Lordsaradain
03-09-2008, 19:42
PHHPP
PHHPP
PPPPP
PPPPP

H = Herald on palaquin of Nurgle
P = Plaguebearer

Would this unit get a full rank bonus (+3) even though there is only 4 "models" in the front, as the herald on palaquin takes up extra space?

Atrahasis
03-09-2008, 20:08
Short answer : we don't know.

Long answer : we don't know unless the guidance in the 6th edition Annuals can be applied, in which case yes, it would.

Crube
03-09-2008, 20:14
My take on it is that RAI is yes you do get full rank bonus. Same as for the Screaming Bell. But as has been stated, we don't know for certain.

Wadders
03-09-2008, 20:52
RAW is no you do not.

p.38 Formation must be 5 models wide. You are only 4 in the front and second rank.

The old 6th edition errata does not exist as it is out of date.

Many people do over look this for depth (cavalry or true 5 models wide), but i do not know about width (unless stated by the entry) as it does not come up often.

ROCKY
03-09-2008, 23:08
hmmm or one can simply avoid this all together and take 14bearers and a planequin so it would look like:
PPPHHP
PPPHHP
PPPPPP
thus taking advantage of the planequin (thus noxious vapors) AND getting your ranks.

WLBjork
04-09-2008, 08:36
Not quite Rocky. Technically, in the 2nd rank there are only 4 models (I really ought to copy the old diagram some time...).

For convienience and to avoid ugly looking units, I'd go with the first being perfectly acceptable.

DeathlessDraich
04-09-2008, 08:57
PHHPP
PHHPP
PPPPP
PPPPP

H = Herald on palaquin of Nurgle
P = Plaguebearer

Would this unit get a full rank bonus (+3) even though there is only 4 "models" in the front, as the herald on palaquin takes up extra space?

As Atrahasis said, there is no short answer to this and a compromise is needed.

A few other rules will be affected by this and it is necessary to apply the same interpretation consistently e.g. If the full rank bonus is awarded for the above.

Suppose the unit is reduced to PPHHP
.............................................HH..
1) Shooting against this unit is not randomised!?
2) Impact hits from a chariot in the rear is not randomised!?
3) Look Out Sir?!

I've always interpreted the over sized character base in a unit as being 1 model only.

ROCKY
04-09-2008, 09:58
Not quite Rocky. Technically, in the 2nd rank there are only 4 models (I really ought to copy the old diagram some time...).

For convienience and to avoid ugly looking units, I'd go with the first being perfectly acceptable.

I see what your saying bro but if u think about it the planiquin is a kind of mount thingy (it has nurglings with six attacks) so u could argue that his rear is a model as well O_o.

T10
04-09-2008, 13:42
While I applaud mainiting an aesthetically pleasing unit formation, I don't much approve of how this artificially inflates the unit's size with regards to rank bonuses.

A unit consisting of only 17 models should not claim a +3 rank bonus.

-T10