PDA

View Full Version : Imperial / Human expansion.

Hrw-Amen
02-09-2008, 18:06
I'm not sure if anything exists about this or not. If it does I cannot find it.

We know that the 'nids come from outside our own galaxy, but are there any stories about either the Imperium or pre imperium humans travelling to galaxies other than our own and setting up / exploring colonies there?

I imagine some rougue trader or mechanicus explorator fleet travelling to some of the little galaxies that orbit our own as they are not that far away and some are closer than if you travelled from one side of our own the the other. Andromeda is a long way off but getting nearer.

Not sure how the warp works outside of the galaxy, I assume that it is still there? In fact with no gravity wells or other bodies and stuff to disturb it, travelling to another galaxy could be a whole lot quicker than trying to navigate within one?

Firaxin
02-09-2008, 20:53
I suppose its possible that it happened during the DAoT and the records have been lost or purposefully hidden by the Admech. But since that time, no, we haven't ventured to other galaxies. Several have tried, like Lord Solar Macharius, but everyone who has has either turned back at the last moment or were never heard from again.

The problem is the astronomicon. It doesn't shine beyond our galaxy, so if we leave our galaxy, expecting it to get anywhere and return is basically like trying to send a 17th century ship across the southern pacific ocean with blindfolds on all the crewmembers the whole time and expecting them to reach India and then return to South America.

McPherson
02-09-2008, 21:12
Only thing I know of that comes close to Human's expanding outside of the galaxy is the Explorator probe sent out by the Adeptus Mechanicus 15000 years ago to explore outside of the galaxy.

All they seem to find is Ork radio signals - giving them the sad realisation that no matter how far man travels its likely the Ork's are already there or are on their way.

- McPherson

PondaNagura
02-09-2008, 23:47
you know i keep rereading that, but i can never figure out if that probe left the known galaxy (imperial space), or the entire galaxy.
ad DAoT humans didn't use an astronomicon, the warp was a bit calmer so they could make calculated jumps. i'd assume the further you get form our galaxy, the calmer the warp is, especially in the void. unless you know you happen to run into a nid fleet, but those are some pretty slim chances in a cosmic scale.
i'm sure some humans may have slipped beyond the galaxy, but that would be rather irrelevant to 40k, as i doubt they might have the numbers/know how to return, if they even want to.

Magos Explorator
02-09-2008, 23:59
Galaxies are spread very far apart, so unless the Dark Age of Technology had some really advanced stuff it's unlikely that any humanity who'd manage to settle in a different one would've had time to get back again!

Aeolian
03-09-2008, 01:15
Warp capable sleeper ships.

The answer is simple. If you can think of a reason why they wouldn't do it, then they didn't.

There isn't one, so I think they did.