PDA

View Full Version : Skeletons: Clawing out of the ground?

Arisen
01-09-2008, 21:15
I heard you could make skeletons clawing themselves out of the ground to get 20-30 models from each box instead of 10 because you only needed part of the skeleton. However what I dont understand is that you can only use the arms and heads so the legs are wasted, and you stil need at least an arm and a bit of head/body so I dont see you gaining much more than 5 or 6 skeletons unless you get a single hand poking out of the mud and say it is a skeleton or something... Can someone please explain what you do or possibly even give links to pictures? Thanks very much!

bork da basher
01-09-2008, 21:31
well i assume the sprues come with alot of spare bits, skulls, arms etc and with those bits you could just have a skull and his arms poking out of the earth. just build up the sane on the base so its like the body is pushing up aswell its just not exposed yet.

Stinkfoot
01-09-2008, 21:38
20-30 seems a bit much, but I think it's fairly normal to get at least a couple of extra skeletons out of each box. I don't really know to be honest, since all of my skeletons are from the old 6th edition kit. That box said it made 20, and I got 25 or so out of each box I bought.

Arisen
01-09-2008, 21:54
Thats what i thought that 5 or so more seemed likely... Apparently someone got 50 out of the 20 skeleton box which seems fairly unlikely... Basically the problem is that I have no idea how many skeletons I will raise in an average game so I dont want to buy too few and lose the advantage of summoning, but I dont want to buy far too many as i am poor enough as it is, and this new army is looking to be about 100-150, even over ebay... So, it seems perfect to be able to buy 2 or 3 boxes and have 50 skeletons, but...

Fire Harte
01-09-2008, 22:14
Now, conider this, you can have a skeleton regiment arising from a river. Such as the diagram I have produced for you. If any of you want to do save this image go ahead. This is easier to produce and you can get at least 20-30 models out of it! Also, you can add a bit more flavour to the models by adding plants, and as for the underwater plants, I would assume that the magical energies that guide the skeletons helps them through the river/stream with ease.

Some may like it, some may not...

The Inspector
01-09-2008, 22:58
How many 'bonus' models you can scrape out of a box is dependent on how far you would push what constitutes as a model. Some players might pat you on the back for ingenious use of your bitz box, others will be very dissatisfied fighting a bunch of arms stuck on to bases.

I myself have made a few extra skellies from boxes; torso-up from the ground, clutching one of the many-spare weapons and shields. I may make a few arms and weapons springing from the earth if I feel I desperately need the models in the future.

theunwantedbeing
01-09-2008, 23:12
Depends how many extra bases you got.
The new box of 10 should have 10 bases...tricky to get more than 10 models when you have only 10 bases.

As for partial models...the odd one of 5 models at the back of a unit that's basically just hands and a head or whatever, appearing to be clawing their way out of the ground looks cool. But a unit of more than the back rank being those just looks silly.

It works better for zombies of course, but best not to do things like a head with hands for legs......just looks like you took all the spare bits and stuck them together, which never looks good.
(one guy did this, it looks aweful)

Kronos
01-09-2008, 23:51
I'm not too sure but i did get quite a few out of one box, what i did was try and clutter the base with more than one arm/skull/ spear, at least in those that only would have a skull.

Here are some pics on my log if your intrested http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155582

Duke Georgal
02-09-2008, 02:32
If you use just 1 arm or a head poking out, and are happy with that, you can get 25 models from the 10 model box.

I personally do not approve.

At minimum you should have half a torso, two arms, and a head.

Stinkfoot
02-09-2008, 04:30
With my skellies digging their way out, I like to use arms and a tombstone (I'd imagine those are in the new kit). It looks silly with a head, and I try not to use more than a couple such models in a unit (and never part of the unit's starting models). I think it looks pretty cool though, and it's easy enough to do.

Rioghan Murchadha
02-09-2008, 06:09
Entirely depends. If done well, it can look great. There was pics of one regiment floating around where the back rank was tombstones, and each successive rank was a bit further out of the ground until it hit full skellies at the front. The modeller went all out though, as he posed everything very dynamically, and modelled the disturbed earth/grass etc. on the bases and stuck to the newly risen models.

On the other hand, if you just glue some parts to a base and drybrush them, it looks pretty cheap.

That said, who really cares? I'd rather people play than spend all their time concerned that their army doesn't meet some internet forum proscribed aesthetic.

Arisen
02-09-2008, 13:57
Hmm i kinda see what you all mean... So, would anyone tell me what bits you get in a box of skeletons as since it is 20 i would assume 20 legs, 20 arms, 10 heads, 10 torsos etc, but from what you have said you get spares of some?? Also I think the idea of having them pulling themselves out of the gruond is good, and I would be tempted to make the starting unit normall then the rest of the skeletons clawing out of the ground so that when I summon them, they look freshly summoned (I am using the power where skeletons can go over their starting numbers and my main tactic is massive skeleton units :P)

march10k
02-09-2008, 14:52
Well...that won't work for tomb kings...my skeletons don't rise from graveyards, they walk out of temples and pyramids and such. I guess it's a cheap way to bulk out on models, but I don't think it would look that impressive, and I like my models to impress (since my generalship often fails to :D )

xragg
03-09-2008, 08:51
I have always wondered why other armies dont do this. Glue some foilage on a base and stick a wood elf head and an arm coming out. Yep, the wood elf is just appearing out of his hiding spot in the bushes! Sounds dumb, but thats how I feel sometimes when I see ppl who overdo the skeletons coming out of the ground thing. Like ppl have said, a few here and there look cool, but dont overdo it.

Griefbringer
03-09-2008, 10:00
I have always wondered why other armies dont do this.

I once proposed following as some of the cheapest armies available:

- Skaven clan Eshin ninja stealth force: buy a bag of 20x20 mm bases, paint them and flock them.
- Wood elf forest spirit force: buy an assortment of 25x25, 40x40 and 50x50 mm bases. Go to forest, pick a bunch of sticks, dry them and glue them to the bases.

One could also claim that the VC ethereals could be presented by plain bases, since they are supposed to be pretty immaterial as it is.

Arisen
03-09-2008, 17:17
- Skaven clan Eshin ninja stealth force: buy a bag of 20x20 mm bases, paint them and flock them.

lol good idea haha

Schelle
03-09-2008, 21:37
I did just that with my zombie, skeleton and crypt ghoul units and it looks wicked. I did use a lot of green stuff, sand, flock and small stones to create a more dramatic effect. Also used the occasional tomb stone to create a bit diversion. One of my crypt ghouls even looks like he's crawling out of an unearthed casket with a skeleton bone in his hand, just had a bit of a quick snack:D

I love to convert and this is conversion heaven. Although I must say that if you want to do a good job you'll get no more than 5 to 6 skellies or crypts more out of one box. Zombies you'll get a bit more, maybe 10 more as with zombies even a part of a hand or head will do just fine.

And I agree in only using the back rank or two for this.

Conotor
04-09-2008, 03:28
I saw a guy do it with the rearward ranks of his unit, getting farther out and then all the way out in the front. I used the idea for my sarri, who will be swarming out of a swamp.

Gustav Kohn
04-09-2008, 04:58
As soon as I can find models of pregnant women I will have my empire troops being born right in the middle of the battle! That way I only have to use empire heads.

Honestly though I agree with the don't overdo it but it can look cool if done well.

Embalmed
04-09-2008, 08:16
I have always wondered why other armies dont do this. Glue some foilage on a base and stick a wood elf head and an arm coming out. Yep, the wood elf is just appearing out of his hiding spot in the bushes!

Yeah you just gave me a great idea, I'll model an Ogre as just a flocked base with footprints on it and when someone asks I'll just say he's away taking a wizz :p

EmperorNorton
04-09-2008, 08:25
I did just that with my zombie, skeleton and crypt ghoul units and it looks wicked. I did use a lot of green stuff, sand, flock and small stones to create a more dramatic effect. Also used the occasional tomb stone to create a bit diversion. One of my crypt ghouls even looks like he's crawling out of an unearthed casket with a skeleton bone in his hand, just had a bit of a quick snack:D

I love to convert and this is conversion heaven. Although I must say that if you want to do a good job you'll get no more than 5 to 6 skellies or crypts more out of one box. Zombies you'll get a bit more, maybe 10 more as with zombies even a part of a hand or head will do just fine.

And I agree in only using the back rank or two for this.

Could we get some pictures of that, please?

soots
04-09-2008, 08:39
I did this with zombies.

Got like double the amount of models by buying a box of zombies and a packet of ogre size bases.

Then you use the gravestones and cut some zombies up and make it look like theyre coming out of the graves (1-2 zombies per ogre base and a gravestone). Look sweet, cheap, easy to deploy/remove and easy to paint.

Arisen
04-09-2008, 17:17
all sounds really cool, could anyone get pics of this being used on skeletons? Thanks!

Schelle
04-09-2008, 21:30
I'll see what I can do to get some pics guys

Kronos
04-09-2008, 21:47
all sounds really cool, could anyone get pics of this being used on skeletons? Thanks!

here you go, though i did post a link to my log too see them :mad: lol

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n431/Titanicus_Kronos/Vampire%20Counts%20Log/003.jpg

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n431/Titanicus_Kronos/Vampire%20Counts%20Log/DSCI0003.jpg

savage_orc
04-09-2008, 22:10
my freind did this as a conversion idear but put grave stones on the bases so its not so bad but I think you can overdo it a couple in each unit cool. hole units just no

mooze
05-09-2008, 01:12
I saw an army where the first rank of skeletons was standing, the second still half in the ground, the third rank just the odd skull or arm poking up and the rear ranks just a base with sand glued to it. That's a cheap unit!

Demrush
05-09-2008, 01:26
Its doable..maybe not 30 models but I think a solid 5-10 more is easily doable and would look nice. You just have to make sure your basing is good and you can even add some of the zombie graveyard bits and it'll look great.