PDA

View Full Version : Unit Frontage

bnrweimann
02-09-2008, 02:05
Hello all,

Been a long time 40K player, but just getting into WFB. I'm about half way through painting a Dwarf Army and will have my first game this weekend.

I'm planning my unit sizes and have watched a few games at the local hobby store. The norm seems to be 5-man fronts for infantry units. However, when I've looked in the rule book and my army book, but there doesn't seem to be a required size. Local players state that "It used to be 4-across, but now it's 5." No one can seem to come up with a page #, etc to prove that though. Is there a required frontage, or is it totally up to the player.

semersonp
02-09-2008, 02:55
BfSP brb pg 38

combat result bonuses

'extra rank'
if your unit's formation is at least five models wide, you may claim a bonus of +1 for each rank beyond the first...

so it can be as many/few models as you like... but if you'd like to add 1 to 3 rank bonus to your tally they need to be 5 wide...

nobody in your gaming group could find this? i'd raise an eyebrow at that, personally...

get 'em in gear! :)

Condottiere
02-09-2008, 02:59
There are optimal frontages for certain purposes, such as 7 for a fighty infantry column.

02-09-2008, 17:31
its not required.

you can have a front of one model it just gives no bennifit.

the minimum 5 front is so you can get the rank bonuses