PDA

View Full Version : Help Me "Bone Up" on Tomb Kings (2000pt)

MadDogMike
02-09-2008, 18:04
Well, I am finally trying to slip a little more into Fantasy from 40K, and I decided Tomb Kings looked like a rather neat army to play with. However, seeing as how I'm new to TK and Fantasy in general, figured I'd ask for some help coming up with a list to buy towards. Here so far is my first tentative attempt:

1 Tomb Prince @ 184 Pts
General; Light Armour; Shield
1 Spear of Antarhak
EDIT: Doh! Can't believe I accidently deleted the fact he was in a chariot! *bonks head*

6 Chariots @ 290 Pts
Full Command Squad

1 Liche High Priest @ 340 Pts
Hierophant
1 Neferra's Plaques of Mighty Incantations
1 Goldon Ankhra
1 Cloak of the Dunes

1 Liche Priest @ 148 Pts
1 Skeletal Steed
1 Brooch of the Great Desert (if you're paying the same points anyway, why not have the more evocatively named Dispel Scroll? ;))

1 Liche Priest @ 280 Pts
Casket of Souls

1 Screaming Skull Catapult @ 110 Pts
Skulls of the Foe

22 Skeleton Warriors @ 245 Pts
Full Command, Spear & Shield; Light Armour

18 Skeleton Warriors @ 159 Pts
Musician, Standard Bearer

1 Tomb Scorpion @ 85 Pts

I'm aiming for a magic-heavy shooty army as described in the army book (with an eye towards throwing Khalida in at higher point values). I shoot the hell out of the enemy and hope quantity does the trick. The priests primarily assist that (the priest on the Casket will keep the Skull Catapult double-shooting, the others are mobile enough to go wherever else needed) and raise casualties as needed. When the enemy approaches, the group with spears/shields/armor ideally intercepts them and acts as a fairly strong anvil while either one of the archer blocks or my chariots flanks/rear attacks (both if possible naturally). Tomb Scorpion in there for war machine or character assassination, I'm expecting it'll die a lot though.

I'm assuming my major difficulties at this point would be with high save targets (heavy knights will probably laugh at the arrow fire, though hopefully enough shots will encourage the occasional 1 more often) and I'm not sure how well I can deal with monstrous critters (though that looks like a problem for almost everybody in general without any). And of course anybody with high enough dispel dice; I'm guessing from my reading the right dwarf army would make me cry :D.

moose
02-09-2008, 18:15
1. If I was you i'd drop one of the skeleton blocks, I think two should be enough really.
2. I'd have two units of 4 chariots with the saving, and with the spare chariot from the box leave it empty so your prince can sit on it sometimes.
3. Your high liche priest is perfect!
4. I'd use a great weapon for your prince, and give him the collar of shapesh - practically a 4+ ward save. Spear of antahrak (or flail) works nicer for a chariot prince.
5. If you're worried about heavy cavalary, you could add some ushabti or tomb guard if you like the fluff. Otherwise you'll have to rely on chariot impact hits, or by giving your prince the blade of setep, or traditional combat res!

moose.

MadDogMike
02-09-2008, 19:42
1. If I was you i'd drop one of the skeleton blocks, I think two should be enough really.
2. I'd have two units of 4 chariots with the saving, and with the spare chariot from the box leave it empty so your prince can sit on it sometimes.

At 2000 pts I need 3+ core units I thought? And with a prince chariots still count as special units. None of the other core units look terribly appealing to a stand-and-shoot force, and they'd cost as many if not more points anyway. Will definitely keep in mind if I'm playing even slightly below a 2K fight though.

3. Your high liche priest is perfect!
4. I'd use a great weapon for your prince, and give him the collar of shapesh - practically a 4+ ward save. Spear of antahrak (or flail) works nicer for a chariot prince.

Doh! I'm an idiot, I accidently deleted the chariot entry from my prince while cleaning up the cut'n'paste from Army Builder. I'll take the praise for the spear on a chariot prince to apply here hopefully. I'd love the collar but it would take him over the 50pt limit; I'm hoping him adding up to a 3+ save with the chariot and having enough chariots for a "Look Out Sir!" will be enough (not counting the wounds the spear heals anyway of course). Glad you like the high priest; I wanted him mobile and survivable given how critical he is to the whole army as Hierophant.

5. If you're worried about heavy cavalary, you could add some ushabti or tomb guard if you like the fluff. Otherwise you'll have to rely on chariot impact hits, or by giving your prince the blade of setep, or traditional combat res!

Hmm, Tomb Guard look slightly better; I was planning to make them one of the first units I add when points allow. I could change my prince's weapon to Blade of Setep though with a little shaving. How much can I afford to trim my skellies? Will 20 for the "anvil" unit be fine?

march10k
03-09-2008, 09:21
One other thing. When I posted mine, it was pointed out that six chariots are too wide to really work, so you'll always have some in the back not doing anything more than providing the "look out, sir". I'd suggest splitting the force. If you can find the points for a seventh chariot, two units of four is nice!

Grom Hellscream
03-09-2008, 23:07
those skellies really don't need those spears, nor their light armor.
keeping them basic (cuz your just gonna raise 'em back anyway) saves you a whomping 44 points!

but yes, your heiro is good.
good hunting

moose
04-09-2008, 12:04
At 2000 pts I need 3+ core units I thought? And with a prince chariots still count as special units. None of the other core units look terribly appealing to a stand-and-shoot force, and they'd cost as many if not more points anyway. Will definitely keep in mind if I'm playing even slightly below a 2K fight though.

Ah yes, sorry I always play with a Tomb King.

I'd advise splitting one of the two units up then, sending them out on the field naked (kinda) just with bows.

MadDogMike
06-09-2008, 17:06
OK, based on feedback I went ahead and just made 3 blocks of 18 standard skeletons with musician/standard bearer. Gave me enough points to add another chariot, so I have 2 blocks of 4 including the Tomb Prince in one of the blocks. So final would be:

1 Tomb Prince @ 184 Pts
General; Light Armour; Shield; Chariot
1 Spear of Antarhak

3 Chariots @ 170 Pts
Full Command Squad

4 Chariots @ 210 Pts
Full Command Squad

1 Liche High Priest @ 340 Pts
Hierophant
1 Neferra's Plaques of Mighty Incantations
1 Goldon Ankhra
1 Cloak of the Dunes

1 Liche Priest @ 148 Pts
1 Skeletal Steed
1 Brooch of the Great Desert (if you're paying the same points anyway, why not have the more evocatively named Dispel Scroll? )

1 Liche Priest @ 280 Pts
Casket of Souls

1 Screaming Skull Catapult @ 110 Pts
Skulls of the Foe

18 Skeleton Warriors @ 245 Pts

1 Tomb Scorpion @ 85 Pts

Technically it works out to 2004 points, but I doubt anybody I play with is going to be anal about that in the slightest. I can drop 1 skeleton if it's too irritating to somebody :angel:.

Fanatic
06-09-2008, 22:35
Beware though any good defensive shooting army can probably out shoot this, for example my empire army has 2 cannons, and 2 units of handgunners which will probably kill either you catapult or casket by turn 2. If someone can dispel your shoot again spell then your in really big trouble. 6 dispell dice are nice though and a dispell scroll should last you decently against most army's. The chariots are really good though 4 d3 impact hits US 12 total? and also fear can break alot of units.

Lord Dan
06-09-2008, 23:09
You can't kill the casket, Fanatic.

I wouldn't worry so much about getting gunned down. Trying to outshoot the Empire with bows and catapults isn't the way to go. This is a sound list the way it is.

You only need 3 core. Chariots, I believe, are core? If so, drop one of the skeleton units.

I'm also confused. You have one unit of skeletons listed as 245, and the others listed as 159, but no listed differences between them.

Used Car Salesman
06-09-2008, 23:32
Chariots are not core because he doesn't have a Tomb King.
And ya that (more) expensive unit does seem kinda weird.
This army looks pretty nice too.

MadDogMike
10-09-2008, 03:17
I'm also confused. You have one unit of skeletons listed as 245, and the others listed as 159, but no listed differences between them.

*smacks forehead* OK, no more trying to cut and paste from Army Builder, I apparently suck badly at it :rolleyes:. All the skeletons should be 18 with regular weapons/bows and musician/standard for 159pts each, the other was left over from when I stuck spears/shields on one group.

As for the shooting, yeah I expect another shooty army could pulverize me, but given I'm just starting I suspect just about any army will pulverize me for a while :D. Fortunately most of the armies in my area tend to not go so much with firing, just close combat with a little fire support. I can probably manage to slaughter/inconvenience at least one war machine/shooter unit with a scorpion "it came from below", and part of the point of the casket is to make my opponent either reserve dispel dice to deal with it (letting me get off a few Righteous Smitings) or else start taking hits on everybody looking my way, which is pretty much EVERY shooter unit. He might get cute with marching troops and LOS, but depending on positioning this may just make it easier to force him into a "turn to face the casket or take a flank attack from chariots" situation. I also don't take any penalties to shooting for anything, so putting ridiculous cover between me and my opponent and the like won't do a thing to my (admittedly kinda crappy) shooting, but could ruin his. Obviously experience will probably guide my next army design; I am thinking at 2250 (which a lot of local tournaments here do) I can replace the tomb prince with Khalida and really start making people curse my shooting.