PDA

View Full Version : writing on some necron fluff for a campaign

nazrag
03-09-2008, 09:16
Hi. As the topic says, I am writing on some fluff for a campaign my local gaming group is holding this autumn. So i wanted to hear what you guys thought about it, is it plausable etc..

......."The Necron threat in the Ravus system had been dorment for aeons. Noone knew when the necrons had come to the system or why they had come and noone cared as they'd been dorment for so long noone even knew they were there.
The reason for their awakening in the Ravus system were unknown, as is the norm with knowledge on the necron threat, but it is heavily considered to be a particular event that awoke them.

In the early M40s Magos Arktreus led a an excubater team into the caves of CB.014, the moon of Jasconis, as a response to a particulary interesting augar sweep of the core. The Magos conducted several more augars to confirm his findings. Confronting Magos General Atroobax with his findings and the promises of great mineral wealth to be found, he was given command of an Adeptus Mechanicus excubater team, concisting several servitors and a squad of Skitarii.
When no contact was made with the magos for several weeks, a search and rescue mission was mounted this time with two entire platoons of Skitarii. Contact was imideatly lost with this party, and within 2 days contact was
lost with the entire moon.
Orbital scans showed there were still humanoids present on the moon, though these were confirmed to be of metal of unknown origin. As request for assistance and information were sent up the echelons of the Mechanicus, the humanoids were confirmed to be Necrons. Thus the entire Ravus system were put to high alert, and request for assistance were sent to the military branches.".....

Feel free to comment btw

Faustburg
03-09-2008, 11:35
Sounds good, although I would move up the time frame a bit, as by M40 all that was awake in the Necron tombs was the occasional Tomb spyder lazily drifting along with a feather duster...

nazrag
03-09-2008, 12:07
Good point, didn't know that :)

ChrisMurray
03-09-2008, 12:48
Hi. As the topic says, I am writing on some fluff for a campaign my local gaming group is holding this autumn. So i wanted to hear what you guys thought about it, is it plausable etc..

......."The Necron threat in the Ravus system had been dorment for aeons. Noone knew when the necrons had come to the system or why they had come.
The reason for their awakening in the Ravus system were unknown, as is the norm with knowledge on the necron threat, but it is heavily believed to be the following event that began it all;

In the early M40s Magos Arktreus led a an excubater team into the caves of CB.014, the moon of Jasconis, as a response to a particulary interesting augar sweep of the core. Confronting Magos General Atroobax with his findings and the promises of great mineral wealth to be found, he was given command of an Adeptus Mechanicus excubater team, concisting several servitors and a squad of Skitarii.
When no contact was made with the magos for several weeks, a search and rescue mission was mounted this time with two entire platoons of Skitarii. Contact was imideatly lost with this party, and within 2 days contact was
lost with the entire moon.
Orbital scans showed there were still humanoids present on the moon, though these were confirmed to be of metal of unknown origin. As request for assistance and information were sent up the echelons of the Mechanicus, the humanoids were confirmed to be Necrons. Thus the entire Ravus system were put to high alert, and request for assistance were sent to the military branches.".....

Feel free to comment btw

My suggestion is in the quote. Just some small changes to the first paragrath to make it flow a little better. And of course you could change the date as suggested. But overall, quite nice.

elvinltl
03-09-2008, 12:53
Hmmm... No Eldar involvement?

Usually when there are Necrons, Eldar will inevitably make an appearance on/back stage.

ChrisMurray
03-09-2008, 12:56
He said it's for a campain so the eldar will turn up as a response to the awakening (as long as there's some eldar payers in the campaign)

nazrag
03-09-2008, 18:31
ohh, there will be eldar, both kinds ;)

I am writing the fluff for all the races (one at the time), why they are in the system etc..

So far it looks like there will be 20 players, orks, guard, daemons, chaos marines, loyalist marines, dark eldar, eldar, necrons, tau and nids :)

setekhite
04-09-2008, 12:04
Sounds good, although I would move up the time frame a bit, as by M40 all that was awake in the Necron tombs was the occasional Tomb spyder lazily drifting along with a feather duster...

Not quite true. The Imperium only wised up to the Necron menance in late M41, but they were around well before that. There is stuff in the background that suggests the Deceiver has been awake since M35 (short story Deus Ex Mechanicus) and what seems to be the first Imperial / Necron engagement was the Skopios Incident in (IIRC) M39 - from the Armageddon campaign background to the Elysian Drop Troops. Again from dusty memory, the massacre of Orks on Gorkamorka by that world's Necrons took place a couple of thousand years before the 40K present day.

So for Necrons to be encountered in early M40, but logged as an unknown menace, is entirely consistent with the background.