008, 23:46
Nids and necrons, they have the same goal = to devour the galaxy

necrons take upon them all life energy, even from grass, the nids eat everything, even grass

Dammit, now i think of Tyranids as space cows, thanks.

I thinks its the C'Tan, as most have said, if they can close up the warp, then every things gone, well, no-one can communicate, and everyone will die

-reaper

Askari
04-09-2008, 01:03
The Outsider's going to have his hands full of Hive Fleet Leviathan when he breaks out.

Hive Fleet Leviathan deliberately missed going near the Outsider. They fear it. Or the Hive Mind does at least.

I think people are giving Chaos too little credit as well. Unlike the Tyranids and Necrons, they don't want the galaxy to die, just to continue feeding them, on and on, for eternity. The Chaos Gods, by now, are self-perpetuating, they don't need the sustenance of reality, as they can fight and waste their power fighting each other in the Warp. Indeed, the very fact that the Necrons want to shut out the warp should mark them as a threat.

Then again, we haven't really seen the Necrons full power. The Tyranids full power is unknown, perhaps the Hive Fleets are just scouting parties or maybe the last remnants of their race, trying to scavenge food for survival. However it is said that the Necrons are only just re-awakening, and only the Eldar have any idea what they could bring.

pityedbythedicegods
04-09-2008, 01:16
I think the dark eldar are a pretty big threat:p.
Ok now seriously it will be 'nids or necrons.

Mercer
04-09-2008, 12:24
Necrons, followed by Tyranids close second.

As others have mentioned, Necrons close the warp and chaos, eldar, psykers and tyranids will have problems.

Tyranids because they will have everything living, however, necrons tomb worlds are on dead worlds, and necrons have no biomass, so tyranids vs necrons is a dead loss for the tyranids.

Mercer

Hakar
06-09-2008, 16:28
The Jokareo will end us all.

ChaplainVarnus
06-09-2008, 16:46
Space Marines.
Another heresy?

Actually, since that meddling Roboute Guilliman made the codex astartes, theirs not ever gonna be another heresy

Adra
06-09-2008, 17:54
Binge Drinking.

StarshipBOb
06-09-2008, 19:38
*turns on sarcas-ometer*

Tyranids + C'tan = All you can eat seafood buffet.

C'tan/Necrons are the bigger threat because the C'tan did everything.

DarkMatter2
07-09-2008, 10:07
As of this moment the Imperium of Man has exterminated more civilizations within the galaxy than any other faction.

For the average alien race, the IoM is the biggest threat bar none.

Santhenar
08-09-2008, 00:03
I reckon Nids are the biggest threat as they simply want to eat everything in the galaxy and move on, whereas the Necrons will want to keep something living to replenish like they did last time they went to sleep.

Also wouldn't the Nightbringer like another crack at Khaine seeing as they're old friends and all ;)

mightygnoblar
08-09-2008, 00:27
too bad though as poor mr bringer is never gonna get his rematch seeing how khaine is dead, slaughtered by the hand of slaanesh when s/he/it awoke ;)

Seriously though i beleive it is the demons who are the biggest threat, as they have the power to seep the warp into the galaxy, and once warp space overtakes the material universe the gods themselves have free reign over reality itself leaving necrons and other races in a heap of trouble as the C'tan cant exist in warp space

That and once the emperor finally dies and his hideously massive psychic presence becomes the fifth god of chaos the warp truely will rule all

El_Machinae
08-09-2008, 01:05
The orks have had millions of years to take over the galaxy. If they were going to do it, they would have done it already.

The greatest threat to the Imperium is their lack of progress. Each planet will chew through their nonsustainable resources without advancing the technology to supply alternates. More and more planets will fall into pre-industrial technologies, since they need nonrenewables to maintain their industrial status.

They need education and technology to stave off the Long Night.

Brother Siccarius
08-09-2008, 02:30
What do you think is the biggest threat to the galaxy? I think it's the nids or daemons.

Constantly repeated topics;)

Threat to the galaxy at large? Probably chaos or nids, since both tend to be indiscriminate about destroying the galaxy itself as well as the inhabitants.

Luna de hierro
08-09-2008, 11:04
Biggest threat to the galaxy?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/Luna_de_hierro/fluffy.jpg

death__lord
08-09-2008, 11:17
Threat to the galaxy at large? Probably chaos or nids, since both tend to be indiscriminate about destroying the galaxy itself as well as the inhabitants.

What about Necrons?

The biggest threat to the galaxy is the Emperor dying, at least according to Codex: Chaos Daemons.

Lord Malorne
08-09-2008, 11:27
Necrons.

Everything is going according to plan, gotta love the deceiver ;).

Darkhorse
08-09-2008, 13:26
The Eldar and Imperium both have "end time" prophesies so they're out.
Chaos isn't it because they the moment it starts to look like they'll win they'll attack each other, or before if they think gain an advantage/get some cheap laughs.
Necrons, tried and failed previously, the group created to wipe them out (Orks) are wildly superior to them and the Necrons are slowly degenerating with the process accelerating.
'Nids have also visited the Galaxy before and life survived. They'll likely withdraw once obtaining food costs more than it gains, besides they are limited in where the warp will take them.
That brings us to Tau and Orks, Orks could well mop up after some catastrophe knocks out the Imperium, They may even be the cause of the Catastrophe if a Waaagh descends on Terra.
The Tau might not seek the destruction of the Galaxy though they may cause it through tampering with something in ignorance.

darth mortis
09-09-2008, 10:27
well im reading a lot on here about the necrons and the nids which i think are fair comments but if the imperium was realy on its last legs surely they could create a virus weapon that just affected the nids and use germ warefare against them to almost wipe them out?
on the necrons couldnt they create a massive emp device to short out there living shels or do there living shels not work like that? ( sorry im not a necron player and dont know much fluff about them ).
i think the only way the imperium could weather such a storm is to create such weapons for there survival but the imperium is a bit backwords in the technology department so the only ones i could see doing this is the tau?.

sorry if there is any spelling mistakes

Darkhorse
09-09-2008, 19:44
They developed the Hellfire virus (2nd Ed.) the problem with that is that any population of organsms will develop immunity to viral agents within a very short period.
Necrons are probably hardened against EMP, their major problem is that they degenerate with each reincarnation becoming mindless automatons.