PDA

View Full Version : Tzeentch Bomb

Mozzamanx
03-09-2008, 17:41
Ello chaps,

I was thinking of a potentially game breaking combination, involving just 2 characters (and about 800pts..).

Kairos- Choose Drain Life, Crown of Taidron & Doom and Darkness, plus another to compliment. Personally, I would support with Steal Soul, but that's not important.
Herald of Tzeentch- Power Vortex, Winged Horror, Battle Standard, Great Icon of Despair.

Just start off with a lil dakka dakka, possibly optimizing Kairos' 'nice' head for that and having the Herald in a unit. Maybe thrrow a Bolt of Change or Comet of Cassandora at some of the nastier units. In your second turn, fly both models into the densest part of the enemy battle line.

Kairos can cast Boon of Tzeentch for some tasty death, and the Herald can do whatever he pleases. Then Kairos casts Crown of Taidron, Drain Life, and Gift of Chaos with all of the dice he can have. Then Doom whatever unit is the most threatening.

Hur hur. Every enemy unit within 12" takes 3D6 hits, at a respectable S4, D6 or ignoring armour. In the enemy turn, you can expect a couple of panic checks, followed by Terror, at -2 Leadership. A particularly threatening unit can have -5. A fairly large section of the enemy will be killed, or at least scared off. Coupled with Flamer support or some more Heralds, you can easily wipe out whole sections of his army.

It's far from perfect, with 3 obvious downsides. First, it won't work on ItP models. No problem, just use the other head and Tzeentch spells to shoot 'em up from afar. Second, it puts 2 fragile models right in front of the enemy. As I said, alot of people will be running off, plus the fact that you can always Doom units out of a charge. Third, the Herald can be hit by Kairos. That 4+ Ward save is nothing to sneeze at, and there's always the option of a Chariot for protection.

So yeah, that's my one-trick-pony for today. Whatcha reckon?

ROCKY
03-09-2008, 21:00
Ello chaps,

I was thinking of a potentially game breaking combination, involving just 2 characters (and about 800pts..).

Kairos- Choose Drain Life, Crown of Taidron & Doom and Darkness, plus another to compliment. Personally, I would support with Steal Soul, but that's not important.
Herald of Tzeentch- Power Vortex, Winged Horror, Battle Standard, Great Icon of Despair.

Just start off with a lil dakka dakka, possibly optimizing Kairos' 'nice' head for that and having the Herald in a unit. Maybe thrrow a Bolt of Change or Comet of Cassandora at some of the nastier units. In your second turn, fly both models into the densest part of the enemy battle line.

Kairos can cast Boon of Tzeentch for some tasty death, and the Herald can do whatever he pleases. Then Kairos casts Crown of Taidron, Drain Life, and Gift of Chaos with all of the dice he can have. Then Doom whatever unit is the most threatening.

Hur hur. Every enemy unit within 12" takes 3D6 hits, at a respectable S4, D6 or ignoring armour. In the enemy turn, you can expect a couple of panic checks, followed by Terror, at -2 Leadership. A particularly threatening unit can have -5. A fairly large section of the enemy will be killed, or at least scared off. Coupled with Flamer support or some more Heralds, you can easily wipe out whole sections of his army.

It's far from perfect, with 3 obvious downsides. First, it won't work on ItP models. No problem, just use the other head and Tzeentch spells to shoot 'em up from afar. Second, it puts 2 fragile models right in front of the enemy. As I said, alot of people will be running off, plus the fact that you can always Doom units out of a charge. Third, the Herald can be hit by Kairos. That 4+ Ward save is nothing to sneeze at, and there's always the option of a Chariot for protection.

So yeah, that's my one-trick-pony for today. Whatcha reckon?

Its very nice but wouldnt it just be easier to take a keeper of secrets (he can fight as well) and give him the siren song, and temptator, and allure, then take two heralds of tzeentch, and the masque? you could give -2 to everyone and -5 to upt to 3 units (two dooms and darknesses from the heralds and one from the masque) take 3 units of 10 horrors, and everything else flesh hounds and fiends. your army will be in fight by turn 2 and keeper has the shards of slaanesh D6S5 hit on a unit and keeps hitting until they pass a leadership test (hard to do when u have ld of 2) and the rest can be terror bombed. turn 3 anything left of opponents army begins to move but WAIT siren song +allure+temptator. yep game over.

Lijacote
04-09-2008, 01:53

The OP posted a literal bomb, not a Terror Bomb. Gift of Chaos, Drain Life and Crown of Taidron. All area-of-effect spells. Not to mention, the Slaaneshi leadership dance-of-tests isn't very original, I think everyone knows it by now.

I like Mozzamanx' idea. Tzeentch has tactical and strategic nukes it seems :D

John Vaughan
05-09-2008, 02:28
My dream list has actaully worked via proxy. It worked somewhere like this:

Lord of Change
2 Heads
Power Vortex

Heralds of Tzeentch x3
Power Vortex
Winged Horror

10 Horrors
Icons of sorcery

10 Horrors
Icons of sorcery

10 Horrors
Icons of sorcery

10 Horrors
Icons of sorcery

10 Horrors
Icons of sorcery

10 Horrors
Icons of sorcery

25 Horrors
Icon of sorcery

You bet, thats 24 power dice every magic phase, almost all at either +1 or +2 to cast, in addition to 14 dispel dice. Hey VC, try to get off a spell now!

gary0044187
05-09-2008, 02:30
from what I remember you cannot take the same gift/magic item more than once per army or the same banner, has that changed?

John Vaughan
05-09-2008, 04:19
I am not sure either, cuz I dont have the army book, nor do I actually play Daemons (yet :evilgrin:). You might be right, but I was under the impression that you could, simply because it was under the unit entry. Eh, that probably the new format, and my bad.

Akuma
05-09-2008, 06:20
you can :L)

ROCKY
05-09-2008, 21:02
you can take as many gifts of the same kind as u want (the only thing u cant do with gifts if have multiples of the same gifts on the same demon) and is twin heads 75points? if so then u cant use that combo due to power vortex being 30pts. besides i would recommend tzeentchs will and power vortex.

EvC
05-09-2008, 21:17
I know the main aim of the game is to win, but when did making the game as completely dull and un-fun at the same time become the second most important part?

Mozzamanx
05-09-2008, 21:20
The second Games Workshop removed the composition element in tournaments.

I don't actually play Daemons, or own any of their models. I just find it amusing to break lists from time to time.

Oenghus
05-09-2008, 21:32
I know the main aim of the game is to win, but when did making the game as completely dull and un-fun at the same time become the second most important part?

Amen.

Obviously anything goes in tournaments, and breaking lists on the internet doesn't hurt anyone, but it would be a sad day if I ever saw this sort of thing in a friendly game.

sulla
05-09-2008, 22:14
You bet, thats 24 power dice every magic phase, almost all at either +1 or +2 to cast, in addition to 14 dispel dice. Hey VC, try to get off a spell now!

With 7 horror units it would be pretty hard to deploy them all to support each other. I suppose you could deploy them all in formations 1 model wide to turtle up... You would already be making few friends playing this list so you may as well go the whole hog.

Dead Man Walking
05-09-2008, 22:46
I had to play a player who fielded khairos, 2 tzentch daemons on chariots (one with -2 ldrship banner) the Masque, 3 units of 10 horrors, 3 units of 3 screamers, 1 unit of flamers and a unit of slaanesh fiends. He would drop all your leaderships and then just jump in with Khairos and since verything practically moves 20 inches you cant really set him up for a charge. He also pit of shades you after dropping initiative. And this guy plays this set up every game, even friendly games.

After round 3 I gave up, I wont play against that list again unless its a tourney and I have no choice.

Jerrus
05-09-2008, 23:26
I've faced an alternative "Tzeentch Bomb".

3 x 26 Horrors (full command and casting banner)
3 x Tzeentch Heralds (all with power vortex and a BSB with the bound spell banner)
some other crap (possibly Furies)

He was casting 6 Gift of Chaos a turn, which really puts a dent in almost any army :(

John Vaughan
06-09-2008, 21:30
Ouch...That hurts...

The_Dark_Lord
07-09-2008, 14:51
My dream list has actaully worked via proxy. It worked somewhere like this:

Lord of Change
2 Heads
Power Vortex

Heralds of Tzeentch x3
Power Vortex
Winged Horror

10 Horrors
Icons of sorcery

10 Horrors
Icons of sorcery

10 Horrors
Icons of sorcery

10 Horrors
Icons of sorcery

10 Horrors
Icons of sorcery

10 Horrors
Icons of sorcery

25 Horrors
Icon of sorcery

the only thing is, you cant have the same magic banner, nowhere does it say they are like daemonic gifts, and in the FAQ it states that you can take multiple daemonic gifts, but not daemonic icons, they are, in fact, magic items, and so can only have 1 of the same per army.

BattleofLund
07-09-2008, 15:38
I've faced an alternative "Tzeentch Bomb".

3 x 26 Horrors (full command and casting banner)
3 x Tzeentch Heralds (all with power vortex and a BSB with the bound spell banner)
some other crap (possibly Furies)

He was casting 6 Gift of Chaos a turn, which really puts a dent in almost any army :(

1) Isn't the range of Gift of Chaos 12"?

2) The Heralds still select their spells randomly, right?

Still, your main point ('really puts a dent in almost any army :(') is undisputable. Scary amount of magic, but should be possible to knock down a little with missile fire against the Horror blocks.

Jerrus
07-09-2008, 22:59
1) Isn't the range of Gift of Chaos 12"?

2) The Heralds still select their spells randomly, right?

Still, your main point ('really puts a dent in almost any army :(') is undisputable. Scary amount of magic, but should be possible to knock down a little with missile fire against the Horror blocks.

Yes, the range is 12", but that's why he took 26 so he could cast Bolt of Change if needed the first turns. And with a herald in each unit they all had 4+ Ward saves.

He got lucky, rolled Gift of Chaos on all 3 Heralds :(

John Vaughan
08-09-2008, 03:42
I barely, barely believe that. :) Thats just icky.

Sirisaacnuton
08-09-2008, 05:36
I had to play a player who fielded khairos, 2 tzentch daemons on chariots (one with -2 ldrship banner) the Masque, 3 units of 10 horrors, 3 units of 3 screamers, 1 unit of flamers and a unit of slaanesh fiends. He would drop all your leaderships and then just jump in with Khairos and since verything practically moves 20 inches you cant really set him up for a charge. He also pit of shades you after dropping initiative. And this guy plays this set up every game, even friendly games.

After round 3 I gave up, I wont play against that list again unless its a tourney and I have no choice.

That guy sounds like a real jackass. But if it wasn't a tournament, why was it that you had to play him?

John Vaughan
09-09-2008, 22:54
For some, it feels offensive to turn someone down out of fear of losing.