PDA

View Full Version : Death Guards

claudiomarino
03-09-2008, 13:17
I'm about to start a Death Guard (DG) army (Forge World style), but I haven't played 40K since the third ed. Hence the following questions:

* In a DG army is all marines Plauge Marines? Or can I have ordinary CSM as well?

* If I choose to have a squad of Plauge Marines they can't have any heavy weapons?

* Are there any difference between ordinary Chaos Terminators and DG Terminators?

Dinadan
03-09-2008, 13:29
For your first question, that's up to you. There is no Death Guard list anymore, just a generic Chaos Marine list, so if you think a Death Guard army is part Plauge Marine parth normal Marine, that's your choice.

For the second question, Plauge Marines can have Plasma Guns, Melta Guns and Flamers in a squad.

For the third question, there's no such thing as a Death Guard Terminator in the codex, just generic terminators with/without an icon of Nurgle in a Death Guard force. There may be a Forgeworld book that has rules for Death Guard Terminators though - but I don't know.

ChrisMurray
03-09-2008, 13:32
Death guard is a good, strong choice and the models are amazing. Right on to your points:

1: Depends how close to the fluff you want to be. I'd say yes, all your basic space marines should be plague marines.

2: Nope, but you do get 2 special weopons instead.

3: There are no more DG termies. Just ordinary termies (that you can give an icon of nurgle to)

That is of course for a death guard army, you could just do a nurgle worshiping army that has plague marines and csm with the mark of nurgle.

Brucopeloso
03-09-2008, 15:03
According to the codex you can mix and match plague marines with any other kind of marines (even Thousand sons) so how much you want to restict your choice is up to you.

If you want to stay true to the DG fluff you can always have plague marines and terminators with the mark of nurgle and rely on some (not too many) vehicles for additional firepower.

This way you will get a perfectly viable and strongly themed force.

claudiomarino
03-09-2008, 15:05
Thank you both (Brucopeloso beat me to it) very much. It was as I asumed then.

To start with I ordered 10 Marines (plus a Rhino) and 5 Terminators. How do you think I should arm them? What is a good base?

Brucopeloso
03-09-2008, 15:30
I cannot comment on terminators as I don't use them but for the plague marine I'd use melta guns and flamers over plasma guns.
Plasma guns are great but if you shoot you cannot assault and plague marines are great in close combat.
I would invest in a power weapon or even a power fist for the aspiring champion as well.

OOT, by the way are you Italian?

claudiomarino
04-09-2008, 14:28
I have understood that Melta guns are the deal 2008. :)

ChrisMurray said I can use two special weapons instead of one. Is that two special weapons for each five or ten marines?

Brucopeloso - Yes, or at least 50% the rest is Swedish.

ChrisMurray
04-09-2008, 15:32
I think-haven't got the codex on me-this is all from mem (and I am getting old now), that it's 2 regardless for PM's.

When I did a PM squad I opted for 2 plasma guns (7 man squad) but then again I love plasma (am using plasma\msl for my Red scorpions)-but you should takenote that I've never played a game of 40k so melta's could well be a better option for all I know.

EVIL INC
04-09-2008, 15:55
I'm about to start a Death Guard (DG) army (Forge World style), but I haven't played 40K since the third ed. Hence the following questions:

1. * In a DG army is all marines Plauge Marines? Or can I have ordinary CSM as well?

2. * If I choose to have a squad of Plauge Marines they can't have any heavy weapons?

3. * Are there any difference between ordinary Chaos Terminators and DG Terminators?
1. It depends on which version of the fluff you prefer. If you want to be a purist and use the original fluff, Death gaurd armies are not just death gaurd foot sloggers, they also have death gaurd assault marines, heavy weapons teams, the whole nine yards. If you want to use the later watered down fluff, then only the steriotype foot sloggers are allowed. The new codex allows you to go back in the direction of the original pure fluff. It doesnt take you all the way there unfortunately, but it does take you in that direction.
2. Your basic "troops" plague marines get 2 special weapons.
3. Death Gaurd terminaters get a +1 toughness.

Solun Decius
04-09-2008, 16:48
ChrisMurray said I can use two special weapons instead of one. Is that two special weapons for each five or ten marines?
It's two special weapons per squad, regardless of squad size. The squad can be 5-20 plague marines.

I usually go for flamers and melta guns for chaos marines, rather than plasma guns, because I like to use the special weapons but still be the first to charge.
However, Plague Marines can really hold their own being shot at and have blight grenades that deny the opponent his charge bonus. It isn't as important to get the charge yourself and the S7-AP2 rapid fire can really make a difference.
So Plague marines would be the only squad where I'd consider Plasma Guns over Melta or Flamers.
Melta vs. Flamers depends on opponent. Against Marines and heavy tanks melta guns can really make a difference but agains orks and imp. guard the flamer can take down whole squads in one go.
For a balanced force I'd go for 50/50 flamers and melta guns and I'd definitely use Plasma as well, you can't charge straight out of a rhino so 2 plasma guns can really make your disembarkment count.

EDIT: I still haven't decided myself if I'd rather put one flamer and one melta in each squad or have a squad with 2 flamers and another with 2 meltas. The former is more versatile, the latter hits harder if you manage to get both squads to the right enemies.

Koschai
04-09-2008, 16:57
I never thought I'd see it... someone who actually refers back to the original fluff and doesn't subscribe (and insist everyone else subscribe) to the steriotypes-R-us Death Guard approach! I applaud you.

Anyway as to the questions.

1) I'd take Plague Marines as Troops simply because they are rock hard, versatile, look fantastic and give a great overall feel to the army. They aer easily worth the extra points. However regular marked marines are okay if your stretching for points or more bodies on the battlefield.

2) Plague marines can only have special weapons. I like plasma as with FNP the odds of self immolation are small (and the dirty weaponry approach feels fitting). However for a more assault oriented approach melta's are good. They are too short ranged for me though.

3) Terminators are just terminators unfortunatly so give them a mark, paint em up and model them appropriatly.

4) Though you didn't ask for it but it was mentioned above... Most steriotype DG armies are very limited in heavy weaponry. This can be overcome with some use of vehicals or Obliterators (and I'll stand my ground against those who say a fluffy DG army cannot use them but of course it's personal choice at the end of the day).

A good Demon prince and sufficient troops can however simply overwhelm a mech based enemy if played well and in 5th editions vehicals are more survivable vs range fire and weaker vs assaults anyway...

My 2 cents

Koschai

Whitehorn
04-09-2008, 17:02
Plague marines are actually one of the toughest units you can take in the list. i would suggest trying a full army of hem. They are TROOPS, double up on special weapons are are bloody tough!

roguemarine
04-09-2008, 17:23
especially now with 5th rules, you can make a really good DG list that will have at the least 4 scoring units that will not be pushed off objectives easy, and for KP missions they will again be hard to destroy from small arms fire

claudiomarino
05-09-2008, 15:14
You guys are the best! Thank you all very much.

I'll settle for a army withe a base of Plague Marines as troops.

In the thread about Chaos Lords I read about "Personal Icon", how do they work? I think I'm going to have a lord in terminator armor with four or five terminator bodyguards.

If any of you can refer to some DG images I'd be happy.

Preston
05-09-2008, 15:46
Personal icons guide teleporting (re: deep striking termies and Obliterators) and summoned daemons into play, allowing you to place them w/in 6" of the icon with no scatter.

claudiomarino
08-09-2008, 16:05
Wow thats really good. Can see why I've seen it in many lists.

Since I'm only using Forge World parts I'm thinking on using regular Space Marine and Terminator arms and legs for my models instead of Chaos. Is there more to cut away than the little seal and ribbon?

claudiomarino
12-09-2008, 12:05
Yesterday I got my first order from Forge World, soon I'm about to start a Painting Blog :)

Anybody feeling up to answer my last question?

Solun Decius
12-09-2008, 12:41
I think the imperial eagle is only on the torsos so You'll be allright if you're still using chaos torsos.
The crux terminatus is an imperial honor so many would claim a Chaos marine would abandon that along with his allegiance.
I think the Crux Terminatus is on the left shoulder pad of all terminors and the right shoulder of many veteran sergeants and commanders.
I actually left the Crux on my Chaos Lord as a symbol of his status within the Chapter, rather than an imperial honor.

Jos
12-09-2008, 12:42
A Modelling knive and some common sense will do that for you (don't cut towards yourself or your thumb. don't cut towards furnature you care about a.s.f...)

Får vi se dig på gothcon?

ChrisMurray
12-09-2008, 13:27
Can't wait to see a painting\modeling log for this.

As to your question-no, you won't need to do anything to the legs or arms as your using the FW kits they replace all body parts which would have Imperial icons on. However if your using imperial bolters and other weapons you may need to file off the imp. eagles from those.

claudiomarino
12-09-2008, 13:42
Once again I thank you all. I intend to use a lot of bolters so I guess I need to go with a box of CSP instead. Besides I need that Nurgel banner (icon?).

Jos - Nej detta är ett "pet-project" så det lär ta tid.

ChrisMurray
12-09-2008, 13:52
The imperial eagles on the bolters aren't raised very much and a quite small, fileing them off would be easy and save you money if you already have them. As for the icon, although it might be nice to have one of the GW Nurgle ones, if you wanna save on cost and make each squad individual remember that icons don't have to be the big "flag pole" version, it could be anything from a nurglified book to a rotting head trothy. They can be represented by many things.

claudiomarino
19-09-2008, 15:38
Here we go again with yet another noob question;

According to this: http://belloflostsouls.blogspot.com/2008/08/armylist-5th-ed-plaguespear-2000-pts.html army list it's OK to use demons in a CSM army for 5th ed. or am I confused in any way?

Staurikosaurus
19-09-2008, 16:36
Two things to mention here:

1. judging from your questions, you REALLY need to buy Codex: Chaos Space Marines.

2. you may use daemons in a CSM army, they are lesser daemons however, see the codex for details

Batwings
19-09-2008, 17:55
And to be truly fluffy, every squad should be 7 Marines strong.

Dates back to the day when each of the Chaos deities had a number associated with them.

claudiomarino
22-09-2008, 14:05
Staurikosaurus - Yeah, I really DO need to buy it. Just need to get down to my GW store :) Sweet news, cause I really love those Plaugebearers, not to mention the Greater Demon (Forge World)!

Batwings - Interesting, so Nurgel have number seven. That should be take in consideration.

ChrisMurray
22-09-2008, 14:13
You can use the plague bearer models and the great unclean one (FW model is sexy), just remember that in the codex they won't be listed as those, ust as lesser deamons and greater daemons with generic profiles and rules.

Bregalad
22-09-2008, 17:45
Always remember that Death Guard is the name of the traitor chapter, so whatever the rules, all SM models should look like Nurgle, even if they are neither Plague Marines nor bear the mark of nurgle rulewise.

claudiomarino
06-05-2009, 17:57
It's really about time I give you the painting blog URL as I FINALLY got started:

http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197724