PDA

View Full Version : conflictions of my hobby

nurgle_boy
24-04-2005, 19:05
ok, ive been into the hobby for about 5 years now, and ive always been into both painting and gaming. untill lately.

ive not wanted to game or collect an army for ages, and when i start an army i cant stick to it as something else always seems to come up. all ive wanted to do is paint, and convert nice models.

sooo... should i completely drop the gameing for a while (apart from inquisitor, few models, and all really nice) and just paint what i want to?

i dont want to collect and own a nid army, because in the end ill just sell it fo something else. id rather spend my money on models id like to paint, like the bloodletter command, or some dark elf corsairs.

Ethereal Alpaca
24-04-2005, 19:54
I think most of us go through periods where we just don't have the enthusiasm to do any GW-related stuff. So I say just play a bit of Inquisitor when you feel like it, then hopefully sooner or later you'll find a spark of enthusiasm to start up a new army.

Broomstick
24-04-2005, 20:19
Have you tried playing narrative games or big campaigns with friends? That way, you can convert nice models for a good purpose (other than your own satisfaction) and use them. It helps if you're a bit lost with the gaming side, and helps you stick with one army.

theimp
24-04-2005, 20:32
I don't play either dude. Collect what you like and don't sweat the rules. Besides, once you abandon GW it opens up an entire world of other figure manufacturers, see my links page for a few examples.

EVIL INC
24-04-2005, 21:49
Yes, no reason you cant use stuff from other companies. Just cant use it in "official" games.
True, there are times when you just dont feel very "g.w.ish". Just do something else for a while. Doesnt mean you cant still paint and collect. After all, the stuff doesnt eat oats, it only takes up space.

The pestilent 1
24-04-2005, 22:28
ive not played 40k (or fantasy, or LOTR's) for a while now, must be approaching a year.
i have however been given a new burst of inspiration from somthing, and my daemon prince (and numerous chaos lords...) are finally getting that long overdue conversion work ive been promising myself.

long story short; if you dont feel like painting/modelling/gaming/whathaveyou, dont!
the joy of that part of the hobby will return to you eventually, it just may take a while is all.

arxhon
24-04-2005, 23:02
I haven't wargamed in nearly two years.

The people that play 40k drove me batty with their childishness, and fantasy battle requires too much work for me to put my armies back into commission.

Don't sweat it. There's no crime in dropping a hobby for a coulpe of years.

m1s1n
24-04-2005, 23:11
As everyone is saying--not all gamers play on a weekly--or even monthly--basis. It's a game, play it when you want to. You should never feel obligated to do something that is designed for entertainment--that's why I broke up with my ex-girlfriend.

Crazy Harborc
25-04-2005, 01:39
Once upon a time, 28mm wasn't. 35mm, 54mm, 25mm and various other scales. Wargaming was known, even played by many collectors of military miniatures. Painting minies for the joy of it and to place on a shelf for viewing IS a hobby too.

As long as you don't use them at a GW official event OR try to make money selling them, you can convert, kitbash, including "cross kitbash, mix and match parts". It IS your money and once you pay in full it's YOUR minies/models, do as you wish for your own enjoyment.

Beefstick
25-04-2005, 06:15
I just haven't been able to get excited about painting GW lately either. My BA army needs only a few more peices for me to feel that they are really "done", but I'm so tired of painting red that I can't do it. I've been taking time off to paint Reaper Miniatures (http://www.reapermini.com/) for my D&D game. I love it because every mini gets it's own colour scheme and I can try new effects and styles freely. My sort-of-current-goal is to get a really nice comprehensive box of well painted models together to be used by the next person who wants to run a game. I'm sure I'll eventually paint these snipers, extra DC, and this Land Raider, but until then at least I'm painting something. :)

Scabby
26-04-2005, 19:45
Take a break from the hobby or just paint/convert. I've seen this happen many times to friends. The one tip I can give is don't get rid of your minis. All the people I've known who've done that end up regretting it.

Crazy Harborc
26-04-2005, 20:10
Scabby.......sounds like he has "been there and done that" too. Whether, a break lasts only a few days or even months(years). Save that stuff put it away, out of sight, out of mind.

There are lots of (ex)gamers who still paint and collect minies/toy soldiers. As long as I have my collection I can still be that boy, that man of decades ago.

Once you no longer have the "things" you have now......they are gone and soon forgotten. That is not always a good thing.

Ouroboros
26-04-2005, 20:23
If you lived closer we'd make a perfect team. My hobby rot is exactly the opposite from yours. I love the gaming, the scenarios and the interaction with people but I'm starting to really detest the painting, resulting in a lot of half-assed jobs getting on the table.

I look at painting now as the work I have to do before I'm allowed to have the fun.

nurgle_boy
26-04-2005, 20:51
sscabby, let me say this, id never get rid of my minis, or quit the whole hobby. too good to get out of....

the reason i dont like gaming, is because it doesnt appeal, and the fact theres so many identical or similar models, that need to be painted the same...

anyway, im staring my 'paint what i like, how i like' this sunday... 33 of pretty models.... bloodletter command.... wood elf wardancer champion..... avatar...... mmmmm

Wolflord Bloodangel
27-04-2005, 13:04
Ive always detested the painting :(

Ive managed to get about 8000p of my stuff painted, but not a single miniature of which I am happy with. And its only half because Im an awful painter, because not one model is painted to the best of my ability, I just dislike painting too much :(:(

The one thing thats been the basis of my hobby though is the collecting and converting of models, as I spent my childhood too far away from any great masses of population, and as such didnt really get to play regularly until a year or so ago. Now I play roughly one game a week, and have enough tourneys to keep me happy and Im absolutely loving it...

hairyman
27-04-2005, 13:42
I look at painting now as the work I have to do before I'm allowed to have the fun.

Snap.

I have a pile of orks unpainted orks and am already sick of the colour green. I love playing with them, though. I have a friend who almost exclusively paints and converts, though. Works for him, and he gets as much fun out of it as I do out of gaming.

Just so what you want to, paint what and when you want to, and don't view 's of expenditure as an obligation to play.

Sai-Lauren
27-04-2005, 13:51
I would say that you should just paint what you want to - although try and put the odd figure from the bottom of the list in to be painted just so that you don't wind up with a pile of stuff that you're wondering why you bought it. And stick your purchase money in a coffee jar or something so you don't wind up building a back log of stuff. :D

Don't worry about it, sooner or later something will come along that'll re-inspire you.

Adept
27-04-2005, 15:26
Crazy Harborc, you are a most wise man.

Crazy Harborc
28-04-2005, 01:11
Adept.......So too are you a wise man. :) I thank you for your words.

I admit I have many blisters of "not now, but someday" minies. I want to use them with an army but NOT paint them. It's nice to know there are others who do the same.

A problem for me is not wanting to paint minies that I am not/will not be using "as the paint dries". That makes painting 40k minies while planning the next battle in WHFB. Oh well, it's a dirty job, somebody's gotta do it :D

Adept
28-04-2005, 09:34
A problem for me is not wanting to paint minies that I am not/will not be using "as the paint dries". That makes painting 40k minies while planning the next battle in WHFB. Oh well, it's a dirty job, somebody's gotta do it :D

Same here. If it's not a model or unit I plan on using immediately, the motivation to paint is sorely lacking.

Darwin_green
28-04-2005, 10:24
damn.. I think I'll collect that warmaster army I've always wanted just to paint it... doesn't matter if I never get a game with it as long as I'm satisfied with it.

...Or, I could be fanning the flames of my addiction...

crap.

Crazy Harborc
02-05-2005, 01:00
Just added to my version of the hobby of wargaming........Starship Troopers. I mention that because there is very little wasted pieces. No 16 left over whatevers you "just have to save just in case". You get what you paid for. A box of 8 MIs troops has the parts needed to make all 8 without not useable extra bits instead of useable ones.

Samoth
02-05-2005, 14:01
Same here. If it's not a model or unit I plan on using immediately, the motivation to paint is sorely lacking.

Hence the 40 guardsmen, 12 fire warriors, 16 kroot and dozen or so scouts sitting on my painting table. :D

Adept
02-05-2005, 14:43
Hence the 40 guardsmen, 12 fire warriors, 16 kroot and dozen or so scouts sitting on my painting table. :D

Hell, you got it light. I've got over 2,500 pts of Empire, 1000 pts of High Elves, a dozen or so undead models, 45 Hormagaunts, three seperate human Mordheim warbands and two IG heavy weapons teams. Plus I'm in the middle of repainting 4,000 pts of Bretonnians.

And the overlord keeps insisting I paint everything before I buy new stuff, what with the new Carnifexes coming out as well!

Crazy Harborc
03-05-2005, 00:50
I have stuff to paint "stashed away out of sight" in the basement. Some of my stacks are composed of boxes of left over bits. My "Overlord"/wife long ago lost track of what's what and where what is. :)