PDA

View Full Version : Wood elf army for compertition. 500 points.

Kahadras
04-09-2008, 11:43
My club is planning to start a small Warhammer competition running with 500 point armies. My initial idea was to enter my Empire army but I thought it might be nice to have a change and go with something else. I was looking through my room and dug out the Wood Elf armies book that I had picked up last year on a whim and decided that it might be fun to do something different.

I decided that I wanted a proper Wood Elf army (none of this forest spirit stuff). So I started designing my list with that in mind. Firstly I wanted a hero to lead my army. I pretty much decided that I wasn't going to bother with magic and with my 'no forest spirit' policy the only real option left open was a Wood Elf noble.

For my basic core choices I went for two units of ten strong Glade Guard. These guys should give me a decent amount of ranged firepower. The Glade Guard and Noble ate up a large chunk of the 500 points and I was torn between using the remaining points to buy a combat unit (War dancers) or something else. At the end of the day I decided that I wanted maneverability over combat power so went for a small unit of Glade Riders. I quite rate these guys as they are fast cavalry and come equipt with both spears and long bows. I decided to give them a musician to help when they end up having to run away from anything remotely good in close combat.

This left me with about 60 points left to spend. I decided to invest in a Great Eagle which will give me even more speed and I can use it to hunt down any missile units and war machines my opponant might take. This left just a few points spare which I spent on some bits and pieces of equipment for my Noble. The final list ended up looking like this...

Noble + great weapon, light armour and shield = 81p

10 Glade Guard = 120p
10 Glade Guard = 120p
5 Glade Riders + musician = 129p

Great eagle = 50p

= 500p

The basic plan is to hold the center with my Glade guard while using my mobile units on the wings. I'll avoid combat while laying down a hail of missile fire. If the worst does come to the worst I'll try to combine charges with my Glade Riders and Great eagle

Kahadras

Benigno (WE)
04-09-2008, 11:55
Which table size are you playing those games?

Kahadras
04-09-2008, 16:02
We're probably going to start off on 4x4 tables. Still should still be plenty of room to maneuver IMHO concidering the size of the armies that will initialy be involved.

Kahadras