PDA

View Full Version : Can Malekith use any number of power dice?

Arnizipal
04-09-2008, 15:12
Malekith is a level 4 mage, but he doesn't have the Druchii Sorcery special rule (like the regular Sorceresses and Morathi). Does this mean his power dice are limited as normal?

Archon.42
04-09-2008, 15:21
unfortunately, by the rules...no
but this may very well be covered in the FAQ when released

Gazak Blacktoof
04-09-2008, 15:24
It might be a typo as was the case with the High Elf book with regards to Teclis.

If he doesn't have the rule he wont gain the benefit but opponents might be open to letting you have it if you ask nicely.

Spirit
04-09-2008, 15:30
yea because it's sooo often you want to use 6 dice to cast a spell. At least i wouldnt risk it...

Dark_Mage99
04-09-2008, 15:37
I would play that he can use the rule - it's most likely to be a mistake. But as Spirit says, it's not often you would want or need to anyway.

Benigno (WE)
04-09-2008, 17:22
Oh yeah, use 6 dice to cast a spell, and your oponent will use gladly his dispel scroll...

Malorian
04-09-2008, 17:32
Oh yeah, use 6 dice to cast a spell, and your oponent will use gladly his dispel scroll...

IF he didn't miscast...

Condottiere
04-09-2008, 17:52
Or if Malekith got IF.

Arnizipal
05-09-2008, 06:43
yea because it's sooo often you want to use 6 dice to cast a spell. At least i wouldnt risk it...
I wouldn't use it, but it seems odd to me that he's less skilled with Dark magic than a level 1 sorceress.

Condottiere
05-09-2008, 07:04
I can't think of any reason to use more than five die to cast.

Ozma's Apprentice
05-09-2008, 07:09
According to RAW, the Witch King can only use 5 dice to cast a spell. In a similar fashion he is not listed as a sorceress which means that there is, at least theoretically, no maximum number of wounds he can gain from a sucessful soul stealer attack.

Imagine what happens when he targets a big skink unit...

That said you can always agree with your opponent to use Malekith as a Druchii Sorceress for the purposes of the magic phase. Until the inevetable FAQ of course.

Gazak Blacktoof
05-09-2008, 14:54
In a similar fashion he is not listed as a sorceress which means that there is, at least theoretically, no maximum number of wounds he can gain from a sucessful soul stealer attack.

Imagine what happens when he targets a big skink unit...

The terms sorceress, sorcerer, wizard, mage, etc all refer to a model that casts spells- see the top of page 105 in the BRB magic section.

Malekith or somebody stealing the spell (whether a wizard or not) from a sorceress is still subject to the same limitations and benefits.

Read Sorceress as- "the spell's caster".

gaiaterra
05-09-2008, 16:44
The terms sorceress, sorcerer, wizard, mage, etc all refer to a model that casts spells- see the top of page 105 in the BRB magic section.

Malekith or somebody stealing the spell (whether a wizard or not) from a sorceress is still subject to the same limitations and benefits.

Read Sorceress as- "the spell's caster".

However Scorceress is an actual unit type (Character Type) in the Dark Elf Armybook and the spell specifically says Scorceresses are limited to only double wounds, so technically the Witch King can have infinite wounds, it is very RAW and against all common sense (which is why Malekith stayed at 6 wounds inststead of 11 when he blasted previously mentioned skinks, he only needed his starting 3 anyway) but Warhammer has never run on common sense.

Dont worry it will all be FAQ'd within the next couple of months...
well 6 months... a year at the worst.

Gazak Blacktoof
05-09-2008, 17:12
I wouldn't even consider that RAW, that's just bending the rules.

Axis
06-09-2008, 12:26
Dont worry it will all be FAQ'd within the next couple of months...
well 6 months... a year at the worst.

haha, or maybe 2 years ... zzz

Arnizipal
06-09-2008, 14:03
While we're on the topic of Malekith, how does his armour work against miscast result 3/4? It says in the desciption it's a magical backlash.

gaiaterra
07-09-2008, 00:02
While we're on the topic of Malekith, how does his armour work against miscast result 3/4? It says in the desciption it's a magical backlash.

Tricky one. Now common sense says its magical, but as I always say common sense is worth jack all in the Warhammer World.

However magical attacks are very particular and if it does not say in the rules that its magical then it is not.

I would personally go with they are magical and no save for the Witch King, as much as I like Malekith he has to have one or two down sides.